• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Darksend: Where are my coins ?

Added, like this:

As this is the first time the program is launched, you can choose where Darkcoin Core will store its data.
Warning: Dont use live operating system from usb, dvd or cd disk !
If your computer or program crash, you can loose all your Darkcoins !

Added, like this:

As this is the first time the program is launched, you can choose where Darkcoin Core will store its data.
Warning: Dont use live operating system from usb, dvd or cd disk !
If your computer or program crash, you can loose all your Darkcoins !

Corrected to:
Warning: If you run live operating system from usb, dvd or cd disk, set data directory to different safe location.

EDIT: Translators, if you want add that warning, it is found in line 254 in transifex.

Corrected to:
Warning: If you run live operating system from usb, dvd or cd disk, set data directory to different safe location.

EDIT: Translators, if you want add that warning, it is found in line 254 in transifex.
vertoe

its not about translations, change the source first.

i dont see why this is an darkcoin issue.

your wallet has a keypool an it gets refilled from time to time.
the only difference from bitcoin is the size https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Key_pool

there is even a paragraph on this issue on the bitcoin wiki.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet#Securing_the_Bitcoin-QT_or_bitcoind_wallet

The wallet contains a pool of queued keys. By default there are 100 keys in the key pool. The size of the pool is configurable using the "-keypool" command line argument. When you need an address for whatever reason (send, “new address”, generation, etc.), the key is not actually generated freshly, but taken from this pool. A brand new address is generated to fill the pool back to 100. So when a backup is first created, it has all of your old keys plus 100 unused keys. After sending a transaction, it has 99 unused keys. After a total of 100 new-key actions, you will start using keys that are not in your backup. Since the backup does not have the private keys necessary for authorizing spends of these coins, restoring from the old backup will cause you to lose Bitcoins.

using darkcoin or bitcoin in a live system is dangerous unless you know what you do.

i'm sorry for your loss but please dont blame us on not getting the proper documentation done. help contributing the docs and help others to avoid such situations: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/help-the-darksend-documentation.2392/

Pipy, so sorry to hear this happened to you, but I'm wondering if there's a way to recover this. Someone in the linux community might know how to?

I've been running Darksend on Testnet and Mainnet many many times! but so far I haven't run into this kind of trouble of losing the coins. I guess I'm lucky.

So, vertoe, UdjinM6, is there another OS or environment that we shouldn't use to run Darkcoin/Darksend?
I think vertoe would say "don't use windows", but that's exactly what I've been using! :tongue:

Pipy, so sorry to hear this happened to you, but I'm wondering if there's a way to recover this. Someone in the linux community might know how to?

I've been running Darksend on Testnet and Mainnet many many times! but so far I haven't run into this kind of trouble of losing the coins. I guess I'm lucky.

So, vertoe, UdjinM6, is there another OS or environment that we shouldn't use to run Darkcoin/Darksend?
I think vertoe would say "don't use windows", but that's exactly what I've been using! :tongue:
How keypool works: Darkcoin wallet generates 1000 keys on initialization (originally it's 100 for Bitcoin btw) and each time you use one of these addresses it generates another one. Sp at any given time you have 1000 addresses that are already known to you but yet unused. 1000 addresses should be enough if you are on "normal" environment because wallet flushed to disk very often.
This means you can run wallet in any environment. Live is just dangerous with default settings because live was never meant as default. If you want to use it in live I would suggest to generate new wallet (with "-wallet=..." or by moving original wallet somewhere) with larger keypool, smth like 10000 maybe: "-keepool=10000". This should give you 10000 key gap between backups.

How keypool works: Darkcoin wallet generates 1000 keys on initialization (originally it's 100 for Bitcoin btw) and each time you use one of these addresses it generates another one. Sp at any given time you have 1000 addresses that are already known to you but yet unused. 1000 addresses should be enough if you are on "normal" environment because wallet flushed to disk very often.
This means you can run wallet in any environment. Live is just dangerous with default settings because live was never meant as default. If you want to use it in live I would suggest to generate new wallet (with "-wallet=..." or by moving original wallet somewhere) with larger keypool, smth like 10000 maybe: "-keepool=10000". This should give you 10000 key gap between backups.
How do you create a larger key pool? I don't understand what you mean: "This should give you 10000 key gap between backups".. And this can be used safely on a live USB? Thanks for educating us on this matter! :)

How do you create a larger key pool? I don't understand what you mean: "This should give you 10000 key gap between backups".. And this can be used safely on a live USB? Thanks for educating us on this matter! :)
You can create larger keepool on wallet creation by adding -keepool. If you already have wallet.dat you can move it somewhere else or use -wallet cmd-line option to create another one. So it would be smth like this:

darkcoind-qt -wallet=walletwithlargekeypool.dat - keypool=10000

This will generate new wallet "walletwithlargekeypool.dat" in your data folder. And this wallet will always have 10000 pre-generated keys. Keys are used one by one but every time you use one address new address added at the end of a list. Suppose you just created a wallet like this and created backup copying it somewhere. In this particular example you can pretty safely use 10000 internal addresses to mix coins.

Mixing 100 DRK for 2 rounds can take ~150-170 addresses, for example, which is fine with default settings of 1000 keys. So even after that mixing you can open your backup wallet and still will be able to see/move all your coins.

Is my understanding right, when Pipy mixed 620 DASH 2 rounds he used more than 1000 new addresses? Thats a big problem in my eyes. I mean you not only can loose your current used wallet on a live system. HDDs, SSDs, USB Sticks, whatever... can crash everytime, Shouldn't the keypool cover at least one mixing session? At least a warning before start mixing if its the case: "This Darksend operation exceeds your currend keypool size. In case of Hardware failure you will loose all your coins! Please create a wallet with keypool > x and try again".

Last edited by a moderator:
You can create larger keepool on wallet creation by adding -keepool. If you already have wallet.dat you can move it somewhere else or use -wallet cmd-line option to create another one. So it would be smth like this:

darkcoind-qt -wallet=walletwithlargekeypool.dat - keypool=10000

This will generate new wallet "walletwithlargekeypool.dat" in your data folder. And this wallet will always have 10000 pre-generated keys. Keys are used one by one but every time you use one address new address added at the end of a list. Suppose you just created a wallet like this and created backup copying it somewhere. In this particular example you can pretty safely use 10000 internal addresses to mix coins.
Just to try out this instruction for fun, I created a larger keypool wallet with "keypoolsize" : 10001 !!! It took about 30 min but here it is:

upload_2015-5-10_19-47-36.png

And the size difference between the two wallets:

upload_2015-5-10_19-52-8.png

The smaller wallet has two transactions in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back