Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Request: How to keep wallet offline and safe.

Discussion in 'Daemon and QT Wallet Guides' started by JMW, Mar 31, 2015.

1. UdjinM6

UdjinM6 Official Dash Dev
    Dash Core Team Moderator

Ok, that was my bad I guess.. :oops: I thought those bip38 implementations use compressed format and I was surprised to find out that walletgenerator actually use obsolete uncompressed format by default. I guess your bip38 encoder does so too.
    So. In that case to get access to your funds you need to decrypt it as you already did before but import "Private Key WIF (51 characters) Base58" instead.
    Sorry for that confusion...

• Like Like x 1
  2. JCM

JCM New Member

I've tried that too that's the private key that starts with 7 right? "Private Key WIF (51 characters) Base58". Did not work as well. So far I've tried importing Private Key WIF (51 characters Base58 and private key 52 characters Base58. Still no joy.

#32 JCM, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
  3. UdjinM6

Dash Core Team Moderator

Hmmm....ok, let's review what exactly are you trying to do and what you expect to happen. Step by step from the very beginning pls.

4. JCM

JCM New Member

I am trying to withdraw funds out of my bip38 encrypted paper wallet onto my dash qt wallet.
    1.I decrypted my privkey from wallet generator site via the wallet details tab.
    2. Grabbed the decrypted privkey. Private Key WIF 51 characters Base58 and private key 52 characters Base58
    3. Went back to debug window unlock the dash qt wallet first and then input walletpassphrase "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" "99999"
    Entered the script importprivkey "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

So ive tried importing private key with both private key 51 characters Base58 starts with "X" & 52 characters Base58 STARTS WITH "7". Funds are not moving. I checked dash block chain explorer the funds are still there.

5. UdjinM6

Dash Core Team Moderator

I guess there is some misunderstanding:
    importing private keys = gaining access to funds
    sending transaction = moving funds

To move funds you need to have access in the fist place but simply gaining access does not move your funds.

Have you ever funded this paper wallet address? What address do you check in blockchain (do not tell the exact one if you want to keep it private, just where you got it from)?

6. JCM

JCM New Member

Yes I have funded it. I check the public address in the blockchain. Don't I get the funds instantly after importing private keys?

7. UdjinM6

Dash Core Team Moderator

If that is correct private key (the one that corresponds to Dash address) you should see them in wallet balance right after you imported private key. But technically saying funds do not move anywhere, you just see them and can control in some way.

When you decrypt bip38 private key - does any of public keys on Wallet Details page match the one you are trying to check via blockchain explorer?

8. JCM

JCM New Member

Yes the public keys match from the wallet detail to the blockchain explorer. S o how do move those funds to my wallet? Just to let you know ive tried sendfrom address and sendto address scripts to ive been trying all kinds of commands fom the help menu the following are the things ive tried
    -senfrom "dashaddress" "toaddress" amount
    -sendtoaddress "dashaddress" amount.

I receive a message saying insuffiecient funds. This is after checking from blockchain and verifying that there are funds. Thanks for your help by the way

#38 JCM, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
  9. moli

moli Grizzled Member

What do you mean about "S o how do move those funds to my wallet?" ?
    If you have imported the correct private key to your wallet, the money shows up in your wallet, that is how you move funds to your wallet. Maybe restart your wallet and see if it shows up for you.

10. JCM

JCM New Member

I mean transfer or withdraw or ...whats the right word. Ive tried that too on restarting the wallet still no joy.

11. moli

moli Grizzled Member

You still do not see the coins show up on your wallet? The balance is still 0?

12. JCM

JCM New Member

13. moli

moli Grizzled Member

Ok, now try this:
    On your wallet console, type "listaddressgroupings" (without the quotes), press ENTER.
    It will give you a list of addresses on your wallet. Look at the list of the addresses to see if any of those addresses matches your address on the blockchain explorer?

• Like Like x 1
  14. splawik21

splawik21 Grizzled Member
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Dash Support Group Moderator

When you go to your wallet darkcoin-qt (?) after iportprivkey, do you see the address has been imported into the wallet?

15. JCM

JCM New Member

No I don't see the address on the block chain explorer. Hmmm looks like we getting somewhere.

16. moli

moli Grizzled Member

Is the address in your wallet? May I see your address so I can check for you if it's on the blockchain? You can send it to me via PM.

17. JCM

JCM New Member

Bro I don't even know how to do that. That's actually a good question. So how do I verify that it has been imported into the wallet? After I importprivkey "dashaddress" nothing happens I don't get any error message either.

18. splawik21

well after importing you should have a tilt time...about some seconds because it does a scan and if there werer the coins you should see the updated balance too.... if you had coins there and you think you`ve imported because no any info is provided and no balance has been cahnged that smething is wrong..

Can you provide the privkeys to UdjinM6 so he can check whats going wrong? If you trust enough? He is legit member so no worries....just my idea.... because it is strange that it does not get imported as it should have to....

19. JCM

JCM New Member

Well how do I verify first if I have successfully imported my privetkey. Matter of fact don't I need to import public first onto my wallet then private because my paper wallet public key address is not in my wallet yet.

20. moli

moli Grizzled Member

Then it just means the private key hasn't got imported into your wallet yet.
    And that's why you don't see your coins in your wallet.

21. splawik21

:) when you import privkey it means you will have your public address in your wallet.....

public is for all and noone can take your coins having your publickey...but if they have privkey it is the same as they have your coins....... do you get the difference now?

22. JCM

JCM New Member

Got it I get that concept. I have to pair my public to my private to get access. But what if the public address is not part of my listaddresgroup? The public address is in y paper wallet nt in my listaddressgroup.