• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Official Statement On Rebranding To Dash

I don't think there is anything wrong with the D logo, but aside from that, it's well recognized. Keeping something that visual the same would be immensely helpful, IMO, for this transition. I really don't think we should go there at all. In fact, the reason we tried so hard to find a name that starts with D is so we could keep the logo. Anyway, it's another can of worms if nothing else. lets leave that for another time in the future if need be :)
As we are rebranding it's actually important to fix it all at the same time. Not fixing it now and waiting is a can of worms imho. As much as I loved the old logo back when we changed to it: Now this currency has grown up and needs something more soothing to the eye. I put my favorite suggestion for a new logo as profile picture for all of you see :smile:

eduffield

How come this was decided as if the community is dysfunctional not capable of your mastermind thinking? I do not like that this was decided opposed to the community. Were you afraid that we would give the wrong answer? Again, I am for the name change, NOT the way it was handled.
I think you don't realize how it's been handled.

Evan has been against changing the name for a very long time. The community has been pushing for a name change ever since the last name change...

He was finally coming around to the fact that his creation has changed so drastically, that it's name no longer fit it.

Of the considerations being made, DASH was high on the list. Then, there was a goof in some comment posting that revealed it, people jumped to conclusions, hands were forced, it was messy. Accidents happen. Get over it. I'm the biggest loudmouth critic of every tiny detail there is... I'm not whining.

Coming from me, that's the biggest STFU there has ever been.

I just went through the thread and realized no one posted this, so I will for it's sheer awesomeness:
IYbPiNz.gif

This is an amazing logo, and would get my vote if one was held today. Simple, classic, and it incorporates all of the elements that the brand is about.
Wow, I'm really impressed with the quality work :eek:

As we are rebranding it's actually important to fix it all at the same time. Not fixing it now and waiting is a can of worms imho. As much as I loved the old logo back when we changed to it: Now this currency has grown up and needs something more soothing to the eye. I put my favorite suggestion for a new logo as profile picture for all of you see :smile:

will Xpost:

I don't know what is decided about logo style:
1. Should we inherit Darkcoin style now for the transition period (half a year?) - to show that we are same darkcoin and alive (not a new coin)?
2. Or should we make a new perfect logo - to not have problems with lots of out-of-date logos.

If second option - it's better to organize a competition for professional designers - to get all best ideas. This name is perfect for creativity...

As much as I hate the way the name was decided (and I'm not too keen on the name itself), I'm always enthusiastic about great artwork and that transition is very very sweet. The "Digital Cash" font needs to be changed though. Dash Logo itself is visually pleasing. Who made this?
I really like the logo as well! It fits right in with the logo of Visa and other similar brands; Simple, catches the eye, angled to make it appear moving and not too much going on so it looks good scaled down. I honestly think this logo is perfect! :smile:

Credits to Salkenex over at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg10749584#msg10749584 for the logo though!

eduffield UdjinM6
This is a bit off-topic from the discussions here, but I feel this is where people are reading at the moment:

The current privacy implementation is good for making it impossible to see who sent money, BUT you can still see how much is being sent to a specific address! This might be problematic and I had an idea which might solve it. My idea is very simple and involves stealth addresses which we would need to implement, but that is not so hard. Now imagine you send anonymized funds to a stealth address and that the denominations of your transaction are actually broken up to be sent to different addresses derived from the stealth address. The receiver could then simply mix the denominations in the different addresses a few times if they want as well. This would mean in addition to not seeing who sent coins to an address, you wouldn't actually be able to see what amount any receiver receives at all! This together with blinding and ip obfuscation makes me feel like an excited kid! :grin:

me too, digital cash clicks, everyone I spoke to loves it, the less technical they are the more they get it
I still think we need a slightly more complex version that includes the ideas of privacy/anonymity, the denomination concept, masternodes' role, etc... An infographic in motion. WE know what we mean by digital cash, but most of the dumb-masses thing BItCoin is already it. They're ignorant to what BitCoin is missing.

this is a fringe benefit in the minds of those who created the misinformation campaign about BitCoin being anon devil drug gun kill money. The objective was, and still is, to keep the dumb-masses thinking that BitCoin is anonymous, when, in fact, it makes them even more traceable than anything else ever... This is how the dark markets keep getting shut down, same old tactic; follow the money. Tho tor is imperfect, it's not the cause. The rendezvous system doesn't depend on exit node clusters. That whole argument doesn't mesh with reality and demonstrates that those promulgating it don't know what they're talking about. Making sloppy moves with your BTC because you falsely believe it is anonymous. That's what's doing it. That's what the misinformation campaign was built to cause.

Make micro deposits to dozens of accounts/addresses on dark market website. Watch the addresses they get withdrawn into. Oh look, it's a coinbase account with a name and address... This is not hard and it's exactly what the feds are doing. It doesn't give them 100% proof to prosecute, but it sure as hell narrows it down when dozens of those tiny deposits end up on one giant lump that can't possibly be anything other than the site admin... Or maybe a vendor. Either way, they're catching very large low-hanging fruit as a result of their misinformation campaign and the dumb-masses refusal to learn how things work and just take their misinformation at face value becasue they'retoo damn lazy and stupid to.... You know where I'm going with stupid people, I'll save you the trouble...

While DASH's intent is not to enable crime, it is crime where the flaw was revealed and made most obvious. Criminals, well, smart criminals, value their privacy more than anyone else. The lack of it in their realm is the most obvious first place where it would be exposed. It would probably live on as a quiet lie if not for such splashy examples of failure.

We need an animated infographic that tells us a bit more or people are going to thin this is a solution in search of a problem. That is, in fact, the root of almost every DASH detractor's argument. They've drunk the Kool Aide, and now they share it and even argue it's virtues. And army of stupid people falling for misinformation and spreading it. And all we need to combat it is a slightly longer infographic...

The up-side to "DASH" is that even if the copyright mess is a mess and goes bad, change one letter.

ZASH, VASH, BASH?, LASH, GASH, PASH, FASH(FAS(T)H?), etc... You can play with it so very easily and since it barely makes a point anyway, you can make the point no matter how you slice it... No matter how you change it, it sucks no worse than it already does...

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's been copying my friend's idea?? meeehhh.... very lame... Or logical innocent coincidence?

jcH2QmG.png

will Xpost:

I don't know what is decided about logo style:
1. Should we inherit Darkcoin style now for the transition period (half a year?) - to show that we are same darkcoin and alive (not a new coin)?
2. Or should we make a new perfect logo - to not have problems with lots of out-of-date logos.

If second option - it's better to organize a competition for professional designers - to get all best ideas. This name is perfect for creativity...
Changing the logo later will cause the old logo to follow Dash into the future. I even still see the oldest Darkcoin logo pop up sometimes..
upload_2015-3-13_21-20-50.jpeg

I think publicity and awareness about the name change is the way to go.

Changing the logo later will cause the old logo to follow Dash into the future. I even still see the oldest Darkcoin logo pop up sometimes..

From this point of view I agree with you...

I like logo on your avatar, it is beautiful and stylish, but... ambiguous - so needs text spelling-explanation next to it (otherwise can be considered as ASH).

This one:
88b80d2dcfa9.gif

is not so beautiful and stylish but easy to read for everybody without additional text next to it - I think it is important and useful thing... And also have a positive smile :) inside!

Why limit us with amateur designers - I think we should invite professionals for logo - to collect all possible ideas and creativity - so could choose really the best one.

Who's been copying my friend's idea?? meeehhh.... very lame... Or logical innocent coincidence?

jcH2QmG.png

This one is really nice too imo tough call with the (U) (I) lol that's just too good. Lets trademark the sideways power sign, genius.

Just catching up on the thread...
As much as I hate the way the name was decided (and I'm not too keen on the name itself), I'm always enthusiastic about great artwork and that transition is very very sweet. The "Digital Cash" font needs to be changed though. Dash Logo itself is visually pleasing. Who made this?
I want to tell you that I harbour no hard feelings toward you vis-a-vis our little debate yesterday, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I look forward to joining forces with you as we lead the DASH Twitter blitz. We are in agreement that this logo rocks...

Sorry, friend, I'm not feeling the arrow. It's great to have more options though. Keep trying!
Sexy ending. :grin:
I know, right?

This is the front runner right now, for sure.
View attachment 1136

Agreed. New brand, new logo. And it would be great to have a logo contest and see all the creative talent this community has. Then put it to a vote, and move on.

One of the main reasons that I joined this forum was to comment on the re-branding.

I have a few businesses which offer various products and services so branding has always been of huge importance to me. With Darkcoin re-branding to 'Dash' it's probably already been said but whoever came up with the name is an absolute genius.

These guys will be renaming the whole industry whether they realise it or not so this will be huge. No-one will refer to cryptocurrencies as cryptocurrencies but instead they will be calling all cryptos 'Dash'. It makes complete sense and one of the main reasons that Darkcoin or 'Dash' will most likely pass Bitcoin and become the biggest online currency in the world.

Just embrace it guys and watch Bitcoin die out while Dash takes control of the whole thing :D

I'm so excited about this and can't wait to see it succeed even more :D

Anyway that's my part said :D

One of the main reasons that I joined this forum was to comment on the re-branding.

I have a few businesses which offer various products and services so branding has always been of huge importance to me. With Darkcoin re-branding to 'Dash' it's probably already been said but whoever came up with the name is an absolute genius.

These guys will be renaming the whole industry whether they realise it or not so this will be huge. No-one will refer to cryptocurrencies as cryptocurrencies but instead they will be calling all cryptos 'Dash'. It makes complete sense and one of the main reasons that Darkcoin or 'Dash' will most likely pass Bitcoin and become the biggest online currency in the world.

Just embrace it guys and watch Bitcoin die out while Dash takes control of the whole thing :D

I'm so excited about this and can't wait to see it succeed even more :D

Anyway that's my part said :D
You must have been one of the people I've been talking to on Twitter about this...Welcome, and awesome post!

I've been to Darkcoin from December 2013 and I've heard a lot complaining about it's ominous/shady/evil name (personally never had an issue with it). So I think that for something populous as currency should have friendlier name and DASH fits perfectly. It highlights InstantX, rhymes with cash ... it's just catchy. But please don't change the D logo of Darkcoin. It is name with the "dark" part that makes negative impression among people, not the logo. On other hand D logo is already well recognized, people love it and it looks dashy enough to stay there.

Back