• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Tor configuration without Tor Browser Bundle

pwet_pin

There are some 3 guides around to get Dash to work with Tor, but the guide creator doesn't seem to be around any more to answer questions.

I cannot post links, but you can search in the Forum for '3 How to run a local Dash Tor hidden service (advanced setup, high privacy, own onion address)'

I don't understand why Tor Browser Bundle is necessary, when Tor by itself is already listening on Port 9050.
Is someone out there able to explain this to me?

Hi @pwet_pin great to see someone looking into Dash on Tor again! I didn't write those guides but I'm currently responsible for the Dash documentation, but I have never been able to test Dash under Tor, and I don't think there are any current guides available. I'm also not sure if there are any nodes available on Tor at the moment, but if you would like to work with me to set up a few full nodes I'd be super interested in documenting the most direct solution for both full nodes and end users (i.e. no browser bundle). This should help get a bit of Dash infrastructure up on Tor. Bonus point: I live in China so we can test this with a realistic use case!

I'm @strophy#2696 on Discord if you want to chat, or we can take this to PM to try and get it working...

these old TOR guides were from 2015 or so
we had a community guy who was a TOR pro back then , I hunted him. down at some point on the DN to get some updates but he never really came back
I believe we need to start from scratch with those

Hi @pwet_pin great to see someone looking into Dash on Tor again! I didn't write those guides but I'm currently responsible for the Dash documentation, but I have never been able to test Dash under Tor, and I don't think there are any current guides available. I'm also not sure if there are any nodes available on Tor at the moment, but if you would like to work with me to set up a few full nodes I'd be super interested in documenting the most direct solution for both full nodes and end users (i.e. no browser bundle). This should help get a bit of Dash infrastructure up on Tor. Bonus point: I live in China so we can test this with a realistic use case!

I'm @strophy#2696 on Discord if you want to chat, or we can take this to PM to try and get it working...

Hi, there are 3 guides in the forum (I cannot post URLs yet):
1-how-to-run-dash-with-the-tor-browser-bundle-easy-setup-moderate-privacy-hide-your-ip.4223
2-how-to-run-dash-with-tor-nodes-connected-only-moderate-setup-high-privacy-hide-in-the-deep.4224
3-how-to-run-a-local-dash-tor-hidden-service-advanced-setup-high-privacy-own-onion-address.4225

I'm interested in testing this, and I will message you via Discord.
But in fact I was hoping someone experienced in Tor would look at the setup and confirm if it's sound or not. And explain the need for Tor Browser Bundle and if it is really mandatory for a proper anonymous connection.

Back