• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

(Pre-Proposal) DASHPayCard - DASH Branded Debit Card + Fiat/Dash Integration

She said she would rather to wait until funded.
@CharlieShrem Actually I think Amanda is right. With respect it would be unfair to other proposals to give you special red carpet treatment. As the official Dash channel is not really positioned for this. When funded yes, before not so much. However I still think it would be wise to do a video and share it on your social media. Time goes fast on proposal votes. If community see your passion for project I can not see why they would vote no. Honestly if it was me I would make an announcement on twitter and set up a live broadcast or google hangout and do a 5 min summary of proposal and take some questions afterwards. Just my 2 cents.

@CharlieShrem Actually I think Amanda is right. With respect it would be unfair to other proposals to give you special red carpet treatment. As the official Dash channel is not really positioned for this. When funded yes, before not so much. However I still think it would be wise to do a video and share it on your social media. Time goes fast on proposal votes. If community see your passion for project I can not see why they would vote no. Honestly if it was me I would make an announcement on twitter and set up a live broadcast or google hangout and do a 5 min summary of proposal and take some questions afterwards. Just my 2 cents.

Happy to do a Q&A Google Hangout. I still have things to learn about DASH. Maybe someone on the Dash Team wants to do a coffee table style chat with me?

I really like the branding angle here, I recently used my BitPay visa cad at a store and the cashier ask me if I was a bitcoin farmer, I knew what he meant but I was taken back because the card shows the word BitPay on it, not Bitcoin.

@CharlieShrem if you are looking for alternative designs drop me a line, info in your inbox.

Sounds like solid advice. I'd also be interested in hearing an AMA from Charlie.

Not sure if anyone else mention it here or on the central one, but why try to get DASH people back into FIAT? Shouldnt it be better channeled to make it easier for vendors to take DASH directly?

Not sure if anyone else mention it here or on the central one, but why try to get DASH people back into FIAT? Shouldnt it be better channeled to make it easier for vendors to take DASH directly?

Because of the CC infrastructure already there.

I agree that ultimately i want to see merchants accept dash directly but i think that this has short term value because of the CC infrastructure already in place, as has already been commented above. Just how short term, i do not know.

Because of the CC infrastructure already there.
web sites that accept bitcoin dont always take dash, start with both small vendors on a pos system. And getting online vendors to accept dash that perform a service where timing matters. These cards cover the gap until one day the ecosystem is so robust converting back to fiat will be the hard part.

Profit Sharing

I'm not 100% sure how this will work. Basically, there is a revenue share that will accumulate from fees to use the card. After talking to the DASH biz dev team, we want to pass the profit back onto the masternodes, miners and community. Would love your feedback on how to do this!

OR

We could just use the funds from the profit share to make the fees lower. I need to ask them about this.
Seems like this idea is the most favored. I will negotiate the rev share and then use that to make the card price and fees as cheap as possible.
I wanted to emphasize that this isn't so much of a choice, as an inevitable conclusion.

How do you Profit Share? You can't pump duffs back into the blockchain once they're removed. Same problem as the budget system's proportionality failure results in free money regardless and burn if it not used.

It would also make an accounting headache.

Better to leave it fiat-side and reduce the fees.

This simultaneously creates a carrot for the simple-minded: "DASH's fees are lower, lets use that instead."

If it's stupid, but works, it isn't stupid.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How opposed would you be to allowing this service to evolve?

I ask because cards are an awkward and counterproductive step towards what should be; direct use of crypto.

But, once that middle man starts getting paid, that middle man doesn't want to quit. Even if that middle man is being simultaneously handed an opportunity for something better. Once there is money hose, change is unwelcome... Ask a CPU miner... Not to mention the double-fee liability and fraudulent misrepresentation of the conversions as capital gains.

If you have a DASH --> fiat path, you could skip this silly loop.

You could eliminate the burden on the consumer by supporting vendors directly with a crypto > fiat service. Vendors already do AML/KYC on themselves. When is the last time someone paid with cash and filled out ID forms?

We don't really want a card. It's a burden to the consumer that fills in the gap for vendors who have not integrated DASH into their POS. Many people have become complacent with cards as a "good enough" position. And worse, it creates another middle man that resists the ultimate final step. This is not what crypto promised us, but we've compromised and become complacent due to the limitations of bitclones. DASH does not have those limitations. This step can be taken where others cannot.

Where do you stand on that?

web sites that accept bitcoin dont always take dash, start with both small vendors on a pos system. And getting online vendors to accept dash that perform a service where timing matters. These cards cover the gap until one day the ecosystem is so robust converting back to fiat will be the hard part.
My point is that I would rather see those dash going into Widgets creation for popular Webstores like Magento. Improve the Woocomerce plugin, or create a more sophisticate purchase methods-POS.

You can't profit share. The master nodes do not own the treasury money, they hold a vote to distribute it for the benefit of Dash. Not only does it violate Dash's intent for the master node system but probably runs afoul of bribery and corruption laws in many countries. Could you imagine a grant board receiving kickbacks for grants? That's exactly what it would be.

Coinizy CEO here. Charlie, I really appreciate all your efforts for both BTC & Dash communities, but you might want to credit us the next time you deliberately use our 2015 virtual bitcoin debit card design to craft yours (d1ueyc5nx1it61.cloudfront.net/939ebe5717041001104.png) . Thanks, and keep up the good crypto work
Yannick
He said it might not be the final design. Its just a demo image. I'm not even involved and I can tell that much.

Coinizy CEO here. Charlie, I really appreciate all your efforts for both BTC & Dash communities, but you might want to credit us the next time you deliberately use our 2015 virtual bitcoin debit card design to craft yours (https://www.d1ueyc5nx1it61.cloudfront.net/939ebe5717041001104.png) . Thanks, and keep up the good crypto work
Yannick

Hey.

Firstly, I did not "deliberately" do anything. If you are going to accuse me of doing something deliberately which implies intent, you must prove it.

I hired a designer to design this card (I can show you the receipt if you choose). If you want to accuse him of stealing your design, thats fine, however please do not accuse me.

If you want to claim ownership of this design, thats fine, I will change it. Im sorry to bother you :)

Charlie

Back