• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

TAO'S MASTERNODE SETUP GUIDE FOR DUMMIES (UPDATE GUIDE UPDATED FOR 13.0)

If you have only one masternode then dash.conf and old kind of setup is OK, if you want to vote on the budget etc than this is the way to go with masternode.conf and@up post.

I see.
So, how does the old dash.conf way know what your VIN transaction key is ?

I see.
So, how does the old dash.conf way know what your VIN transaction key is ?
You simply put in your dash.conf these
Code:
masternode=1
masternodeaddr=IP:9999
masternodeprivkey=7r....[code]
edit: local pc

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anyway of autostart dashd when server crashes ? I found one guide for it, but it's only when rebooting the server.
My server is going down about 1 time a mounth, then it seems to start up again by it self. So is there any command for dashd to start when server starts ?

Is there anyway of autostart dashd when server crashes ? I found one guide for it, but it's only when rebooting the server.
My server is going down about 1 time a mounth, then it seems to start up again by it self. So is there any command for dashd to start when server starts ?
Do these:

nano mn_watch.sh
inside the mn_watch.sh paste this:

#!/bin/bash
if [ -z `pidof dashd` ]; then
./dashd -shrinkdebugfile
fi

then

chmod u+x mn_watch.sh

crontab -e

@reboot dashd
*/10 * * * * /home/YOUR_USER/mn_watch.sh

Do these:

nano mn_watch.sh
inside the mn_watch.sh paste this:

#!/bin/bash
if [ -z `pidof dashd` ]; then
./dashd -shrinkdebugfile
fi

then

chmod u+x mn_watch.sh

crontab -e

@reboot dashd
*/10 * * * * /home/YOUR_USER/mn_watch.sh

Awsome :) thanks alot!
This does not affect the current queue time ?

TAO, thanks for the write up, I just used it successfully to run my first node. Is your Dash addy still the same? I would like to send something your way

Hi Tao: I joined the Dash community a couple months ago and your guide is awesome and I have been able to setup 3 masternodes in the last couple months with no problem thanks to your guide. I do have a problem now though - Vultr had a problem with the MN1 (Atlanta) server and said they had to restart the server on 12-10-2015. My MN1 no longer registered on "Dashninja" and "Dashwhale" is also showing a thumbs down for my MN1. MN2 (Frankfurt) and MN3 (Tokyo) is still working fine. I tried several things to try to get it restarted and finally last night did a "reinstall" and started at ground zero (almost except for getting a new MN address from my wallet and am using the original MN1 address).

Everything worked great and it appeared it was going to work even down to the last step "./dash-cli masternode list full | grep" which reported "Enabled". Even after several hours, it does not show up on "dashninja".

Any suggestions? Do I need to get a new MN address and start over again?

Thanks for any advice you might be able to provide.

TAO'S START-MANY GUIDE FOR DUMMIES - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
(BASED ON THE FINE WORK OF orangecycle)

Tao, thank you for your invaluable service, without your write-ups, a Linux no0b like me would have had a very hard time setting up a masternode. Thanks to you, setting up my first node was a breeze.

I am about to launch a second node, and need a bit of assistance though, because searching didn't yield answers. What I am trying to do is do the "start-many" local wallet, and I have decided against adding additional IPv4 to my Vultr instance, and instead will rent out a new instance out of respect for the whole decentralization idea.

The issue I am having is, I tried to follow your writeup on page 6 using option 2. I already have a wallet with a masternode address with 1000dash and I am just trying to create a new addy with another 1000, and generating a new masternode key for it, then creating the masternode conf file and discarding the dash conf. The issue is with obtaining the collateral outputs for the masternode conf files. When I run the command in debug, I only get one collateral output returned. Isn't it supposed to be a list for all of the masternode keys that I have generated? In your example, the outputs in the file seem different for the two nodes? Sorry if this is a no0b question.

Also, the alias in the masternode.conf file can be just any arbitrary designation that I choose, correct? Or does it need to correspond to something?

Also, I assume that on the server side, the rest of the steps should be just like setting up the first node in your first tutorial, correct?

And while we are on the subject of Linux, I've always been meaning to learn more about it, but I like to be thorough and know that there is a lot of material to cover, and have thus far abstained due to lack of time. However, my strong belief in the future of Dash is sort of pushing me in that direction now, and I'd like to ask the experts what's a good starting point to self-teach? Any good online pdf's or tutorials? I am literally starting from 0

Thanks again!

In your wallet, you need to have 2 different addresses that have an exact 1,000 DASH deposit in each one.

Address 1 - 1000 DASH deposit
Address 2 - 1000 DASH deposit

When you run Masternode outputs the two deposit txIDs should be displayed. These are the IDs you use in the Masternode.conf.

Is this your current setup?

Hence my mistake, I tried to set up the file before I had deposited the second 1000 dash. Yes, that is my setup now and it gives me two outputs instead of the one before. I assume the first output correlates to the older address that was funded, and the second to the new address?

Hence my mistake, I tried to set up the file before I had deposited the second 1000 dash. Yes, that is my setup now and it gives me two outputs instead of the one before. I assume the first output correlates to the older address that was funded, and the second to the new address?
Yes that's right. Glad you got straightened out!

Hey guys, so I set up my second masternode using Tao's start-many guide, and all was well. Today my second masternode received is first payment, but my first masternode did not. Moreover, my first masternode had received 2 payments previously, but now it's been more than 1 week since last payment. My question is, don't all masternodes on the network receive payment at the same time, or do I have a problem with my first masternode now?

Also, one thing I have not been sure about is, when setting up the masternode.conf on each line there are 4 parameters, the last parameter is an index. When I listed my outputs via the debug console, one of my collateral output indexes for one of the addy's was 0, the other was a 1. What do these indexes mean, and could my problem be there?

the index simply says which possition in output the tx has.... it can even be 32 or 40 depends to how many places it goes from input to output inside one transaction...Hope it is clear....

if your node is active and green that do not touch it...one of my nodes had the similiar situation but all is fine now.

patience my young padavan ;)

Thank you splawik21, yes it is showing as active and everything else looks good. I just did more reading in the mean time, I guess not all nodes are paid simultaneously, but rather, there is a queue, and they move up in time until they reach the top of the queue to get reimbursed, correct?

I've always had an interest in Darkcoin and used to trade it, but the dev team keeps on proving that they not only make lofty promises, but they actually deliver on them, and in a timely manner too. I haven't seen that in almost any other coin. And the current features are absolutely groundbreaking, I'm actually surprised that Dash hasn't been picked up by more merchants. Not to mention what evolution will do to the level of this coin... so I am now in it for the long run, and will certainly be patient with this :)

Fido nice essence of what DASH is and where it goes.
For the first paragraph - yes you`re right.

Hey Tao, I am simply amazed at all the work you have done. This is a great community and I am very greatful to have the opportunity to be a part of it!

I have my VPS, my 1000 DrK, and am ready to fire up my masternode. I just have two questions:

First, I didn't use putty, or the joe editor, I used 'wget' to download the tar file, and I don't know where to put the dash.conf file on the VPS. For instance right now I have it in .dark/dash.conf and my dash files from the tar are in another directory. However, if it works like my dashqt on my local machine the first time I run dashd it will automatically install in .dash, so maybe this isn't a problem?

Second, the rpc configuration: You said we could make random rpcuser and rpcpassword strings. However when I make my masternode.conf file on my local server do I need to make sure that my rpcuser and rpcpassword strings are the same as those in the dash.conf file on my vps?

Back