• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Support for X11 mining available in yam M8a miner

yvg1900

yam M8a released, it supports faster X11 CPU mining (reaching up to 1 MH/s on i7 4770 CPUs).

Builds for 32- and 64-bit Windows, Linux and FreeBSD available, as well as 64-bit MacOS X.

Download links can be found in yvg1900 Twitter.

It depends very much on CPU you have. yam is NOT a GPU miner, it is CPU only miner.

Tbh I have no idea of which kind of hashrate and power consumption you are getting on your GPU, so it is hard to compare. Best thing is to try it out and post results here - I can check if it is possible to imporve performance on your particular system if you post your test results and more detailed specs of your machine.

Trying it out right now, getting 368.7 KH/s with 2 threads on an i-5 3570 CPU. I've allotted 2048 memory, ( I have 16 gigs). I'm getting about 2020.0 KH/s from ccminer with Geforce GTX 760.

Do you think I can up to 3 threads? Leave last for GPU?

EDIT:

Dashboard has diff values though. I changed settings to fix the 1033 error and it looks like all hashing is higher. Well according to Dash:

GPU: 2,918.0 KH/s
CPU: 498.0 KH/s

Why does the command prompt have different values than my dashboard? Which do you trust...?

Last edited by a moderator:
For your CPU - if mining alone - I recommend 4 threads and 512 Mb memory per thread (m=512).

If you want to run GPU+CPU then I recommend running 3 threads for CPU.

Dashboard valued measured by actual shares submitted and calculated entirely different way from miner. Miner values (at least as measured by yam) take into account connection time, downtime and other "leaks" of hashpower (delays of getting new work, etc).

Post miner status output line from yam and I will "decipher" (explain) it for you in details.

At work right now, I'll be sure to post it later this evening.

As for setting memory management, I was having issues.

On an AMD FX3100 6 core CPU with 8 Gb of Ram:

threads = 6
mining-params = drk:av=0&m=3072

Output:

Target OK
Checking mining params [drk:av=0&m=3072]...
Error: Parameter [m] not supported for DarkCoin

EDIT: I should add that I had to use YAM-BDV1 for the Bulldozer Architecture to get YAM working.

Ah, sorry, I misled you in regard to m parameter - it is not relevant for X11 mining and not supported. Memory requirements for X11 mining in yam are really minimalistic.

And are you sure your CPU is FX3100, not FX8100? bdver1 is correct for FX8100.

For machines with Windows 7 64-bit and 8 Gb RAM or more consider enabling HugePages (if you are not on Win7 Home Edition)

Also consider running CPU-specific config with core pinning - there is example for i7 4770. All you need is 1:1 core pinning for this CPU (you can use config from 4770, just remove threads parameter from it and specify threads=6 in your main config)

yvg1900, post: 41580, member: 2417"]For machines with Windows 7 64-bit and 8 Gb RAM or more consider enabling HugePages (if you are not on Win7 Home Edition)

As per the txt file:

You will have to assign the "Lock pages in memory" privilege to any user that runs your application. This includes administrators

Select Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy
Select Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment
Double click "Lock pages in memory", add users and/or groups
Reboot the machine

On Windows Vista you need also make sure that the application is run as Administrator (by right-clicking on the application or the shell and choosing "Run as adminstrator").

In addition, it helps to have a freshly booted machine since the large pages can "run out" due to fragmentation of the heap.

Alternatively, you can reach Local Security Policy by "start secpol.msc".

The only way this works is if I run a command prompt as administrator. Weirdly, the I-5 using YAM for Ivy bridge has no issues when I create a .bat file to start mining, however, the FX 6100 will not start with a .bat file. I'm forced to create a command prompt as an administrator, type to the directory and run my yam.exe -c conf.cfg.

It's a bit strange. Thought you should know. Also, is there a way to force administrator command prompt in .bat?

Both systems are Win 8.1

Yeah, strange issue. I have no problems with running from .bat file on Win7, will try on Win8.1 later, but sounds like this is OS config-specific. BTW are your user accounts participate in Administrators group on both machines? If not, it may explain the issue...

Here's a big question, where is the source code for this project? There's a thread from 2013 about a connection being periodically made between the user and Germany. I would like to see the source of YAM.

yam miner is closed source. It is maintained by me for already long time, post on periodic connection relates to ypool.net and developer donations clearly explained in readme.txt.

Thank you Splawik :).
I'll try the software.
Have you a good pool to advise me ?

<edit :
Splawik, your link is for the full wallet.
I've found the good link (CPUMiner mod by yvg1900).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back