• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

v0.11.1 - InstantX Release

Let us be fair and give him some hours to respond and state his opinion. No condemnation without hearing his side of the story.

In case he does not deliver a reasonable explanation, we should remind every miner of miningpoolhub of the possibility to give the user "miningpoolhub" on bitcointalk a negative trust rating. This might be a template how to handle these things in the future. DRK cheating leads to negative PR and the cheaters should better put this into their total equation.

Why? We can already see what is being done. Are you waiting for a lie? Or to be ignored? That's like saying you're not going to condemn a baby raper when you catch them in the act. I'll not describe that act further. If you were any kind of decent at all, you'd shoot such a person the moment you saw them.

Hm, on the one hand it's negative situation, but on the other hand system will be stronger in the future, because Evan can fix this vulnerability now and not in the far future, so I want to say "thank you" to all cheaters, because they help to make the whole system more secure.

That's not the problem, I also welcome everyone who finds a problem.

My problem is that it's a pool. When I mine at a pool, I trust them to not put 1% or 2% from my mining power into their own pockets.

And this trust is gone until they find a REALLY good explanation for this.

My problem is that it's a pool. When I mine at a pool, I trust them to not put 1% or 2% from my mining power into their own pockets.

Want a really good explanation and the only explanation? Greed. There is no other way to spin it other than greed.

As in the past, we invite people to hack at DRK, and if they get some DRK of their own out of it, that's payment for showing us the flaw.

This is a mining pool and they're NOT sharing it with the miners. This isn't about finding an exploit in DRK. We're glad for that. We invite it.

This is about ripping off the miners.

Hm, on the one hand it's negative situation, but on the other hand system will be stronger in the future, because Evan can fix this vulnerability now and not in the far future, so I want to say "thank you" to all cheaters, because they help to make the whole system more secure.
Of course. I like it as well. But there is always an other way to do things. They choose the negative one. They could simply inform our devs about that.

This
This is a mining pool and they're NOT sharing it with the miners. This isn't about finding an exploit in DRK.

wow resync works so fast.

both on: 219544 4224.16. Did I do the right thing, or should I have not reindexed? Maybe allow a reconverge on Mainnet. Successful one would be insane!

x@ip-1x6:~$ ./darkcoind spork show
{
"SPORK_6_REPLAY_BLOCKS" : 2
}
on one..other has

x@ip-x1:~$ ./darkcoind spork show
{
"SPORK_1_MASTERNODE_PAYMENTS_ENFORCEMENT" : 1443844990,
"Unknown" : 1444217600,
"SPORK_6_REPLAY_BLOCKS" : -1
}

and now:

"SPORK_6_REPLAY_BLOCKS" : -1

Why? We can already see what is being done. Are you waiting for a lie? Or to be ignored? That's like saying you're not going to condemn a baby raper when you catch them in the act. I'll not describe that act further. If you were any kind of decent at all, you'd shoot such a person the moment you saw them.

camosoul That's a valid view. Both of our ways merge into the same result. In the theoretical possible case you judge wrong in the act of heat, you do something yourself, that you doom other people for. Giving the other party room to explain avoids these kind of problems and is no loss at all.

I rather doubt the culpable mining pools are at the root of the problem. It would be in their interest to lay low and slowly siphon funds at a rate that would not draw attention to themselves. If the hack originated with the mining pools they would have had the ability to simply tilt the odds in their favor so that their scam could last indefinitely. Instead they introduced Ebola rather than the flu. Ebola is on the way out because it was too successful. It both alerted the world to its presence, and killed most of its victims. Successful parasites must not kill their victims, nor reveal their presence until they are entrenched..

If my post above is correct, and the "train wreck" was prescient gloating, it would indicate that Winteriscoming gave, or more likely sold the code to those in a position to profit from it. Based on his other post it is clear that this is something of an ego trip, and/or possibly a vendetta of some sort. He clearly has no desire to help with DRK development. As APBs are wont to note, he should be considered "armed and dangerous." I doubt we have heard the last of him.

I will also speculate, based on nothing more than a gut feeling, that Winteriscoming, is linked with, if not the same person as child-harold. Do not underestimate him. He is no intellectual light-weight. His choice of moniker is very revealing (as I would like to think mine is:what:). Childe Harold is heroic figure from 19th century literature. Childe is "an archaic term referring to a youth of noble birth or a youth in training to be a knight. In literature the word is often used as a title, as in the character Childe Roland of Robert Browning's poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" and Lord Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage."

Consider this comment on Byron's, "Childe Harold's Pilgrimage," found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childe_Harold's_Pilgrimage
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The work provided the first example of the Byronic hero.[4] The idea of the Byronic hero is one that consists of many different characteristics. The hero must have a rather high level of intelligence and perception as well as be able to easily adapt to new situations and use cunning to his own gain. It is clear from this description that this hero is well-educated and by extension is rather sophisticated in his style. Aside from the obvious charm and attractiveness that this automatically creates, he struggles with his integrity, being prone to mood swings. Generally, the hero has a disrespect for certain figures of authority, thus creating the image of the Byronic hero as an exile or an outcast. The hero also has a tendency to be arrogant and cynical, indulging in self-destructive behaviour which leads to the need to seduce women. Although his sexual attraction through being mysterious is rather helpful, it often gets the hero into trouble. Characters with the qualities of the Byronic hero have appeared in novels, films and plays ever since.
------------------------------------------------------------------
At this point this is all pure speculation; but I hope that those with more technical tools than I posses will investigate the hypothesis further.

One thing is certain; we have been noticed, and this will not be the last challenge to DRK. As Tante alluded to earlier, we ALL have a target on our back. We must be careful to watch each others.:cool:

Onward and upward, and God speed Evan!!!

Code:
2015-02-13 17:48:41 spork - new 95a3d35f0d8f87fdc1f0ea4bffb5d1033a156268f210ed998b68f3ad1e4f795a ID 10000 Time 1443754538 bestHeight 219564
2015-02-13 17:48:51 CActiveMasternode::Dseep() - SendDarkSendElectionEntryPing vin = CTxIn(COutPoint(3c9441508cd5edea34fa4164092afa03fb6a498ce21b918d4329080795c201dd, 0), scriptSig=)
2015-02-13 17:49:27 spork - new f3ce574a24e72b6e52cc26da39986c09501fc129e6140c2dd5ef0ad057e2e969 ID 10000 Time 1443844990 bestHeight 219564
2015-02-13 17:49:28 keypool reserve 2
2015-02-13 17:49:28 keypool return 2
ubuntu@ip-172-31-57-62:~$

Back