• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Development Update - August 19, 2014

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the testnet? I can't seem to get synched there, but my client does fine when connecting to the mainnet.

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the testnet? I can't seem to get synched there, but my client does fine when connecting to the mainnet.
Have you put testnet=1 in your darkcoin.conf?

What I do:
Rename my .darkcoin directory .darkcoin-mainnet
Create a new .darkcoin directory, create a file inside it called testnet.conf, and add testnet=1 to that file, nothing else (unless you're running a MN)
Fire up the client, it will populate the new .darkcoin dir with what it needs and sync up. Note that your testnet wallet.dat will reside inside a new testnet3 folder the client creates.

edit: if that doesn't work it may be a port issue, testnet runs on port 19999, you'll need that open on your router and unfirewalled on your machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wallet has been syncing to testnet since last night, no problem. But it took all night for 1 round of anonymizing so the anonymized balance was at 0. (The round was set at 2, amount to keep anonymized: 1000, and I had 1000 tdrk in the wallet.) Then the wallet was locked for a while, then unlocked. I could not send the coins using any funds except "No Preference", and it said "Darksent" when I sent the coins. I'm testing v.32 windows.

In the case I just had if that was what it is, I wouldn't have been able to send the drk at all because I could not use either "Anonymous" or "Non-Anonymous" funds. The money was stuck! "No Preference" should go. It's either Anon. or Non-Anon., and if the rounds cannot be completed, the funds should go back to Non-Anon and not get stuck in limbo.

Maybe there should be Cancel option also, if user cant wait anon process to make complete.

Strange... A few minutes ago I downloaded another 1000 tdrk and the amount got anonymized in a fast lightning bolt of drk light year... lol... I guess someone is doing testing on testnet also? Got 999 drk anonymized with 2 rounds in just a few minutes. I hope this will be the trend on main net. :) I'll be testing more rounds

The dnsseed for testnet is down, resolving it currently

EDIT: dnsseed available again, your client should be able to sync again.

dnsseed for main net has also issues, I just had something like "got 0 peers from dns seed" in debug log on a fresh install and it never was able to connect to the network util I finally added a working IP manually.

Could you check that too?

dnsseed for main net has also issues, I just had something like "got 0 peers from dns seed" in debug log on a fresh install and it never was able to connect to the network util I finally added a working IP manually.

Could you check that too?
Yep, one of the three mainnet dnsseeders has died - resolved.

Development Update: August 29th.

Quote from: eduffield on Today at 02:43:05 PM: "I'm thinking about opening the source at release of RC5. I've actually been having various close friends of mine look at the source and no one sees anything seriously wrong with it besides some organizational issues (which I'm working on now). I believe we're ready to go."

This was posted today at bitcointalk and it is exciting since we have about 1-4 weeks till RC5 and open source :rolleyes:

And then there was this document (The Darkcoin Foundation, INC.) , in case you were not as patient as me to go through the bitcointalk thread and find Evan's post below. I think this document is very important and strengthens the trust on Darkcoin technology and creates transparency. Investors know that they are not dealing with people who are hiding behind nicknames but real brave people who are revolutionizing the industry.

Quote from: eduffield on Today at 02:53:54: https://docs.google.com/document/d/143Uwls4ZZrN7pS7bWfjk03i90TWskjy8scNB2U0HOoo/edit

Last edited by a moderator:
1 week? where does that come from? RC5 is ip obfuscation right? That will surely take a bit longer than that..

well, I got that from August 19th update which said: "The next 3-6 weeks will be spent creating the RC5 client which will have a few minor updates including some known issues resolved along with a basic gui that shows the current status of Darksend."

Based on that we have 1.5 - 4.5 weeks left, to be more precise :wink: And devs will correct me if I am wrong but I don't think ip obfuscation is part of the RC5.

Back