• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Some Master Nodes, outside US and EU

aleix

Foundation Member
I was thinking about the goverments (of the US and Europe mainly) and I think in the near future (with some “terrorist” excuse) they will try to close the DarkSend masternodes system. We are now out of the focus of the media, but if Evan succeed (and I have no doubt about that) we will be exposed to all kind criticism.

The anonimity is a real threat to the goverments and powerful people. They will be very nervous in the next few months/years (if they are nervous with dark wallet, and they just need to hack one server....)

I think we must anticipate this possibility.

Our weakness link in the chain are the Masternodes. If we use external servers, we must spread it all over the world. It's no sense we all use the "Amazon" servers, because Amazon is a US company the US goverment can easily close that.

Maybe sounds paranoid, but I think our masternodes must be placed in servers of companies located all around the world, in Russia, Southamerica, african or asian countruies (not in china, of course), etc... Not only in US and EU. This will make our Masternodes net more powerful.

My 2 duffs.

(originally posted in bitcointalk)

I was also thinking about geographical distribution of masternodes but in relation to performance... Is it relevant to be near the originators of the transaction to get the reward or they will be evenly distributed? if it is relevant, then most of us will probably choose to have it near the big markets and transactions from other areas can be slowed down.

As for the risk of masternodes being shut down in Amazon, I think you are absolutely right. The problem is that Amazon is so much better and cheaper than most competitors that it is not easy (or even possible) to find other reliable providers outside of the US or Europe.

Another thing that should probably be considered is the legal risk for the masternode owner. It is feasible that in a scenario of governments wanting to shut down masternodes they would go after the owners. They would be easy to find if masternodes were hosted at Amazon or any other similar option. I think that a simple letter from a security agency saying that the owner could be considered an accomplice of terrorist money laundering would scare the shit out of most of masternode owners. I'm not saying that such an accusation would prosper, only that most owners would simply shut it down to avoid problems and legal costs. I think I read in the past some news about a Tor relay owner that was having some legal problems because of the traffic masked through his relay.

I was also thinking about geographical distribution of masternodes but in relation to performance... Is it relevant to be near the originators of the transaction to get the reward or they will be evenly distributed?
Its evenly distributed by the voting system (at least it should even out).

But I agree on the other points that (if you can) you dont set up 20 masternodes at amazon web services but on multiple different providers with different backgrounds and geolocations to avoid the darksend network being taken down by a single company or government.

If I could set up 20 masternodes, I would have a mental orgasm. I'm guessing 2 will make me pretty aroused though...

If people spent as much time ignoring the government as they do worrying about it, it wouldn't be a threat. And in this case, it isn't.

There other reasons though geographic diversity is a good thing, the front page of lowendbox.com has some great VPS deals all over the world, Straya, UK, Canada, Brazil etc. Exoticvps.com is a good resources too, plenty in Hong Kong, Russia, and elsewhere.

www.itccs.org

I am going to start my own private ubuntu based cloud.

I am interested in helping host, and have a crew of experienced techs I pay honest wages to already.

[email protected]

I got a lot of paper work for any government in any country that thinks a queen who was ov false coronation, can give them power to rule in anyway.

Attachments

• KevDocs-006-743x1024.jpg
    KevDocs-006-743x1024.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 86
  • KevDocs-007-743x1024.jpg
    KevDocs-007-743x1024.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 92
  • KevDocs-010-743x1024.jpg
    KevDocs-010-743x1024.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 90
  • KevDocs-012-743x1024.jpg
    KevDocs-012-743x1024.jpg