• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Survey: Implementation of tracking and analytical tools to Dash apps and websites (yes or no)

What's your position?

• Implementation of tracking and analytical tools to Dash apps and websites is useful

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Implementation of tracking and analytical tools to Dash apps and websites is harmful

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I think that the topic needs more discussion and Dash Core has to elaborate their position

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

MaxPopov

Hi guys,

Our team (working on this and this proposals) met some technical barriers in terms of analytics and tracking of the results of the campaigns. The problem is that because of anonymity concern Dash doesn't have any tracking instruments in apps and websites even though there are plenty of privacy respectful options in the market.

This situation leads to the fact that teams don't know what actions and campaigns lead to the results. Also, marketing teams are forced to build their own landing-pages and sites where they can implement analytical instruments while driving the campaigns. If Dash apps and official websites have tracking tools we would be able to drive users right to it.

Another example: we publish PR-article in media. In the end of an article we give a link to dash.org and iOs/Android apps. To know how well it performed we need to answer following question: "How many users were redirected through these links"? But the answer is that we have no idea because we don't track it on Dash's side.

Therefore, we wrote a letter to Dash Core:

-------------------------------------------------
"Hi guys,

I'd like to raise the question of mobile tracker (AppsFlyer.com or Branch.io) implementation in Dash apps again.

We discussed this topic with you a couple of times, but as you remember a solution was not found. However, I am sure that implementation of a mobile tracker in both iOs and Android apps in case of Dash is worth to do. I am aware of privacy concern, but I think it can be effectively handled.

Please, consider that both of these companies have well established reputation, provide paid services (don't make money on data collection), have clear GDPR policy and work with huge brands such as SkyScanner, Gett, Strava, AirBnb and many more.
https://branch.io/resources/#case-studies
https://www.appsflyer.com/mobile-app-marketing-success-stories/

Implementation of a mobile tracker will allow marketing teams to effectively acquire users with a clear understanding of what's working and what's not. It will decrease cost of app install and give Dash core marketing team audience insights. However, please, remember that all data collected there is hashed and depersonalised and can not be used to harm Dash holders.

If you generally agree, but have concerns about community's reaction to this decision, we can publish a proposal regarding this topic.

What do you think about this? Please, send me your questions and objections.
Thank you!"

-------------------------------------------------

The answer was that "from a business development side, the below still isn’t a direction that we’re looking to pursue".

My position is that if we have a will then we can find a solution which will respect our privacy policy and be an effective analytical instrument in the same time. Therefore, my question is what's the position of the community on this. Do we need tracking instruments or not? Do we need additional discussion and explanation of Dash Core's position on this or you generally agree with Dash Core and it's better not to waste their time on this?

Thank you in advance!

Hi @fernando,
What is your opinion (ideas) about it?
We have discussed internally and there are mixed opinions. Obviously, I would love the information, but the privacy concerns are there. I know that the options that @MaxPopov suggest are well known and respectable, but I trust nobody. A problem in their software could eventually lead to problems for our users.

I would love to hear more opinions. As I said, we have discussed internally because we really need more information than what we have now, but we are very hesitant to do anything like this. In any case, I think it should be optional and totally transparent (the app should give you the option to send anonymized data to help improve Dash), but even that could be too much for many people.

My 2 cents: trackers are evil :p
And as workaround: Make all external links on your web-site like: https://www.example.com/goto/www.dash.org/wallets (which have redirect and your own tracking code) instead of direct links to https://www.dash.org/wallets.
Pretty soon we'll start to increase our work with the community on the dash website analytics so everyone can understand how their actions are performing on a deeper level. Some people, including @MaxPopov, have requested data in the past. Some we could provide and some not. Our analytics platform was giving us some trouble and we were quite short on resources. We just started to use another analytics tool and have some more capacity, so this should help in that direction. Of course, working together is completely voluntary and options like the one you suggest to track click through are completely fine.

Back