Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Proposal: Hardware Wallets For Build And Test

Discussion in 'Pre + Budget Proposal Discussions' started by Ryan Taylor, Jun 4, 2016.

1. halso

halso Active Member

@flare so Trezor fully functional with Dash main net?

2. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

Yes, as soon as mainnet has updated to 0.12.1.x - current mainnet (0.12.0.x) only supports "normal" wallet functionality with Trezor/KeepKey/Ledger, masternode broadcast relies on a new protocol (70201).

• Like Like x 3
  3. halso

halso Active Member

what about Trezor and MNs that are hosted remotely? Also, will any trezor model will work with 12.1?

4. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

You can't start a 12.0 masternode with Electrum/Trezor, only 12.1 masternodes support it - it's a limitation of the current protocol.

Not sure what you are refering to with "12.1". If you mean "will Dash Core 12.1 support Trezor?" then the answer is no. You'll need to use one of these wallets which have HW wallet support.

Electrum-Dash 2.6.4 will be available soon, Mycelium integration is being worked on.

upload_2016-8-1_16-51-6.png

--> http://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-apps/index.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

Sooo.... If I want my MN 1000vin addresses to exist in a trezor, and be able to selectively spend their payment inputs in the same way as I can (using coin control input selections) in Core; how shall I do that with Trezor and notCore?

Oh, all of this using an Android App via USB OTG.

6. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

Also... I notice the only way to recover from the paper wallet to a new/wiped trezor, is to use the Chrome plugin and myTrezor... Would be cool if DASH could claim the ability to do that native to it's own Android app...

I realize you guys have your hands full and then some already, but I think the Android App needs to come in-house. The recent update looks like hell (overlapping text, no longer info-dense, bad color scheme), and it perma-crashes on IX attempt.

Yes, I'm still calling it IX. IS is retarded.

I know this is the hardware wallets thread, but OTG kinda makes it a hybrid mobile app project... If it's not supported on Android, it loses a lot of utility.

Maybe make that a naturally evolving 2nd proposal to the existing successful one?

7. halso

halso Active Member

Thanks @flare. I meant is there a special type of Trezor model that i need to get to support dash? I think the answer is no.

Will you be creating an you-tube idiots guide to setting up Trezor with dash whenever 12.1 is released?

• Like Like x 2
  8. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

No special type of Trezor, just the latest firmware (1.3.6) is needed for Dash support. What's nice about Trezor and KeepKey: You can use the same device for BTC and DASH in parallel. So using Trezor with Electrum will show you your BTC balance, while using the same Trezor with Electrum-Dash will show your DASH balance.

If you want to listen to my wonderful voice: Sure, why not :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. halso

halso Active Member

yes, that would be much appreciated. Also, does it have to be electrum wallet? Can i just use regular Dash client?

Can i still remotely host masternodes?

10. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

Dash Core does not have Trezor support built in, there is simply no USB driver code in there :)

--> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8218

And sure, masternode hosting does not change through Trezor. What changes is the location of the private key of your coins: If you use Dash Core, the private keys are stored in wallet.dat file - if you use Trezor the keys are stored inside the Trezor device and will never leave it. Only digital signatures are passed through the USB interface, either transactions signatures or masternode broadcast signatures. The first are the usual
    messages, the latter the new
    we need for masternode startups. Where the masternodes are located does not matter.

• Like Like x 1
  11. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

Got this email from Ledger today

So masternode support with Ledger will probably be available with Ledger OS 1.0.2 :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  12. Napoleon Dynamite

Napoleon Dynamite New Member

Dash Address:
    XhzCLq6wYgZngALTJyFPa1aFM3WceHWAQi
    @flare @kot how did it work out for the MN support ? how is the partnership evolving ? Their new device with screen in SDK release, the Ledger Blue, looks quite terrific on paper https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/9-ledger-blue

#42 Napoleon Dynamite, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  13. Napoleon Dynamite

Napoleon Dynamite New Member

Dash Address:
    XhzCLq6wYgZngALTJyFPa1aFM3WceHWAQi
    From Ledger's CEO :
    "We don't have any information on the status of the development of Dash from core team. Our new platform (Nano S / Blue) allows to support Masternodes by coding special apps. The slack decelopper will soon be launched and will help the community to add HW support.

Mycelium et Electrum will be compatible with the Ledger Blue and the targeted commercial release date is expected by the end of 2016"

14. DashRunner

DashRunner New Member

Just found this thread by looking for a hardware wallet for Dash. Reading through it I get the expression that there are many projects but still lots of obstacles. I'm looking for a reliable out-of-the-box solution for Dash which allows using masternodes. Does one of the three hardware wallet producers (Ledger, Keepkey, Trezor) already have that?

15. tungfa

tungfa Administrator
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Masternode Owner/Operator Moderator

they all do when 12.1 is released !
    :rolleyes:

16. DashRunner

DashRunner New Member

Your answer implies that none is supporting that functionality right now. Any idea when we can expect the release of Dash 12.1?

17. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

any minute
    next month
    hopefully super soon ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. DashRunner

DashRunner New Member

Haven't I heard the same last year? Sounds it will not happen soon. Without a hardware wallet it is very risky to hold Dash. Finally I should kick myself in the ass and sell my Dash.

19. splawik21

splawik21 Grizzled Member
    Dash Core Team Foundation Member Dash Support Group Moderator

Hello @DashRunner
    As @tungfa said the HW are already ready to support masternodes. @eduffield said that the new ver should be within a month and it was already more than a week ago.
    We are already 1.5 year with MN feature and so far can't remember MN operator who lost the coins on his wallet. True is that HW is more secured too but if someone already invest some serious money in the digital currency at least should backup and protect his wallet with a good password.
    We are very close to the release so just keep your eyes open.
    Cheers
    Splawik

• Like Like x 3
  20. DashRunner

DashRunner New Member

Sorry to say that but this is a bit naive. How can that protect me against intruders into my computer system? The moment I enter my password the next time an intruder will immediately catch it and transfer out all the Dash. This is a real and steadily growing danger.

21. splawik21

Ok I do agree that having hardware wallet is safier but still I think that people should take care about their pc to not become infected by any malware/vir etc... you can always use your normal wallet on bootable CD and be sure you have not it infected.
    Just wait a bit for the HW and enjoy the peace and stay calm.

22. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

general computer safety is definately a personal responsibility (and not dash)
    in general i would always suggest a
    vpn + keepass (copy/paste keywords) and a good solid computer password

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  23. Bridgewater

Bridgewater Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

A low-end secondary computer capable of hosting a masternode cold wallet can cost less than price of a Trezor. If you're using a virused-up daily driver for your MN cold wallet, you're doing it wrong.

What's more, you don't need to fire up that masternode-use-only computer very often at all. If you are, you're doing it wrong. Voting can be done without the cold wallet holding the funds. The only reason to open your masternode computer is to start a MN for the first time and transfer funds out of it. (too bad we lost the MN donation feature, as that actually allowed users to practically never have to start up their MN cold wallet).

Yes, you must connect your cold wallet computer to the internet unfortunately, but you CAN set your firewall so that only dash network communication can get in and out. And you CAN use a virus/backdoor-free linux distro, and you CAN make sure to use the computer for nothing else. And of course, the aforementioned keepass long passwords for both the wallet and the computer (LUKS disk encryption).

All that being said, masternode support on HW wallets will make all of this simple and easy. Even with HW wallet support, I still don't think I will ever run a MN on a daily-use windows computer.

24. flare

flare Administrator
    Dash Core Team Moderator

• Like Like x 4
  25. splawik21

I like trezor as i can take it with me on a ride connect it to my phone and spend dash via mycelium app :)
    If I keep MNs on the trezor in the future and will use up solution when spending the 1000 inputs aren't locked in any way righ @flare @kefkius? If not can we somehow lock these inputs as well when beign on HW and using 3rd person app?

26. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

27. DashRunner

DashRunner New Member

Yes, I tested it. Still no masternode support. Dash stored on the Ledger are safe but can not be used for a masternode. Ledger support keeps me telling that the responsibility for this application is with the Dash team and that they have no idea whether masternode support will be added.

• Like Like x 1
  28. DashRunner

DashRunner New Member

Now 12.1 is running. Still I can not get a hardware wallet with masternode support.
    I would really be willing to pay serious money to get such a solution. Astonishing that no one sees a need to provide such a solution!

29. tungfa

tungfa Administrator

tx for the update
    i believe the team is finalising last glitches and details on MN's with TREZOR and KeepKey (working 99% or so) and then eventually will look into ledger as well

• Like Like x 1
  30. tungfa

tungfa Administrator