• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Hardware Wallets For Build And Test

Got this email from Ledger today

Hi

We plan to let the user change the message identity string in a future firmware version, possibly matching the Segwit firmware final release.

Best

Nicolas
-- Nicolas Bacca, CTO, ledgerwallet.com

So masternode support with Ledger will probably be available with Ledger OS 1.0.2 :)

9t2K7si.png

Last but not least: Ledger Nano in action. Normal wallet funtionality supported, masternode broadcast not. I'll need to get in touch with the vendor wether a firmware update could solve this...

@flare @kot how did it work out for the MN support ? how is the partnership evolving ? Their new device with screen in SDK release, the Ledger Blue, looks quite terrific on paper https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/9-ledger-blue

Last edited:
From Ledger's CEO :
"We don't have any information on the status of the development of Dash from core team. Our new platform (Nano S / Blue) allows to support Masternodes by coding special apps. The slack decelopper will soon be launched and will help the community to add HW support.

Mycelium et Electrum will be compatible with the Ledger Blue and the targeted commercial release date is expected by the end of 2016"

Just found this thread by looking for a hardware wallet for Dash. Reading through it I get the expression that there are many projects but still lots of obstacles. I'm looking for a reliable out-of-the-box solution for Dash which allows using masternodes. Does one of the three hardware wallet producers (Ledger, Keepkey, Trezor) already have that?

Just found this thread by looking for a hardware wallet for Dash. Reading through it I get the expression that there are many projects but still lots of obstacles. I'm looking for a reliable out-of-the-box solution for Dash which allows using masternodes. Does one of the three hardware wallet producers (Ledger, Keepkey, Trezor) already have that?

they all do when 12.1 is released !
:rolleyes:

Hello @DashRunner
As @tungfa said the HW are already ready to support masternodes. @eduffield said that the new ver should be within a month and it was already more than a week ago.
We are already 1.5 year with MN feature and so far can't remember MN operator who lost the coins on his wallet. True is that HW is more secured too but if someone already invest some serious money in the digital currency at least should backup and protect his wallet with a good password.
We are very close to the release so just keep your eyes open.
Cheers
Splawik

... if someone already invest some serious money in the digital currency at least should backup and protect his wallet with a good password.

Sorry to say that but this is a bit naive. How can that protect me against intruders into my computer system? The moment I enter my password the next time an intruder will immediately catch it and transfer out all the Dash. This is a real and steadily growing danger.

Ok I do agree that having hardware wallet is safier but still I think that people should take care about their pc to not become infected by any malware/vir etc... you can always use your normal wallet on bootable CD and be sure you have not it infected.
Just wait a bit for the HW and enjoy the peace and stay calm.

Sorry to say that but this is a bit naive. How can that protect me against intruders into my computer system? The moment I enter my password the next time an intruder will immediately catch it and transfer out all the Dash. This is a real and steadily growing danger.

general computer safety is definately a personal responsibility (and not dash)
in general i would always suggest a
vpn + keepass (copy/paste keywords) and a good solid computer password

A low-end secondary computer capable of hosting a masternode cold wallet can cost less than price of a Trezor. If you're using a virused-up daily driver for your MN cold wallet, you're doing it wrong.

What's more, you don't need to fire up that masternode-use-only computer very often at all. If you are, you're doing it wrong. Voting can be done without the cold wallet holding the funds. The only reason to open your masternode computer is to start a MN for the first time and transfer funds out of it. (too bad we lost the MN donation feature, as that actually allowed users to practically never have to start up their MN cold wallet).

Yes, you must connect your cold wallet computer to the internet unfortunately, but you CAN set your firewall so that only dash network communication can get in and out. And you CAN use a virus/backdoor-free linux distro, and you CAN make sure to use the computer for nothing else. And of course, the aforementioned keepass long passwords for both the wallet and the computer (LUKS disk encryption).

All that being said, masternode support on HW wallets will make all of this simple and easy. Even with HW wallet support, I still don't think I will ever run a MN on a daily-use windows computer.

I like trezor as i can take it with me on a ride connect it to my phone and spend dash via mycelium app :)
If I keep MNs on the trezor in the future and will use up solution when spending the 1000 inputs aren't locked in any way righ @flare @kefkius? If not can we somehow lock these inputs as well when beign on HW and using 3rd person app?

whow
anybody tested this yet ?
Yes, I tested it. Still no masternode support. Dash stored on the Ledger are safe but can not be used for a masternode. Ledger support keeps me telling that the responsibility for this application is with the Dash team and that they have no idea whether masternode support will be added.

they all do when 12.1 is released !
:rolleyes:
Now 12.1 is running. Still I can not get a hardware wallet with masternode support.
I would really be willing to pay serious money to get such a solution. Astonishing that no one sees a need to provide such a solution!

Yes, I tested it. Still no masternode support. Dash stored on the Ledger are safe but can not be used for a masternode. Ledger support keeps me telling that the responsibility for this application is with the Dash team and that they have no idea whether masternode support will be added.

tx for the update
i believe the team is finalising last glitches and details on MN's with TREZOR and KeepKey (working 99% or so) and then eventually will look into ledger as well

Back