• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

TAO'S MASTERNODE SETUP GUIDE FOR DUMMIES (UPDATE GUIDE UPDATED FOR 13.0)

You're comfortable enough with the terminal interface to talk to your server? If not it's worth checking a few guides on the basics and playing around with it a bit, navigating directories, seeing what's in them, etc.

Log into the server and you'll be in your home folder and in there should be a hidden folder called .dash (note the . before the folder name, that hides it) and in that folder there should be the dash.conf file. You've already shown your masternode private key so just copy and paste the output of this command from the terminal window to here.

cat .dash/dash.conf

That command is short for Concatenate output should looks something like this if it's done according to Tao's guide...

rpcuser=RANDOMSTRINGOFLETTERSANDNUMBERS
rpcpassword=LONGERRANDOMSTRINGOFLETTERSANDNUMBERSHAVEFUN
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
addnode=23.23.186.131

...with the parts in caps changed to your settings, if the masternode private key in there matches your private key from your offline box and dash is running on the server (query it with something like "./dash-cli help") then you should be good to go.

EDIT: Just a point and I really don't mean to be rude, good security is very important and Tao's guide goes through just the simplest precaution, if it's proving difficult to follow then using a good hosting service would be a far safer option. There are several, Node40 has a good reputation but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for your help! And, the info i provided was changed before i entered it on here for security reasons,fyi. I have verified that both the keys match on the server and on the .conf file too. : (

Unfortunately, still not working. Suggestions?

Thanks for your help! And, the info i provided was changed before i entered it on here for security reasons,fyi. I have verified that both the keys match on the server and on the .conf file too. : (

Unfortunately, still not working. Suggestions?

Port 9999 is open on your server? I get out of my depth fast with network issues but you should be able to test the port with this:
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

That appears to be the issue. How do I make that port open?

I am now out of my depth... You still have ufw enabled on your server? I'd suggest disabling it temporarily and re-testing the port, I doubt that will be the problem but it crosses one thing off the list. Where is the server located, on a server farm or on a consumer connection? (residential, business, etc.) I've had ports blocked by my home ISP without warning or notification and there seemed to be a phase of them blocking port 8888 (Bitcoin) but a hosted server should be ok.

I am now out of my depth... You still have ufw enabled on your server? I'd suggest disabling it temporarily and re-testing the port, I doubt that will be the problem but it crosses one thing off the list. Where is the server located, on a server farm or on a consumer connection? (residential, business, etc.) I've had ports blocked by my home ISP without warning or notification and there seemed to be a phase of them blocking port 8888 (Bitcoin) but a hosted server should be ok.

We can cross the ufw as being the issue off the list. Disabled and rechecked and i still get invalid remote address. It's in a VPS within the US. I'm going to contact the VPS provider and see if they have an answer here, but if you or anybody else has any other suggestions, please share. Thanks again!

That's the correct ip above? It's showing up as blocked here too but I'm surprised your VPS provider has blocked it. They don't have anything like firewall tools on their management page for it? If they charge by the minute it could be worth creating another VPS with them and testing the ports on that straight out of the box, so long as they don't make images with a firewall pre-configured 9999 should be open.

That's the correct ip above? It's showing up as blocked here too but I'm surprised your VPS provider has blocked it. They don't have anything like firewall tools on their management page for it? If they charge by the minute it could be worth creating another VPS with them and testing the ports on that straight out of the box, so long as they don't make images with a firewall pre-configured 9999 should be open.
I just went through and re-entered all of the firewall loading on the server and rechecked. Now it shows that port 9999 is open on that server.

Unfortunately, i'm still getting the same error message with the masternode start alias MN1 command.

That ip is still showing up as closed here. Idk, maybe try turning it off and turning it back on again, reboot both the server and the offline box, give 'em time to be sure everything is up to date and try starting again :/

EDIT: I forgot to mention Moo's scripts (one of the devs), details on using them are listed in this masternode howto:
https://status.bolehvpn.net/2016/02/07/what-is-a-dash-masternode-and-how-do-i-set-up-one/
They make it much easier to administer and automatically handle things like restarting the daemon if it goes down.

Last edited:
That ip is still showing up as closed here. Idk, maybe try turning it off and turning it back on again, reboot both the server and the offline box, give 'em time to be sure everything is up to date and try starting again :/

EDIT: I forgot to mention Moo's scripts (one of the devs), details on using them are listed in this masternode howto:
https://status.bolehvpn.net/2016/02/07/what-is-a-dash-masternode-and-how-do-i-set-up-one/
They make it much easier to administer and automatically handle things like restarting the daemon if it goes down.

This is the actual IP: 45.76.26.190 Try that. It seems to be working.

Can anybody please let me know what the status "WATCHDOG_EXPIRED" means?

Thank you,
It means your node have not yet seen proper "watchdog" message (which is triggered by Sentinel) from the masternode in WATCHDOG_EXPIRED state. While in migrations period it's ok to see this for all 12.0 masternodes (they don't have one) and for some 12.1 masternodes (due to connectivity issues - 12.1 masternode could be surrounded by 12.0 nodes only which do not recognize this message and do not relay it).

I have the same problem. Running 2 MN on 1 Server with 2 different IP's on VULTR (15GB SSD, 1 CPU 768MB Memory 1000GB Bandwidth).
On my local PC it showed ENABLED first but after a while is the status WATCHDOG_EXPIRED.
Also on dashninja.pl it was 100% active but now it shows the status Inactive(0%).

But if I look on Server, both 2 dash demons are running.
ps ax| grep dashd
22216 ? SLsl 0:51 ./dashd
22271 ? SLsl 0:57 ./dashd

Also staus shows
./dash-cli mnsync status
{
"AssetID": 999,
"AssetName": "MASTERNODE_SYNC_FINISHED",
"Attempt": 0,
"IsBlockchainSynced": true,
"IsMasternodeListSynced": true,
"IsWinnersListSynced": true,
"IsSynced": true,
"IsFailed": false
}

So should I not care about it in migration period? Or is something wrong with it please?

Last edited:
I have the same problem. Running 2 MN on 1 Server with 2 different IP's on VULTR (15GB SSD, 1 CPU 768MB Memory 1000GB Bandwidth).
On my local PC it showed ENABLED first but after a while is the status WATCHDOG_EXPIRED.
Also on dashninja.pl it was 100% active but now it shows the status Inactive(0%).

But if I look on Server, both 2 dasd demons are running.
ps ax| grep dashd

Also staus shows
./dash-cli mnsync status
{
}

So should I not care about it in migration period? Or is something wrong with it please?

What's the output of "dash-cli masternode status", same for both? Check for special characters in the RPC settings in dash.conf (RPC user and pass), that's caused trouble for some. looks like then need alphanumeric only.

But if I look on Server, both 2 dash demons are running.
ps ax| grep dashd

Also staus shows
./dash-cli mnsync status
{
}

Masternodes in WATCHDOG_EXPIRED should be paid during migration period too. The issue most likely is caused by lack of connectivity (e.g. 12.1 mn is surrounded by 12.0 nodes only, which can't relay new messages).

What's the output of "dash-cli masternode status", same for both? Check for special characters in the RPC settings in dash.conf (RPC user and pass), that's caused trouble for some. looks like then need alphanumeric only.

dash-cli masternode status
{
"status": "Masternode successfully started"
}

..both OK

The dash.conf worked fine for me in 12.0.58.
I just copied it and changed in it:
masternodeaddr=111.111.111.111:9999 to externalip=111.111.111.111 without 9999,
all other remained the same.

Masternodes in WATCHDOG_EXPIRED should be paid during migration period too. The issue most likely is caused by lack of connectivity (e.g. 12.1 mn is surrounded by 12.0 nodes only, which can't relay new messages).

Thanks for Info

When I look peers on my local PC there are more 12.1 MN's surrounded then 12.0 MN's.

How can I display peers in console on the Server please?

Back