• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Will pay for help - Technical assistance

Gi01

Hello

I am a proud owner of some Masternodes. I've posted sometimes here and on BCtalk, but I am not enough a technical savvy to do things properly, so I've always looked at guides (thanks Tao!) and on the forum to understand what to do.

I strongly believe that DASH is a great project, and I want to be part of it. Also, I want my "process" to run smoothly without a lot of issues, downtimes, drops of connectivity.

I actually hold my masternodes on Vultr. While i am extremely happy with their service, they are great if you have a single masternode, and they become borderline even with 2-3 nodes.
It's pretty easy to understand why. The cheap VPS will hold a node. If you try to have 2 IPs on the same VPS it's extremely hard for it to manage. I currently do that, but every once in a while a node drops and that means money.
Also, with EVOLUTION coming i fear that the VPS won't be able to hold 2 nodes.
OFC, you can buy more instances.

But in the end, if you have a certain amount of nodes it's much better to have a single server (not a VPS, a server) that hosts ALL the nodes.

I am here to ask for the following:

- Identify a proper service given the amount of nodes i want to setup. ANY advice is welcome (online.net my current pic)
- Move all my nodes to the new service. It should be trivial actually (it's just a change of IP)
- Setup on the new machine ALL the proper alerts if a node goes down, if something is wrong, whatever. This is something where i need help from a Linux-confident person
- More stuff that i may have to do

For the last 2 I understand that some time is required, so i will pay some DASH (tell me your price) to who helps me. OFC i will lurk the net to understand who wants to help and see if he's a good fellow

PLEASE NOTE: if by any chance you think that VULTR is still better just tell me why

Cheers,

Giulio

If I were you, I'd put my nodes on separate vps. It makes maintenance easier. Also, it's worth going for a stable host - with the current MN hardware requirements you can find one for 3-5$/m easily. Considering on average one MN yields 10 DASH, which is ~60 usd, this is only 5-8% of the income. If you miss even one payment because of server issues, it was not worth it.

Also, in case hardware requirements increase, it's way easier to upgrade separate nodes.

And last, but not least, if you host your nodes in various locations, that will strenghten the network.

Vultr by the way is good, no need to switch.

Hi Balu

Thanks for your reply and your technical advice

I make all your observations mine; i am just stuck with actual VPS that can't hold 2 MN/VPS (the current configuration of Vultr at 6$/M). I just made a lil math and it came out that a good server can host more (10 if not 15 nodes) with a lower cost and probably a greater stability.

Indeed, it has its own disadvantages, that's what I am trying to reduce

Cheers,

G.

But in the end, if you have a certain amount of nodes it's much better to have a single server (not a VPS, a server) that hosts ALL the nodes.

I don't think this is valid. It might seem easier to manage, but it's more anti-fragile (for the network and for yourself) to have one single $5 VPS per node. Use something like Ansible to configure your nodes and you can reduce setup time to a few minutes or less. I use Digital Ocean with Splawik's MN restart script, and have no problems with nodes dropping off ever. Just be sure and set up a swap partition if you use Digital Ocean, b/c they don't set one for you.

Back