• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Sub-Ether's thought of the day

Sub-Ether

Hello there.
Yesterday, I was trying to explain as best I could to a friend about how Evan has proposed to streamline the blockchain so that the transaction history in the blocks can have a shortened path.
A to B to C to D
now becomes only initial sender A to the final destination D.

I realized when I was saying this that effectively most of the transaction information is going to be scrubbed from the blockchain forever, presumably the streamlining would occur mid chain, from going live (although an entire chain re-upload and compression may be possible?)
In the above example only 33% of the information remains as there are 3 transactions in total hence 66% of the information is already missing for de-anonymization purposes.

If this is the case, then isn't the conclusion that it becomes impossible to de-anonymize much of the blockchain even before coin mixing has been begun, as the information to effectively find the middle man has been erased forever.
This, I would have thought can be the ultimate anonymization tool because how do you undo an erasure, the information no longer exists ?!

It's my understanding that the pruned blockchain version is optional, and there will always be a full blockchain available.

It's my understanding that the pruned blockchain version is optional, and there will always be a full blockchain available.

Is it the case that evidence of transactions must be left in?
What happens to the transactions id's in the explorer for example if that transaction has completely disappeared..

I don't think it's correct to say that the transaction history is scrubbed from the Blockchain forever. I'm not technical, but I'm sure I heard an interview on YouTube, I think it was lets talk Bitcoin, Fernando and Evan were both on it. Evan explained what you are asking about in specific detail. Hope the helps.

What happens to the transactions id's in the explorer for example if that transaction has completely disappeared..
Good question. I don't know, but I know that there will always be a full blockchain in things like Masternodes, for example. As far as what happens in the pruned blockchain, a Dev would be better to answer that question...

I don't think it's correct to say that the transaction history is scrubbed from the Blockchain forever. I'm not technical, but I'm sure I heard an interview on YouTube, I think it was lets talk Bitcoin, Fernando and Evan were both on it. Evan explained what you are asking about in specific detail. Hope the helps.
Yes, I might listen to that again :cool:

What TaoOfSatoshi says is correct. This feature would be optional. Masternodes would host the full blockchain and would also produce de abbreviated version. Some services, like a blockchain explorer, would choose to use the full blockchain, but a normal user would be able to opt for the lighter one because he just needs to be able to validate that certain address has the amount he says he has, not the full history.

I think you mean this show:
https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/po...owards-privacy-or-many-hands-makes-light-work

It is only Evan, I was not present in this one. The blockchain pruning idea is near the end.

Back