• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Trezor to Exodus Wallet (LOST 13 dash??!!)

Townsend

This morning I sent 0.5 dash from my Trezor to my Exodus wallet.
I then used Exodus' Exchange feature (Shapshift) to convert to ETH.

After this I noticed my Dash balance was 13.5 Dash less than before the transaction.

Here's the Dash Transaction in question.
99cc28cd955776ea647ac5a0e16832e6eecfa9d16a80facd2ffea02c66e81951

It's odd. Under Outputs you can see the 0.5 Dash I transferred.
THEN right under that, (also listed under Outputs), is another 12.5 Dash that says..
"Not yet redeemed".

Anybody understand what that means? Was I ripped off or is this some kind of bug
in the Dash system, Exodus wallet, or Shapshift service?

PS: My Trezor Wallet still list my correct total.

I wouldn't worry too much. This tx https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/t...0e16832e6eecfa9d16a80facd2ffea02c66e81951.htm looks perfectly normal for a Trezor transaction. With all likelyhood XuMXbvyw7PnixsezGnDDG5xTsvjcBT1dXM is just a change address in your Trezor wallet. What happened was that the unspent output that was used by trezor wallet as an input to the transaction was 13 Dash but you only transferred 0.5. So 12.5 Dash minus the tx fee went back to a trezor change address.

That's why the total in Trezor is correct.

What I don't really understand is why you think you lost anything? Where is it exactly that you noticed your Dash balance is 13.5 less than before the transaction?

The balance of 12.5 "not yet redeemed" is the change address of your Trezor wallet. Because this address is controlled by the Trezor, this behaviour is by design to protect your privacy. "Not yet redeemed" means you haven't spent this yet.

Good morning! Yes, yes. I guess I misspoke there. It was only 12.5 that seemed to be missing. Thanks for you replies. This was my first Trezor/Dash/Send transaction, so being used to Ethereum I was not expecting any new addresses to be created with "remainder" coins.

So the next time I send Dash from this Trezor Wallet it will deduct from the 12.5 "not yet redeemed" coins??

I will add this new "not yet redeemed" address to my Coinigy balance to make things right. Hopefully Trezor only needs this one internal address, (and will not create another internal address), even after more than 12.5 additional Dash coins are sent. (??)

PS:Thanks guys! This is a much better explanation that any of the other threads on the "not yet redeemed" notation. No one else mentioned Trezor creating an internal address.

So the next time I send Dash from this Trezor Wallet it will deduct from the 12.5 "not yet redeemed" coins??

I will add this new "not yet redeemed" address to my Coinigy balance to make things right. Hopefully Trezor only needs this one internal address, (and will not create another internal address), even after more than 12.5 additional Dash coins are sent. (??)

1. Yes, if the 12.5 coins is your full balance, that is where the next send will be deducted from.

2. No, I'm not sure why Ethereum does it that way (re-using a single address). In Bitcoin and related cryptocurrencies best practice is to never use an address for more than one receive and one send. Every time you send a transaction, any change will go to a newly created address. Additionally, every time you request funds, most wallets generate a new receive address. Wallets like Trezor that use BIP32/44 can generate a virtually unlimited number of addresses from the seed.

best practice is to never use an address for more than one receive and one send. Every time you send a transaction, any change will go to a newly created address. Additionally, every time you request funds, most wallets generate a new receive address. Wallets like Trezor that use BIP32/44 can generate a virtually unlimited number of addresses from the seed.

Interesting!! Been using a handful of ETH address – and if you were to look at them – you would see a long list of all my transactions with dates and IN and OUT references. What you're describing with Bitcoin and Dash – as (BIP32/44). This offers a LOT more privacy! Now I understand why my Bitcoin Explorer logs have been so skimpy.

If you don't spend your entire balance in a single transaction in the future, Trezor will continue to make new change addresses for each transaction. Again, this is by design and is intended to protect your privacy. For more information, see the section on "Bitcoin-like currencies" (which includes Dash) at this link: https://blog.trezor.io/wallet-accounts-and-addresses-bdfa6b66b037

Thanks! This is turning into a real education. I moved another 0.5 Dash and like you said...
Trezor will continue to make new change addresses for each transaction.

Okay. I like the privacy! But there there is one potential downside. Which I may just have to live with.

With Ethereum I am always able to go the the Block Explorer and get a current balance. With Dash that does not seem possible. While sending coins INTO my 2 Dash addresses the Block Explorer reported my total balance correctly. But now that I'm sending Dash OUT, the Block Explorer balances are way off. (Due to the reasons described above. Great for privacy.)

Of course my Trezor always reports my correct balance. So... here is one more question. Other than using my Trezor, is there any way to look up my current balance using the Block Explorer or some other Explore type tool?

Again... thanks guys! I appreciate you taking the time to explain all this to me.

Hi there! It's turning into education for me as well, since I am mostly familiar with Bitcoin-like blockchains and don't know much about Ethereum...

To monitor your Dash/Bitcoin balance remotely from Trezor you need something called an XPUB (eXtended PUBlic key). This is equivalent to all of the addresses that will (at some point in the future) be generated per account, based on your private key (which is derived from the seed key). You can import the XPUB into a variety of apps, some of which offer APIs that will connect to whatever you like to use for tracking balances. Be careful handing out the XPUB - unlike a single public address, it will let any party view your entire ACCOUNT history, which again has serious privacy repercussions. However, having an XPUB does not allow a third party to create any transactions.

You can view the XPUB in Trezor by selecting the account, clicking the settings cog, and then "Show XPUBs".

https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-...es-can-import-trezor-account-public-keys-xpub

Back