• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Syncing and reindexing stuck with Dash Core v0.12.1.0 (Mac)

emanresu4

Hi everyone,

For the last few months my Dash Core client [v0.12.1.0 (Mac) 64-bit] was not syncing with the blockchain, so a few weeks ago I tried to re-index the blocks on disks, thinking that might help. Unfortunately, re-indexing got stuck at height 905462 (see attached log file).

One complication is that although I thought I had kept my password safe, I for the life of me cannot find my wallet passphrase. So deleting everything and re-installing the client is likely not an option (unless I'm wrong?). I was about to use this guide to install client v12.1 (dashpay dot atlassian dot net/wiki/spaces/DOC/pages/103911601/Updating+to+12.1+-+Users) but am afraid that I will have to enter my passphrase if I do that.

How do you recommend that I proceed? I am trying to move the Dash from this current computer in order to wipe and give the computer as a gift. Any help would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• Dash log last 5k lines.txt
    637.6 KB · Views: 117
Hi there!

Dash is currently at version 0.12.3. Because the consensus rules of the blockchain have changed (twice!) since 0.12.1, your old client can no longer synchronise, because it doesn't recognise the newer blocks as valid. All you need to do is upgrade to the latest version, and everything should work again: www.dash.org/wallets

Dash Core only introduced experimental support for HD wallets in 0.12.2, so it is not possible to have a recovery passphrase for older versions. If you still have your password, it is probably easiest to just create a new wallet on your new PC and send the Dash there. You could also copy the wallet.dat file over (if you still have the password). If you don't have the password, then you have much bigger problems...

Documentation: https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/wallets/dashcore/backup.html

Thanks strophy.

I don't think that I have the password to the wallet.dat file, at least not written (I know...). Will I be prompted for the password after upgrading to the latest version?

No, you only need the password when you try and do an operation involving private keys, like sending Dash somewhere. I recommend you make a new wallet and try to send some Dash back and forward, you will find out pretty quickly if you have/need a password :)

You can also look in the bottom left corner of the window for the status icons - if there is a lock, you are using a password. If you can't see a lock, then there is no password on the wallet.

https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/wallets/dashcore/interface.html#the-status-icons

Back