• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

TAO'S MASTERNODE SETUP GUIDE FOR DUMMIES (UPDATE GUIDE UPDATED FOR 13.0)

It means your node have not yet seen proper "watchdog" message (which is triggered by Sentinel) from the masternode in WATCHDOG_EXPIRED state. While in migrations period it's ok to see this for all 12.0 masternodes (they don't have one) and for some 12.1 masternodes (due to connectivity issues - 12.1 masternode could be surrounded by 12.0 nodes only which do not recognize this message and do not relay it).

Thank you very much.

It seams to be 12.1 majority... similar by both MN's

dash-cli getpeerinfo | grep subver
"subver": "/Dash Core:0.12.1/",
"subver": "/Dash Core:0.12.0.58/",

It seams to be 12.1 majority... similar by both MN's

dash-cli getpeerinfo | grep subver

It can still be isolated in other parts of the network, there are a lot of islands with one version or the other. It's perfectly normal, you don't realise it as a user but it's kind of scary from an admin perspective :) Try running "dash-cli getchaintips" sometime, they're places where the network has begun to fork, there will only be a few on a new installation but there are pages of them on an old one! They all fix themselves though, it's extremely fault-tolerant and that's what the network is doing at the mo, trying to go with one version or the other. The new version will accept the old one but the old can't accept the new so it can only go one way but it's chaotic while it sorts its self out.

"Masternode successfully started" on both clients means all is good. You could try checking them in dashninja to see what another part of the network is seeing, you may get the same results as your own client, maybe the reverse but it's a good service, chances are they'll both show up as active:
https://www.dashninja.pl/

Maybe I did not properly do the step 10 at Updating+to+12.1
*/5 * * * * cd /home/YOURUSERNAME/.dashcore/sentinel && ./venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py 2>&1 >> sentinel-cron.log

should it be run as root or user?

*/5 * * * * root cd /home/YOURUSERNAME/.dashcore/sentinel && ./venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py 2>&1 > sentinel-cron.log
*/5 * * * * MNuser cd /home/YOURUSERNAME/.dashcore/sentinel && ./venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py 2>&1 > sentinel-cron.log

On my local PC it showed ENABLED first but after a while is the status WATCHDOG_EXPIRED.
The Problem was that this command did not run from crontab (advised to run every 5 min., I set it up every one minit):
cd /home/YOURUSERNAME/.dashcore/sentinel && ./venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py 2>&1 >> sentinel-cron.log

The Problem was that this command did not run from crontab (advised to run every 5 min., I set it up every one minit):
cd /home/YOURUSERNAME/.dashcore/sentinel && ./venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py 2>&1 >> sentinel-cron.log
You've changed YOURUSERNAME to the name of your home folder? It shouldn't be run as root and if it has you may need to change permissions on some files before it can be run as a normal user.

In "Remote wallet -- in datacenter, has no funds, and runs Sentinel"
step 5) delete debug.log and all cache files new dashcore folder

rm -f .dashcore/{debug.log,peers.dat,fee_estimates.dat,mn*.dat}

... it should also remove budget.dat?

rm -f .dashcore/{budget.dat,debug.log,peers.dat,fee_estimates.dat,mn*.dat}

Thanks for the update,

but I run into some problems with the sentinel at step 8:
venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py
should return nothing but silence. This is how you know it's working.

but I receive:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bin/sentinel.py", line 209, in <module>
main()
File "bin/sentinel.py", line 144, in main
if not is_dashd_port_open(dashd):
it wont let me copy the full list

any help??

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/sentinel.py", line 206, in <module>
    Transient.set(mutex_key, misc.now(), timeout_seconds)
  File "lib/models.py", line 662, in set
    setting, created = Setting.get_or_create(name=setting_name, defaults=setting_dikt)
  File "/home/mrmime/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/peewee.py", line 4807, in get_or_create
    return cls.create(**params), True
  File "/home/mrmime/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/peewee.py", line 4776, in create
    inst.save(force_insert=True)
  File "/home/mrmime/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/playhouse/signals.py", line 69, in save
    ret = super(Model, self).save(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/mrmime/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/peewee.py", line 4982, in save
    pk_from_cursor = self.insert(**field_dict).execute()
  File "/home/mrmime/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/peewee.py", line 3435, in execute
    cursor = self._execute()
  File "/home/mrmime/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/peewee.py", line 2826, in _execute
    return self.database.execute_sql(sql, params, self.require_commit)
  File "/home/mrmime/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/peewee.py", line 3683, in execute_sql
    self.commit()
  File "/home/mrmime/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/peewee.py", line 3507, in __exit__
    reraise(new_type, new_type(*exc_args), traceback)
  File "/home/mrmime/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/peewee.py", line 3676, in execute_sql
    cursor.execute(sql, params or ())
peewee.OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

So I get this error when I try to run sentinel w/o sudo, seems to work okay with sudo however, in getting no response. MN is fully synced, but appears that crontab eventually fails, and I resort back to inactive status after a couple hours.. Any similar issues?

Got some assistance, likely I ran things as root, derp :/

Last edited:
I've been trying to figure out this problem for a couple of hours now - (I'm a relative linux noob so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious).

I've been trying to update my masternode to 12.1, but when I try to start the sentinel, I get:

> ~/dashcore/sentinel$ venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py
> -342: non-JSON HTTP response with '401 Unauthorized' from server
> Cannot connect to dashd. Please ensure dashd is running and the JSONRPC port is open to Sentinel.

My masternode is running off of vultr as the guide suggests.

I have tried:
* verifying that my rpcuser and rpcpassword in dash.conf do not have any special characters
* tried adding :9999 to the externalip in dash.conf.
* starting an entirely new ubuntu 14.04 instance and going through the setup from scratch, this still happens.

Also, I noticed in the step where you start the dash masternode in the guide (./dashd), if you don't specify the -daemon flag it will not give you back shell control, it just hangs.

I can verify that the dash server is running:

:~/dashcore$ ./dash-cli mnsync status
{
"AssetID": 999,
"AssetName": "MASTERNODE_SYNC_FINISHED",
"Attempt": 0,
"IsBlockchainSynced": true,
"IsMasternodeListSynced": true,
"IsWinnersListSynced": true,
"IsSynced": true,
"IsFailed": false
}

I am also using the default firewall specified in the guide. What am I missing here? Thanks for any help :)

@Janus, did you notice, that along with version 12.1, dashd configuration directory has changed from .dash to .dashcore? Make sure, that you modify .dashcore/dash.conf file, not the .dash/dash.conf.

Ok, I figured it out. That wasn't it exactly but I did make a mistake with the directory structure because I'm a linux noob.

Apparently my directory was named 'dashcore' and not '.dashcore' which are different :) Seems to be working now, thanks!

Masternodes in WATCHDOG_EXPIRED should be paid during migration period too. The issue most likely is caused by lack of connectivity (e.g. 12.1 mn is surrounded by 12.0 nodes only, which can't relay new messages).
Does dashd have an option similar to the banhammer that qt has? I monitor the peers list and give any 12.0 node a 1 week banhammer in qt...

Does dashd have an option similar to the banhammer that qt has? I monitor the peers list and give any 12.0 node a 1 week banhammer in qt...
Code:
help setban
Code:
setban "ip(/netmask)" "add|remove" (bantime) (absolute)

Attempts add or remove a IP/Subnet from the banned list.

Arguments:
1. "ip(/netmask)" (string, required) The IP/Subnet (see getpeerinfo for nodes ip) with a optional netmask (default is /32 = single ip)
2. "command"      (string, required) 'add' to add a IP/Subnet to the list, 'remove' to remove a IP/Subnet from the list
3. "bantime"      (numeric, optional) time in seconds how long (or until when if [absolute] is set) the ip is banned (0 or empty means using the default time of 24h which can also be overwritten by the -bantime startup argument)
4. "absolute"     (boolean, optional) If set, the bantime must be a absolute timestamp in seconds since epoch (Jan 1 1970 GMT)

Examples:

> dash-cli setban "192.168.0.6" "add" 86400
> dash-cli setban "192.168.0.0/24" "add"
> curl --user myusername --data-binary '{"jsonrpc": "1.0", "id":"curltest", "method": "setban", "params": ["192.168.0.6", "add" 86400] }' -H 'content-type: text/plain;' http://127.0.0.1:9998/

Hi guys. I had masternode set up on vultr till new version came up. There were some hardware requirments, minimun and recommended. So my question is: is that that minimal vultr server enough for masternode or do I need to rent bigger? And What about raspberry pi2?

Back