• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

v0.16 Testing

Pasta

Dash Core Group
Release candidate v0.16.0.0-rc1 is ready for testnet!

Github release candidate: https://github.com/dashpay/dash/releases/tag/v0.16.0.0-rc2
Release notes are not ready yet and will be prepared in the next few days. Post will be updated.
Gitian sigs can be found here: https://github.com/dashpay/gitian.sigs

Before testing:
Make sure you made a backup of your mainnet datadir somewhere or at least a backup of wallet.dat/dash.conf;
Or use the -datadir and -conf parameters to use completely different directories.

Please see https://blog.dash.org/product-brief-dash-core-release-v0-16-0-now-on-testnet-55c7ac5ff768 for a briefing on what's in the update.

We expect this upgrade to be quite seamless as there are no on-chain consensus related changes involved. Effort for integration partners should be minimal, as only a few RPC parameters and return codes changed. See https://blog.dash.org/updated-product-brief-dash-core-release-v0-16-0-d3debdb6242e

The usual testing should be performed to make sure everything works as expected:
- Check if normal transactions are still working, perform some automated load testing if you want. All transactions should get InstantSend locked
- Check if ChainLocks are happening on new blocks
- Check if creating and voting on proposals work. Also check if winning proposals get paid and other don't.
- Test if PrivateSend is working. Make sure to use the recently added ability to mix in many sessions in parallel (note that this feature requires you to also enable multi session support which is off by default).
- Run a masternode or two, make sure it is paid. Instructions can be found here: https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/masternodes/setup.html

What else you can do:
- Report serious issues (crashes/hangs/GUI glitches) : https://github.com/dashpay/dash/issues/new

Testnet tools (explorers, faucets, pools): https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/testnet-tools-resources.1768/
For now, only the faucet at http://faucet.test.dash.crowdnode.io/ is known to be well funded. It should have enough for everyone.

MNOs:
Wiki: https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/developers/testnet.html#masternodes
Sentinel : https://github.com/dashpay/sentinel/tree/develop

NOTE: Make sure you pulled Sentinel from `develop` branch and changed network to `testnet` in `sentinel.conf`. If you already have a mainnet masternode on the same server, do NOT run testnet masternode in the same datadir as your mainnet masternode (i.e. `.dashcore`). Create new folder specifically for testing (e.g. `.dashcore_test`) and make sure you use `-datadir=<yourtestnetdatadirhere>` cmd-line parameter for dashd and dash-cli. You'll also need a separate crontab line for testnet Sentinel. If you are not 100% sure what you are doing, I'd recommend setting up a new machine/instance for testing purposes only instead of reusing your mainnet server.

Last edited:
Change to dash.conf in this release, if you define any of these parameters for testnet, you will have to put them in a section at the end of your file with [test] otherwise your masternode will not start.
Code:
  "-addnode", "-connect",
      "-port", "-bind",
      "-rpcport", "-rpcbind",
      "-wallet",

Example
Code:
[test]
rpcport=4567

Privatesend mixing multisession run on 1.36 tdash. The following denoms were created:
38 of .001
22 of .01
11 of .1
Looks fine.
Received another ~1.7 tdash. While mixing was enabled, it remained idle. All attempts to get it to begin mixing again were fruitless. Stopped and started mixing again, even closed and reopened the wallet, but it remained idle. I then assumed since I already had enough small denominations it did not need to continue. It seems it would make sense for it to attempt to make more of the largest available denoms, in this case a 1 and 6-7 .1s.

I then sent the entire privatesend balance to myself, clearing out all mixed coins. At that point there were two inputs: 1.7 and 1.35. It would not mix. Privatesend remained idle. Again stopping/starting/closing/opening/starting, still idle.

Then I sent all remaining funds to myself, now one input of ~3 tdash. Mixing still will not start, privatesend is idle. Not sure what to do here. There are over 1065 keys left, and rounds are set to 2, with a target PS balance of 1000 dash. Nothing is happening.

Privatesend mixing multisession run on 1.36 tdash. The following denoms were created:
38 of .001
22 of .01
11 of .1
Looks fine.
Received another ~1.7 tdash. While mixing was enabled, it remained idle. All attempts to get it to begin mixing again were fruitless. Stopped and started mixing again, even closed and reopened the wallet, but it remained idle. I then assumed since I already had enough small denominations it did not need to continue. It seems it would make sense for it to attempt to make more of the largest available denoms, in this case a 1 and 6-7 .1s.

I then sent the entire privatesend balance to myself, clearing out all mixed coins. At that point there were two inputs: 1.7 and 1.35. It would not mix. Privatesend remained idle. Again stopping/starting/closing/opening/starting, still idle.

Then I sent all remaining funds to myself, now one input of ~3 tdash. Mixing still will not start, privatesend is idle. Not sure what to do here. There are over 1065 keys left, and rounds are set to 2, with a target PS balance of 1000 dash. Nothing is happening.

Due to the first post (still) containing an incorrect link to v0.15 can you please confirm you are mixing on v0.16 ?

Is this normal ?

zdjSyOM.jpg

Is it a testnet specific warning ? I also come across this warning while testing v0.15 on testnet, so it is not specific to v0.16

I like how Dash is shifting away in this v0.16 release from using 6 confirmations before a transaction is visually (gui-wise) fully processed, to using just 1 confirmation.
Having the unconfirmed (0 conformations) transactions shown with an hourglass is a nice touch too.

BP6c4Lw.jpg

Also an interesting distinction now between Send and PrivateSend with the addition of the PrivateSend tab.
ChainLocks seems to be working well in v0.16 rc 1, i will do some mixing to see if i come across the problem that has been described by forro.

Last edited:
38 of .001
22 of .01
11 of .1
Looks fine.

~I haven't experienced this before, can you turn on `debug privatesend`? you can do this by just opening console in dash-qt and typing `debug privatesend`~

Nevermind, I think I've reproduced it. Will investigate tomorrow

Last edited:
Do payments to yourself that have been automatically created during PrivateSend mixing, need to show up in 'Recent transactions' ? Or should we hide those there ?

sDqrxqG.jpg

Last edited:
Do payments to yourself that have been automatically created during PrivateSend mixing, need to show up in 'Recent transactions' ? Or should we hide those there ?

sDqrxqG.jpg
Good question, no, mixing related transactions should not appear under recent txes :)

~I haven't experienced this before, can you turn on `debug privatesend`? you can do this by just opening console in dash-qt and typing `debug privatesend`~

Nevermind, I think I've reproduced it. Will investigate tomorrow

Yeah, i have noticed it too. After having mixed to 100% and then arranged for extra faucet payment the mixing will indeed not commence any further.
I also noticed the amount to mix can not be adjusted higher, it got stuck on the original amount to mix (even after closing and restarting wallet).

2BCA9xP.jpg

Amount to mix / Target PrivateSend balance has a problem forcing a higher amount to mix through in the wallet.

Last edited:
I PrivateSend my tDash that i did manage to mix 4 rounds (31.25 tDASH) to a new address in a new wallet.dat and gave this new wallet the command to mix 16 rounds.
It created a bunch of PrivateSend Make Collateral Inputs (5x) and is now idling away.

4cTouma.jpg

O8K4r84.jpg

U0EY6n7.jpg

I am not sure if this is due to nobody mixing on Testnet or due to our current PrivateSend bug.
Last lines in debug.log :

2020-06-18 08:41:12 keypool return 144
2020-06-18 08:41:12 keypool return 145
2020-06-18 08:41:12 keypool return 146
2020-06-18 08:41:12 keypool return 147
2020-06-18 08:41:12 CKeyHolderStorage::ReturnAll -- 133 keys returned
2020-06-18 08:41:14 CGovernanceManager::UpdateCachesAndClean -- Governance Objects: 0 (Proposals: 0, Triggers: 0, Other: 0; Erased: 0), Votes: 0

Last edited:
Hi Qwizzie, I am constantly mixing on testnet. Send your dash to the crowdnode faucet and delete every file in the testnet3 folder, leave the directories, start the wallet and load it from crowdnode and mix. you are facing the bug now. i get it too sometimes.

you should be able to mix the dash completely in a few hours. see all the mixing going on right now? https://testnet-insight.dashevo.org/insight/

The Dash faucets are either dry or returning very low tDASH (1 tDASH per hour)
Can someone please send me 5x 32 tDASH, so i can do some multi-wallet mixing :

Please send to :

TestDash1 : yiS7aejgikA6yejSAgGYU7hcCyUpU9NKjM
TestDash2 : yamCEYdFboNBAGLWByRbBdLgUbTok4FYgC
TestDash3 : ygpKs774eFB3PndNL5ZV2bwE98PqeUXMZK
TestDash4 : yWAkYyCyGdG3Fec1YZqgeD5KtSNJFb242N
TestDash5 : yPjiyMV1YX2urcWeLxXfRRoSQUbJ94wDMV

Thanks

Edit : Thank you for the tDash, i have got them mixing now.

Last edited:
So i PrivateSend 31.3 tDash to a tDash address of mine and came across this (by now infamous) red inputs warning :

bJomqLc.jpg

I was hoping we changed this red PrivateSend inputs warning in this 0.16.0.0 version, as it is confusing for users trying to PrivateSend something.
Should they proceed ? Should they cancel ? How does it affect their privacy, if they continue ? In the end i just clicked on yes to get this PrivateSend
transaction out, but it leaves me with the question on what we want users to do with this red inputs alert exactly.
Also i am wondering why this red inputs alert is not described in our official Dash Docs or in our PrivateSend information within the wallet ? (under 'Help')

Anyways, what action do we want users to take, when they come across this alert ?

Last edited:
I PrivateSend my tDash that i did manage to mix 4 rounds (31.25 tDASH) to a new address in a new wallet.dat and gave this new wallet the command to mix 16 rounds.
It created a bunch of PrivateSend Make Collateral Inputs (5x) and is now idling away.

4cTouma.jpg

O8K4r84.jpg

U0EY6n7.jpg

I am not sure if this is due to nobody mixing on Testnet or due to our current PrivateSend bug.
Last lines in debug.log :

2020-06-18 08:41:12 keypool return 144
2020-06-18 08:41:12 keypool return 145
2020-06-18 08:41:12 keypool return 146
2020-06-18 08:41:12 keypool return 147
2020-06-18 08:41:12 CKeyHolderStorage::ReturnAll -- 133 keys returned
2020-06-18 08:41:14 CGovernanceManager::UpdateCachesAndClean -- Governance Objects: 0 (Proposals: 0, Triggers: 0, Other: 0; Erased: 0), Votes: 0

That's a bug we're investigating. Should be fixed in rc2 / before release

I started up the RC1 wallet to see if it still refused to mix. To my surprise, it is working. The single input was redenominated into many inputs, and is attempting to mix. It can't seem to find any partners however, as it has been able to mix only one input one round in about 90 minutes.

For RC2, I started the wallet with --testnet --litemode --txindex=0 --prune=945. It ended up with 1.4gb of blockchain, rather than 1.9. Was that the correct command?

EDIT:
I didn't give good data. That 1.4 gb was the size of the entire /home folder, although it was a fresh vm. To be more accurate, the size of .dashcore/testnet3/blocks/ is 971mb, so, close enough.

Taking a look at the dash docs for pruning, should the command be run with 945 or 946?

https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/wallets/dashcore/cmd-rpc.html:
"Reduce storage requirements by enabling pruning (deleting) of old blocks. This allows the pruneblockchain RPC to be called to delete specific blocks, and enables automatic pruning of old blocks if a target size in MiB is provided. This mode is incompatible with -txindex and -rescan. Warning: Reverting this setting requires re-downloading the entire blockchain. (default: 0 = disable pruning blocks, 1 = allow manual pruning via RPC, >945 = automatically prune block files to stay under the specified target size in MiB)

Curious why the it would be as high as 946 mb to enable automatic pruning, how did they come to that number?

Last edited:
Back