• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Temporary disabling of InstandSend due to potential quorum exploit method

The roadmap was put together before IS issue was even discovered and it took a lot of time to find a proper way to fix it (initially we had another fix prepared btw). Anyway, all major tickets for 12.2 are closed now and everything (2mb blocks, lower fees, IS fix, and a whole bunch of internal fixes/backports/refactoring) seems to be working as designed. We are forking testnet right now to test migration process and to make sure that we didn't miss anything and dip0001 activation + network upgrade work well together (these were two separate events on "old" testnet). That's going to take few more days, not sure how long but at least 3 more. If no issues are found during this, then we are going to start migration at the very end of September (30th) or first days of October (more likely). Then it depends on how fast masternoders/miners are going to update so that dip0001 could lock in/activate and thus trigger other fixes. However, you should keep in mind that dip0001 lock in is going to require at least a week in any case, see https://github.com/dashpay/dips/blob/master/dip-0001.md#selection-of-parameters and _this_ is the earliest time we can turn IS back on. Considering how long it usually takes to update MNs, I'd say this day (of IS activation) is probably closer to mid of October.
And translations?
Who and when?

Thanks for the detailed response, this is definitely something I can work with.

Question: in the original post, Andy mentioned the possibility of an immediate hotfix instead of waiting for 12.2. What would have been the timeline for this approach from the moment the problem was announced?
It's hard to tell. That fix would include protocol bump to get some idea of update progress which would mean that everyone would have to update and moreover, MNs would have to be restarted losing their place in the payment queue.. which is quite of a disincentive. Generally speaking, that would be just like any other major update (we would probably had to turn payment enf. off too because moving MNs in and out of the list brings some "turbulence" to network, which can result in forking). So I'd say it would take at least 2-3 weeks before things would calm down (we fixed this and it shouldn't cause that many issues for 12.2+ updates btw, well, hopefully :rolleyes:). This means that it would be mid/end of September, when we could activate IS... and then we'd have to turn it off again for 12.2 migration after a week or so and ask everyone to update once again... so it didn't make much sense to follow that path imo.

And translations?
Who and when?
I hate this part :p I'll upload new _en.ts to transifex in a few following days. This usually doesn't break anything and can be updated even later in some minor releases, so I left this part for the very end of testing.

I hate this part :p I'll upload new _en.ts to transifex in a few following days. This usually doesn't break anything and can be updated even later in some minor releases, so I left this part for the very end of testing.

Ok, thanks.

It's hard to tell. That fix would include protocol bump to get some idea of update progress which would mean that everyone would have to update and moreover, MNs would have to be restarted losing their place in the payment queue.. which is quite of a disincentive. Generally speaking, that would be just like any other major update (we would probably had to turn payment enf. off too because moving MNs in and out of the list brings some "turbulence" to network, which can result in forking). So I'd say it would take at least 2-3 weeks before things would calm down (we fixed this and it shouldn't cause that many issues for 12.2+ updates btw, well, hopefully :rolleyes:). This means that it would be mid/end of September, when we could activate IS... and then we'd have to turn it off again for 12.2 migration after a week or so and ask everyone to update once again... so it didn't make much sense to follow that path imo.

Very good, thank you, that fully answers the whole subject. I think this excellent level of communication is just what's needed to mitigate misconceptions held by the general public. Highly anticipating the 12.2 release!

>However, for safety we have disabled InstandSend via ["SPORK_2_INSTANTSEND_ENABLED": false]

Can you elaborate on that? What else on the DASH network can be enabled/disabled by the powers-to-be ?

Ok, thanks.
Took me longer than I expected exactly because of the reasons why I hate it - some packages for python scripts were missing and I broke my env trying to fix it.. Anyway, en source should be more or less up to date on transifex now :)

Note/reminder to everyone translating strings:
- please keep all special symbols in place - %n and %1 etc are placeholders and MUST be kept ("Copy source string" button is your friend);
- keep number of brackets the same, make sure you have (no) "." at the end just like in the original source;
- do not translate Dash (Core), translating "dashes" is ok however;
- use "Suggestions" to follow more or less the same terminology and save your time;
- you can "borrow" translations for some strings from bitcoin https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/src/qt/locale , they are far from being accurate sometimes but can serve as a good start;
- probably smth else I can't remember right now, we'll figure it out as we progress :)

EDIT: PR created https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/1659

Last edited:
Took me longer than I expected exactly because of the reasons why I hate it - some packages for python scripts were missing and I broke my env trying to fix it.. Anyway, en source should be more or less up to date on transifex now :)

Note/reminder to everyone translating strings:
- please keep all special symbols in place - %n and %1 etc are placeholders and MUST be kept ("Copy source string" button is your friend);
- keep number of brackets the same, make sure you have (no) "." at the end just like in the original source;
- do not translate Dash (Core), translating "dashes" is ok however;
- use "Suggestions" to follow more or less the same terminology and save your time;
- you can "borrow" translations for some strings from bitcoin https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/src/qt/locale , they are far from being accurate sometimes but can serve as a good start;
- probably smth else I can't remember right now, we'll figure it out as we progress :)

EDIT: PR created https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/1659
Ok, thanks.
How much we have time to get it done?

EDIT: Finnish translated. There was only 76 new strings.

Last edited:
Back