• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

TAO'S MASTERNODE SETUP GUIDE FOR DUMMIES (UPDATE GUIDE UPDATED FOR 13.0)

i just checked, i have 2 not been paid since 24th !
i would just wait !!

Apologies if this has been answered before.

Question: what's the average amount of DRK you can expect to make as income, while running a Masternode?

Thanks!

it depends on the amount of MN's

in the moment it is around
0.44 DRK per day x 30 days = 13.2 DRK per Month

158 DRK per year
that is a return of around 15% on your investment of 1000 Coins

For UPDATE guide, please click here: https://darkcointalk.org/posts/25672/

For those I linked here who are from outside of the community: The Masternode network is a group of de-centralized nodes which aid in the process of Darksend Mixing. They are eligible to receive payments, as a reward! Anyone can set up a Masternode, the only pre-requisite is 1,000DRK. Understand, you are not committed to anything, you can quit and sell your DRKs at any time.

WELCOME TO TAO'S MASTERNODE SETUP GUIDE FOR DUMMIES!

Hi, and welcome to you, who are interested in setting up a Darkcoin Masternode! I have found Masternode ownership to be a very rewarding experience, teaching me about computers and different operating systems, as well as making me extra money for DRKs that would just be sitting in my wallet anyway!

BEFORE YOU BEGIN, YOU WILL NEED:

- 1,000 DRK
- The latest Darkcoin wallet, which can always be found here: https://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/
- Some USB thumb drives
- Two Windows programs (PuTTY: http://www.putty.org/, and WinSCP: http://winscp.net/eng/download.php#download2. Installation Package)
- A VULTR account, which can be found here: https://www.vultr.com/
- An ability to follow instructions to the letter

I'm TAO OF SATOSHI, and I will be your guide through this understandably intimidating set-up. You will be just fine, please take it slow, and be sure to thoroughly follow the instructions.

Be aware, you are setting up a Masternode on a remote server, and keeping your DRKs on a local Windows PC. Your DRKs are never in danger from the remote server, and I will show you how to run this Masternode with your wallet offline/cold so your DRKs will not be in danger on your Windows PC either. Please practice safe computing and backup your wallet regularly, as I will show you how to do.

Happy Masternoding!

Any questions or comments feel free to post below. Remember, I am trying to make this guide as easy as possible, and would welcome feedback to that end.

All images in this thread are credited to WeirdGod, I used them from his guide for more advanced users.

If you value this guide and have found it easy to use, please show me some DRK love at:

XgUJ1vpJN49YTEnBJxZ6dfhTrQmyF4Ecuw

(Tao's New Masternode Fund :grin:)

LET'S GET STARTED!

First, you will need to prepare the Windows PC and the Darkcoin Wallet (darkcoin-qt.exe) to support the Masternode setup.

Please bear in mind the following safety tips:

- Always do a backup of your WALLET.DAT if you have DRKs on your computer.
- Think twice before deleting or overwriting anything, as there is no way back...Post here for help.
- Never copy WALLET.DAT when your wallet is running! Please use the BACKUP WALLET command from within your wallet instead.

This guide is going to assume that you have a clean PC with no DRK wallet installed. If you have installed a DRK wallet already, you are ahead of the game. Congratulations, you eager beaver! You get to skip the next line, only:

Download the latest Windows version of "darkcoin-qt.exe" (the DRK wallet) as found on this page: https://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/

----- Create new directory c:\darkcoin.

Move the "darkcoin-qt.exe" file to this new directory.

Fire up your new DRK wallet. Feel that engine purr! You may get a security pop up from your virus scanner, please override.

Now please go for a coffee, run to the grocery store, or do whatever you have to do while you wait for your wallet to fully sync with the network.

It should look like this, "out of sync" until it is fully caught up with the network.

I1KiOV0.png

Oh, you're back! I guess the wallet has finished syncing with the network! You are now ready for the next step:

On your Desktop, create a new notepad file.

Back in your wallet, click on HELP, DEBUG WINDOW, and then in the DEBUG WINDOW, click on the second tab named CONSOLE.

DzPaFhB.png

You will find the command line at the bottom of the console.

Enter the following command: "masternode genkey" and press ENTER.

You will see a long string of numbers and letters.

Please copy/paste this string to the new notepad file on your Desktop. This is the key you will need to verify your Masternode later in the process.

Enter the following command: "getaccountaddress 0" and press ENTER.

This will generate your new Masternode's receiving address!

Please copy/paste this string to the notepad file, as well.

Please note: This address will be the one that you will send your 1,000DRK to, and the one where all future payments will go.

Congratulations, you are getting closer. Still lots to go through, so bear with me!

Once you have copy/pasted these items into your notepad file, you are finished with the Console. You may now close it, and return to the Overview screen.

A visual of the last step:

IzkOxTx.png

Important safety procedure time!

Begin securing your wallet by clicking on SETTINGS, ENCRYPT WALLET.

Enter a password, repeat it, and click OK.
IMPORTANT: I recommend that you type your password into your notepad file, and then cut/paste into the password field so you are sure of what your password will be. This is a big investment, and it pays to be sure!

Do not forget your password! Keep it somewhere safe, as you do not want to lose your DRKs!

You will see your DRK wallet may become unresponsive for several seconds, this is normal. Please do not hit any keys until your wallet has finished encrypting. Once your wallet has finished and closed, you are ready for the next security step:

Re-run your wallet (darkcoin-qt.exe) and immediately go to FILE, BACKUP WALLET.

uLgdvaE.png

Select the location where you want to store a copy of your WALLET.DAT, and backup your wallet.

Please note: I recommend backing up your wallet to several USBs to keep in different locations.

I can't stress this enough: BACKUP regularly! You never know with hard drives these days!

Financing your Masternode (depositing 1,000DRK to your "0" address):

Please check your wallet Overview screen. If you see that the big button under Darksend says "Stop Darksend Mixing", please click on it to disable Darksend. If you see that the button says "Start Darksend Mixing", you are good to go to the next step:

From wherever you currently hold your 1,000DRK (exchange, another DRK wallet, even a different address in the same wallet), please send your DRKs to your new "0" Masternode receiving address in your wallet. Make sure the "Darksend" checkbox is unchecked.
IMPORTANT: You must send EXACTLY 1,000DRK to this address, no more, no less, to be eligible to run a Masternode! (VIN 1,000)

Once you have initiated the transaction, you must wait for 15 confirmations so your address is eligible to be associated with your new Masternode. This usually takes about 40 minutes on average.

This time, you're lucky however, you don't have to wait! You can let the Darkcoin blockchain do it's thing while you move on to the next post:

Can you please start working on "rebranding" the guide ?!
that would be great and super appreciated
Tx

Quick Dash update Guide for Dummies:

Download QT and dashd.

In Putty:

Login to your VPS.

./darkcoind stop

rm .darkcoin/peers.dat

rm .darkcoin/debug.log

In WinSCP:

Login to your VPS.
On the right side, right click and rename the .darkcoin folder .dash.
Go into the .dash folder, right click and rename Darkcoin.conf to dash.conf
Transfer dashd to VPS.

Back to Putty:

chmod 777 ./dashd

./dashd

Wait a minute, and do a Masternode start on your local wallet.

That's it!

Quick Dash update Guide for Dummies:

Download QT and dashd.

In Putty:

Login to your VPS.

./darkcoind stop

rm .darkcoin/peers.dat

rm .darkcoin/debug.log

In WinSCP:

Login to your VPS.
On the right side, right click and rename the .darkcoin folder .dash.
Go into the .dash folder, right click and rename Darkcoin.conf to dash.conf
Transfer dashd to VPS.

Back to Putty:

chmod 777 ./dashd

./dashd

Wait a minute, and do a Masternode start on your local wallet.

That's it!
Thanks for your guide Tao, Im to much of a chicken to mess with my local wallet containing all of my coins, without someone holding my hand. Could you explain that part for me. Im not using the terminal or putty to manage my local wallet.

So far what I think is what Im supposed to do is download the new wallet and copy my wallet.dat to the new dash folder, rename my darkcoin.conf to dash.conf and copy it to the dash folder... am I on the right path ? something missing ?

Thanks for your guide Tao, Im to much of a chicken to mess with my local wallet containing all of my coins, without someone holding my hand. Could you explain that part for me. Im not using the terminal or putty to manage my local wallet.

So far what I think is what Im supposed to do is download the new wallet and copy my wallet.dat to the new dash folder, rename my darkcoin.conf to dash.conf and copy it to the dash folder... am I on the right path ? something missing ?
Just before doing this, backup your wallet.dat, so your coins are sure to be safe. You don't have to move your wallet.dat at all.

Simply rename your DarkCoin folder Dash, and rename your darkcoin.conf dash.conf.

Navigate to your data folder, delete peers.dat, and debug.log.

Download new dash-qt.exe, install where your old one was, and run.

That's it!

Hi there

Despite being totally dumb and noob I was able to set up a single masternode using Tao's guide

Thing is, for a lot of unexpected reasons, I have to setup a second node. I have been reading the post and I really don't understand what i have to do; it looks like there a different updates/guides and some of them are saying different things from the others (like different IPs-single IPs, one file, 2 directories... etc)

Could someone be so kind to tell me what I should do? I am totally retarded regarding linux etc, but I was able to follow the basic rules Tao wrote.

Back