• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

spam

Lzeppelin

I seriously don't understand spam, isn't it a waste of effort to create a throw away email address, break a captcha and register on a forum just to post a few posts that will get deleted within hours with links no sane person would even click? I know they have bots so the effort is minimal but still you have to pay for an internet connection, etc. Can someone explain to me why this is even a thing?

There's parts of the world where if you can make a few hundo a month spamming full time you're making a good living. Economics.
Yup, as long as there is someone ignorant enough as to pay for those kind of links, there will be someone willing to pay for them. And there is plenty of people clueless about how the internet works that are willing to pay. There was a guy who posted a thread in this forum saying happily that he had paid for several thousands of "quality links" to darkcointalk...

Yup, as long as there is someone ignorant enough as to pay for those kind of links, there will be someone willing to pay for them. And there is plenty of people clueless about how the internet works that are willing to pay.
Exactly.

Lzeppelin, google for "Why the ‘Nigerian Prince’ scam is so stupid and yet so successful". You might find that interesting.

Totally worth it if you are a kid in some rural town in Eastern Europe with an OK internet connection but a dead non-economy.

Back