• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How to make the darkcoin wallet for linux

v0.10.16.16-17-gdf89339-beta The people in IRC have been extremely helpful trying everything but we cant seem to get it to work. Im still on 179654

Edit: Finally all good

Last edited by a moderator:
If a much older wallet version has trouble to sync, I guess the bootstrap can help it sync?
I guess so... bootstrap.dat is simply a blockchain in one file and no indexing so wallet should just verify blocks from it instead of downloading one by one and calculate needed indexes. (This should work if block format hasn't changed since that old version. If block format has changed then old wallet might refuse to accept these blocks.)

I guess so... bootstrap.dat is simply a blockchain in one file and no indexing so wallet should just verify blocks from it instead of downloading one by one and calculate needed indexes. (This should work if block format hasn't changed since that old version. If block format has changed then old wallet might refuse to accept these blocks.)
When you say the "block format", do you mean the protocol version? I'm curious to learn if someone hasn't updated their wallet and still has some old version like v.9.x.x.. With no privkey to dump, they have to load up this old wallet, and the bootstrap can help then that is great.

When you say the "block format", do you mean the protocol version? I'm curious to learn if someone hasn't updated their wallet and still has some old version like v.9.x.x.. With no privkey to dump, they have to load up this old wallet, and the bootstrap can help then that is great.
Well, protocol number changes might not be related to blocks but to messaging system for example (introducing new messages or changing formats of old one). Strictly saying protocol versions are only digits helping to do first and very simple check is another peer complying some conditions or not. And it can be faked so it's not safe at all to rely on it. What really matters is how blocks are verified to be accepted. Smth like this
https://github.com/darkcoin/darkcoin/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L2897
https://github.com/darkcoin/darkcoin/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L2760
If an old wallet isn't aware of a whole procedure it will not be able to build the same chain (will reject blocks from bootstrap.dat).

This is a guide aimed to show you how to make a darkcoin wallet. (for linux) Very easy stuff indeed. The system I am going to use is Xubuntu 13.1. It is a Debian/Ubuntu based system. This is a clean install.

Step 1.) Open terminal type in
Code:
cd Downloads
Then type in
Code:
sudo apt-get install git
It should prompt you with "Do you want to continue [Y/n]?" type yes then enter. Here's what we've done so far.

View attachment 40

Step 2.) Now we will download the wallet source. (Only download the source from this address!)
Code:
git clone git://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin
After that is finished, there should be a directory titled "darkcoin." Finally we will open the directory with all the documentation inside.
Code:
cd darkcoin
ls
thunar doc

View attachment 41

Step 3.) Here is where it can get tricky. Now we need to install all the dependencies before compiling the wallet. You can find a list of everything you need in the doc folder titled readme-qt.rst Open readme-qt.rst Scroll down to where it says "for Ubuntu >= 12.04 (please read the 'Berkely DB versoin warning' below):" These are the dependencies needed to compile the wallet. To make it easier for you, just copy and paste the code into your terminal below.
Code:
sudo apt-get install qt4-qmake libqt4-dev build-essential libboost-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-thread-dev libssl-dev libdb++-dev libminiupnpc-dev
You should get the same prompt as before with roughly 295 MB of additional disk space will be used message. Type in yes & enter.

View attachment 42

Step 4.) Depending on your internet connection the above is going to take some time. (Just wait for this step) Now your ready to start compiling the wallet. Once again in terminal type in
Code:
qmake
Your going to receive a message saying "Removed plural forms as the target language has less forms. If this sounds wrong, possibly the target language is not recognized." Ignore it. Type in
Code:
sudo make
This is going to take some time, and I mean 15-30 minutes time so sit back and relax. Here is a picture of the progress.

View attachment 43

Step 5.) Assuming all goes well type in
Code:
ls
and you should see a program there named darkcoin-qt. To launch it type in
Code:
./darkcoin-qt
You will see a splash screen and the wallet initialize. Give it some time to sync with the network. After that finishes, encrypt your wallet with a passphrase. Click Settings >> Encrypt Wallet Make it a good one using 15 characters or more like so 87&tghBB%^521JN. Don't leave the passphrase on the computer.

View attachment 44

View attachment 45
Step 6.) Restart the wallet. In terminal press the up key and then enter. You should now be ready to go with a green check mark and lock symbol in the bottom right hand corner. Here is the final picture.

View attachment 46

That's it! Questions/Concerns/Thanks leave below.

Can you please start working on "rebranding" the guide ?!
that would be great and super appreciated
Tx

Back