• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Overwrote wallet - anything I can do?

lostmybrain

Was transferring money while updating my Darknode and I overwrote a new wallet I created with 1020 DRK. I'm crushed. Is there anything I can do? I have the public DRK address and the overwritten file. The file was created minutes before so there is no backup of the wallet with the DRK now. 99% sure I'm SOL but I'd rather ask and know for sure then wonder.

Man, if there is any way you all think of anything I would be eternally grateful. Thank you for thinking on it - if I can provide anything please let me know.

Was transferring money while updating my Darknode and I overwrote a new wallet I created with 1020 DRK. I'm crushed. Is there anything I can do? I have the public DRK address and the overwritten file. The file was created minutes before so there is no backup of the wallet with the DRK now. 99% sure I'm SOL but I'd rather ask and know for sure then wonder.
Please define "overwrote a new wallet/overwritten the file" - what did you do exactly?

Just FYI - I ran Recuva, R-Studio and testdisk 7.0 trying to see if there was a previous version of the file anywhere with no luck.

Forgive me as my brain is still swimming from anger at myself here, trying to recall exactly how i did this. First, I opened my local version of my darkcoin masternode on my local PC to check it, then moved that old RC4 wallet to a new folder. I then started a new darkcoin release on my local PC, creating a RC5 wallet. Copied that DRK address down. Moved NEW wallet to desktop and Loaded my OLD wallet in so I could send all the DRK to the NEW address - sent 1020 DRK there. After sending from the OLD wallet, I grabbed it and dragged to my desktop, overwriting the new one before I realized which version was there.

Was just moving too quick trying to do too many things at once. Edited this as once I read it I remembered the process better.

I am on a solid state drive as well - after doing a lot of reading I don't have high hopes.

Thank you again flare - it's time for me to rest but I'll check this first thing in the AM to see if there's anything else I can try.

Forgive me as my brain is still swimming from anger at myself here, trying to recall exactly how i did this. First, I opened my local version of my darkcoin masternode on my local PC to check it, then moved that old RC4 wallet to a new folder. I then started a new darkcoin release on my local PC, creating a RC5 wallet. Copied that DRK address down. Moved NEW wallet to desktop and Loaded my OLD wallet in so I could send all the DRK to the NEW address - sent 1020 DRK there. After sending from the OLD wallet, I grabbed it and dragged to my desktop, overwriting the new one before I realized which version was there.

Was just moving too quick trying to do too many things at once. Edited this as once I read it I remembered the process better.
Still trying to get hold of what you call "move the wallet".

I guess you are an experienced MN operator and know that wallet binaries and wallet data are usually stored in separate folders - so when you are writing about "wallet" are you refering to the binary (darkcoin-qt), the data (folder .darkcoin) or both? In the last case if you moved both around you might be right with wallet.dat being overwritten.

If you are on mac and haven't done anything since overwriting you can undo... apple - Z

Seems a stupid thing to say and stating the obvious, but worth mentioning.

Hey flare. I was moving the cold DRK wallet on my local machine, not on the server I had the masternode set up on. I had them on seperate machines.

There's still hope. I would recommend to stop using the machine that the local wallet was on. Boot from a live cd/usb and run a couple wallet recovery tools on it.

In case anyone else ever runs into this problem - I ran pywallet on my drive to look for any deleted private keys. That gave me a recovered wallet, which I then placed in my darkcoin app data folder. I ran darkcoin-qt using the -salvagewallet option, and it recovered my coins!

This reminds me when I lost 200 LTC when it was at $4. Formatted the hdd. Then I thought - fuck it, I lost $800.
When the big pump happened and they were at $40 I was so pissed off and I started to search again for any backups. And I started to import every wallet.dat I had from ubuntuone cloud and found them! Immediately sold half of them. I was so happy I even didn't go to work that day when it happened hah.

Hey, congratulations. I had a panic moment a few weeks ago and even though I knew I had a backup I didn't relax until I could see my DRK back in QT.

Hey, congratulations. I had a panic moment a few weeks ago and even though I knew I had a backup I didn't relax until I could see my DRK back in QT.
I had it a couple months back when DRK was really high... It was a masternode wallet and I had to go for my second backup because the first one was mislabeled and was another wallet.

I love when this threads end well, really happy for you lostmybrain!

lostmybrain happy for you mate, I`m doing the same right now ;) overwrote the wallet.dat with other wallet.dat, meantime I was looking through all the backups, recoverd the system etc I do not have much believe I can get mine. It is less than your 1020....anyway trying my best... thnx for the program....

edit: tried this program but all I get are bitcoin addresses and privkeys.... what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
lostmybrain happy for you mate, I`m doing the same right now ;) overwrote the wallet.dat with other wallet.dat, meantime I was looking through all the backups, recoverd the system etc I do not have much believe I can get mine. It is less than your 1020....anyway trying my best... thnx for the program....

edit: tried this program but all I get are bitcoin addresses and privkeys.... what am I doing wrong?
Its a year old thread, splawik! Have you tried looking for specific deposit addresses in old wallet.dat's and using dumpprivkey and then importing the privkey into your current hot wallet?

They do not exist in older version, the address` were created 1-3 days ago and the last wwallet backup I had was 2 weeks old.
Udjin said that if I haven`t change the password or got more than 1000 addresses inside this wallet they should have been there - they are not.

I have uset pywallet.py scrypt to get the privkeys from the wallet - specified the datadir and dumpwallet but there are different wallet versions as the script uses wallet version 60000, instead dash wallet was of 61000 version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back