• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

What's your theory?

^ Is it wrong that I enjoy watching it? If this Dev is serious about forking it, it could be a LTC bloodbath, which I find fascinating to watch.

I honestly don't see much value or innovation in LTC. It was the first Alt-Scrypt Coin and that's about it. Just because it was invented in 2012 or whatever, doesn't make it better than say something like DRK.

LTC was the first coin I was into, but I don't really understand it's appeal anymore.

It's amazing how emotional we get about these coins.

I'm torn about ASICs. I actually think bitcoin having a huge network hash rate secured with ASICs as a good thing, but on the other hand the '1 cpu = 1 vote' idea is something worth preserving in a coin.

I don't see how an unofficial hardfork can be anything but bad for litecoin. Which makes me wonder about the motivations of the instigator.

Sounds like they aren't going to do it. They realize that a hard fork would be suicide unless almost everyone went along with it, and that even if they did it would only delay the inevitable in terms of ASIC mining. People who want an ASIC resistant litecoin will just mine Hirocoin (though its hard to imagine why anyone would prefer that to DRK.

This does raise the question, if DarkCoin really blows up, there could be x11 ASICS on the horizon. Would we hard fork to ward them off? My vote would be yes! But only if the dev's were on board...

Sounds like they aren't going to do it. They realize that a hard fork would be suicide unless almost everyone went along with it, and that even if they did it would only delay the inevitable in terms of ASIC mining. People who want an ASIC resistant litecoin will just mine Hirocoin (though its hard to imagine why anyone would prefer that to DRK.

This does raise the question, if DarkCoin really blows up, there could be x11 ASICS on the horizon. Would we hard fork to ward them off? My vote would be yes! But only if the dev's were on board...
Well if Darkcoin will, in the future, be mined by ASIC machines, this will mean that it has become an important coin and your drk will be worth a lot

True, but it will also be vulnerable to a blacklist attack. Decentralization is important, and I think GPU mining is enough to discourage botnet attacks. Plus, I like mining!

Evan has stated on the bitcoin forum that he would not try to prevent this if someone went to the trouble of doing this but that it is likely very far off given how big x11 would have to get before anyone would bother trying.

Why would anyone possibly want an ASIC resistant coin? GPU is noisy, hot and expensive to power. Cryptocurrency is supposed to be 'the future' and I think the technology should be too. As long as they create ASIC hardware that's affordable for hobbyist I only see it as the right way to go.

Here's a good article on the subject. After reading this I understand more now about GPU miners resisting ASIC. It's seems to me that GPU mining is a subculture that's very anti-ASIC as if ASIC miners are the corporate enemy. My theory is that anyone of us can slowly grow an ASIC mining farm and make money in that space too. If not, we still have the choice to stick with GPU and do well with ASIC resistant coins. I only wish GPU mining wasn't so expensive to power. The only reason I'm even considering GPU mining is for darkcoin, otherwise I'm mining with ASIC-SCRYPT.
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/april/are scrypt asics the end of gpu mining

Why would anyone possibly want an ASIC resistant coin? GPU is noisy, hot and expensive to power. Cryptocurrency is supposed to be 'the future' and I think the technology should be too. As long as they create ASIC hardware that's affordable for hobbyist I only see it as the right way to go.
I strongly agree. ASICs mainly mean
  • a coin is importent enough that people throw millions of dollars at projects to create specialized hardware
  • network gets even more secured due to higher hashrate
btw darkcoin ASICs are already in the pipe afaik.

Back