• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why do Wallets have to look so satoshi?

Dunedoo

Foundation Member
I'm not bagging out the new wallet design. Its way better than the previous but I think all the wallets I have seen, have the "satoshi" look and feel to them.

It would be really neat to see the Dash wallet moved into todays world of marketing.
I think it would assist with a greater take up and acceptance if new users had a similar product to what they currently use.

Here are some examples of banking website designs from the financial brand.
http://thefinancialbrand.com/28070/50-of-the-most-spectacular-website-designs-in-banking/

I'm not bagging out the new wallet design. Its way better than the previous but I think all the wallets I have seen, have the "satoshi" look and feel to them.

It would be really neat to see the Dash wallet moved into todays world of marketing.
I think it would assist with a greater take up and acceptance if new users had a similar product to what they currently use.

Here are some examples of banking website designs from the financial brand.
http://thefinancialbrand.com/28070/50-of-the-most-spectacular-website-designs-in-banking/

You're comparing a website design to an application though. That's not a fair comparison at all.
How about a comparison between Dash's wallet and other applications instead?

I call the satoshi look the basic basic design (look/feel) of all wallets

I think you are meaning the basic "Bitcoin core" design that has been around forever. Most cryptocurrency wallets follow the same pattern of Overview - Send - Receive - Transactions all in relatively the same place.

The reason for this, from my understanding, is that the graphic front end for Bitcoin/Darkcoin is Qt. Qt is very good for cross compatibility between Windows/Mac/Unix, but I've been told it can be hard to work with programatically. Many devs choose to focus their time on function over design and there are not too many QT devs available to use. I love the new design, but I do agree a change to a different direction compared to the classic Bitcoin QT structure would be nice.

You're comparing a website design to an application though. That's not a fair comparison at all.
How about a comparison between Dash's wallet and other applications instead?
I know you did fantastic work with the current wallet and I'm not bagging that out only suggesting or putting it out there, what is the next step?
Everyone love's online banking. The interface is really what they care about and take it as a given that the program/backend should work. As DASH is to become digital cash IMO we should shadow the look and feel of financial and banking institutions and offer DASH as an alternative product.

There are mainly 3 reasons for this:
  • user coming from other crypto-currencies feel familiar and are not completely lost when switching over to Dash.
  • backward compatibility to Bitcoin Core. As long as we integrate new Bitcoin Core developments from time to time (remember, Dash was forked from Litecoin (which itself is a Bitcoin fork), then Bitcoin Core v0.9.x was integrated, soon Bitcoin Core v0.10.x will come) changing too much would make this a PITA (actually it already is a PITA, but still...).
  • someone would have to do this, and unfortunately a day has just 24 hours. It's a lot of work and will be a slow process.

Besides those 3 points, there are already plans for making the Qt-base of the wallet more flexible for design changes via CSS.

But it will still be more or less Satoshi-ish with Overview, Send, Receive and Transaction tabs.

(And, IMO, the usability of this design is quite good. I would only change it if the usability gets better.)

There are mainly 3 reasons for this:
  • user coming from other crypto-currencies feel familiar and are not completely lost when switching over to Dash.
  • backward compatibility to Bitcoin Core. As long as we integrate new Bitcoin Core developments from time to time (remember, Dash was forked from Litecoin (which itself is a Bitcoin fork), then Bitcoin Core v0.9.x was integrated, soon Bitcoin Core v0.10.x will come) changing too much would make this a PITA (actually it already is a PITA, but still...).
  • someone would have to do this, and unfortunately a day has just 24 hours. It's a lot of work and will be a slow process.

Besides those 3 points, there are already plans for making the Qt-base of the wallet more flexible for design changes via CSS.

But it will still be more or less Satoshi-ish with Overview, Send, Receive and Transaction tabs.

(And, IMO, the usability of this design is quite good. I would only change it if the usability gets better.)
Me too, and I think this is just the first step. However, we have to be careful. Most of our users come from Bitcoin and having something that is familiar to them is useful for an easier transition.
So are Bitcoiners our target?

So are Bitcoiners our target?
Everyone is, but they are the low hanging fruit because we don't need to educate them about crypto. I think they should be our primary focus. They also have the disadvantage of usually being biased towards altcoins, but I think that is less important than the fact that they already know what we are talking about.

Of course, if we can convert people directly to Dash that is amazing, but I think the other route is more realistic atm.

Back