• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Static IP address

TR4L

Is there any way around not having a static IP? It seems expensive (Xfinity requires a business account that costs >$300/month). Are there alternative solutions? I really want to get this up and running but have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm trying to do research to make sure I get it right. (already lost 8BTC when I bought the 1000 DRK coin at a higher price, so I want to try and make my money back somehow.) PLEASE HELP!

Is there any way around not having a static IP?

No. That's how the whole system works. Imagine you hand out business cards to your partners with your phone number. Every partner knows you by this number and you assured them you are reachable. If you change your phone number every day, your business partners will not be able to reach you.

Are there alternative solutions? I really want to get this up and running but have no idea what I'm doing

As the forum title says: "Make sure you know what you're doing!".
Masternodes are typically run at a dedicated location, like the majority of services you encounter on the internet.
You can rent a server and set up the masternode on it. Sounds simple, but I highly recommend that you know how to work with servers in regards to maintenance, security, etc. That requires knowledge about network infrastructures, operating systems and so on.
If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Sure, everyone can rent a server for a few dollars a month, but your system may get compromised if you don't do it right. It's like buying the tools for a brain surgery and performing one without any medical knowledge except for the things you pick up while watching some seasons of Emergency Room.

Mmmm Brain Surgery.

You don't need a static ip for your home connection but you do need one for a remote server. It's highly recommended to have a remote/local setup as well if you are considering running a MN.

There are a few people who will set one up for you like yidakee but personally I recommend learning how to do it yourself.

Is there any way around not having a static IP? It seems expensive (Xfinity requires a business account that costs >$300/month). Are there alternative solutions? I really want to get this up and running but have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm trying to do research to make sure I get it right. (already lost 8BTC when I bought the 1000 DRK coin at a higher price, so I want to try and make my money back somehow.) PLEASE HELP!
If you haven't sold the DRK for a lower price than you bought them you have not lost anything ;)

That being said, the fact you're even looking at getting a static IP for your home connection in order to run a masternode tells me you have no idea what you're doing. I say that as a matter of fact, not in judgement, or with any condescension. I would say at the moment only a fraction of a percent of people have the technical ability to actually run a masternode successfully. A slightly larger percent of the general population has the ability to successfully follow a step by step guide to set one up. So having no idea what you're doing would apply to 99% of the world.

Now I would like to help you get to a path where you at least at a minimum have somewhat of a vague understanding of what you are doing, but I really am not quite sure what to tell you.

As for your actual question, the answer is masternodes are servers, and are meant to be hosted on a server, not on your personal computer. There are a whole host of reasons why you absolutely should not host a masternode on a residential connection, the static IP (or lack thereof) is pretty much at the bottom of that least of reasons. Even if you are running an actual server at your home and not your personal computer, it still is a terrible decision. So please just trust me when I say that is not something you even want to consider.

So what kind of host do you need? You need to rent a VPS or dedicated server. A VPS essentially is where you rent a portion of a very large server, and because of the way pricing works and economies of scale, you can get the same resources of a given dedicated server for a fraction of the price. (There is a breakeven where it becomes cheaper to rent the dedicated server with the way most companies pricing scales, but that isn't applicable to running a masternode)

Now to be very specific on what you actually need? Here are some comparable options that all would be fine and more than capable to run a masternode on:

Linode 1 GB ($10 / month) <---- my recommendation for those running a single node
Digital Ocean 512 mb droplet ($5 / month)
Vultr 768 mb node ($5 / month)

What you may be recommended to purchase but I would very vocally tell you to avoid UNLESS the person making the recommendation is the one setting up the server for you, then go with whatever they say:
AWS - There are way too many gotchas and ways you can end up fucking things up as an absolute beginner, I can't in good conscience recommend them for an absolute beginner to run a production service on that is worth a significant amount of money - like a masternode. (Though I absolutely would recommend them to any beginner looking to learn more about web servers, hosting, networking, etc, because they offer more customization - and force you to do some of it (aka learn!) in order to get your server working)

So now I really have no idea if I've helped you or just confused you more due to my rambling. If the later, you really need to hire someone to create your node for you, you will save many hours of frustration, or god forbid end up losing the 1000 dark because of a mistake you made in the process.

It's like buying the tools for a brain surgery and performing one without any medical knowledge except for the things you pick up while watching some seasons of Emergency Room.
I'm sorry dude, but I think you're completely full of it. Your analogy is ridiculous and I wont let people like you stop me from learning and doing what I want to do.

If you haven't sold the DRK for a lower price than you bought them you have not lost anything ;)
I kinda did because I could have bought at the current price instead of buying it at the high price point that I did (.0101 and .025)

That being said, the fact you're even looking at getting a static IP for your home connection in order to run a masternode tells me you have no idea what you're doing.
No offense taken, this is indeed a fact.

Now I would like to help you get to a path where you at least at a minimum have somewhat of a vague understanding of what you are doing, but I really am not quite sure what to tell you.

As for your actual question, the answer is masternodes are servers, and are meant to be hosted on a server, not on your personal computer. There are a whole host of reasons why you absolutely should not host a masternode on a residential connection, the static IP (or lack thereof) is pretty much at the bottom of that least of reasons. Even if you are running an actual server at your home and not your personal computer, it still is a terrible decision. So please just trust me when I say that is not something you even want to consider.

So what kind of host do you need? You need to rent a VPS or dedicated server. A VPS essentially is where you rent a portion of a very large server, and because of the way pricing works and economies of scale, you can get the same resources of a given dedicated server for a fraction of the price. (There is a breakeven where it becomes cheaper to rent the dedicated server with the way most companies pricing scales, but that isn't applicable to running a masternode)

Now to be very specific on what you actually need? Here are some comparable options that all would be fine and more than capable to run a masternode on:

Linode 1 GB ($10 / month) <---- my recommendation for those running a single node
Digital Ocean 512 mb droplet ($5 / month)
Vultr 768 mb node ($5 / month)

What you may be recommended to purchase but I would very vocally tell you to avoid UNLESS the person making the recommendation is the one setting up the server for you, then go with whatever they say:
AWS - There are way too many gotchas and ways you can end up fucking things up as an absolute beginner, I can't in good conscience recommend them for an absolute beginner to run a production service on that is worth a significant amount of money - like a masternode. (Though I absolutely would recommend them to any beginner looking to learn more about web servers, hosting, networking, etc, because they offer more customization - and force you to do some of it (aka learn!) in order to get your server working)
I understand what you're saying. Currently, I am learning how to code and have plans on building my own server and maintaining it with a buddy of mine, so I definitely want to learn how to do this and get this going. I can't imagine this being an impossible task (even for a beginner).

So now I really have no idea if I've helped you or just confused you more due to my rambling. If the later, you really need to hire someone to create your node for you, you will save many hours of frustration, or god forbid end up losing the 1000 dark because of a mistake you made in the process.
You have indeed helped me. Initially, I didn't realize that a masternode was actually a server so now I have something to work with. Plus, my cousin actually works on servers and knows a lot about them, I'm pretty sure he'll help me. Thanks for the info

I'm sorry dude, but I think you're completely full of it. Your analogy is ridiculous and I wont let people like you stop me from learning and doing what I want to do.

You can do whatever you want. I'm just telling you to get rid of the idea if you have no clue. I have told you that you need a specific set of skills if you want to host and maintain a server. I haven't told you that you can't learn how to do it. But acting with precipitation and setting up a host without any basic knowledge is just irresponsible. That's what I wanted to tell you. Just setting up a masternode without prior knowledge may lead to disaster. That's the quintessence. Don't be butthurt.

You dont need a static IP address, if you want to run a masternode at home, you should be able to do this with your local ip address.

But as soon as your address changes you just have to stop the darkcoind, regenerate masternodeprivkey and add the new external address to your config file. restart. profit. (Dont pay $300/month, yet!)

You dont need a static IP address, if you want to run a masternode at home, you should be able to do this with your local ip address.

But as soon as your address changes you just have to stop the darkcoind, regenerate masternodeprivkey and add the new external address to your config file. restart. profit. (Dont pay $300/month, yet!)
Do you only have to regenerate the masternodeprivkey? Or do you need to create a new address with 1000 DRK in it too?

Do you only have to regenerate the masternodeprivkey? Or do you need to create a new address with 1000 DRK in it too?
You dont even have to change the privkey as far as I know. Just restart the masternode with the new IP in config.

Back