• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Sgminer HW Errors (AMD GPU on Ubuntu 64-bit)

GreenRaccoon23

This is a Linux issue trying to set up and mine with a new GPU.

I recently put in an AMD Radeon HD7970 GPU in my desktop. Previously, I was running lasybear's sgminer on an AMD Kaveri A10-7850K APU. I was getting about 580 khash/s with that APU.

Sgminer doesn't work with the new GPU installed. If I put my intensity over 16, I get the dreaded "GPU 0: invalid nonce: HW error". If I put the intensity to 16 or below, I get 100% rejected shares. I've tried switching my thread-concurrency between 4096 and 8192, and I've also tried taking off all of the parameters but "-o", "-u", "-p", and "-I". Also, when the shares are being rejected, the GPU is only running 350-400 khash/s.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit, and I'm 99% sure it's a driver problem. I've spent hours trying to figure this out. I've installed version 2.7 of the APP SDK, which is recommended for 7970 GPU's.

I've tried using the fglrx and fglrx-updates drivers in Ubuntu's "Additional Drivers" settings. They install fine, but sgminer has problems with them. I've also tried installing the Catalyst drivers directly from AMD's website. The 14.04 driver installed great but still had the sgminer problems. 12.8 wouldn't install because it was whining that there was no "/lib/modules/3.13.0-30-generic/build/include/linux/version.h" file. 12.6 wouldn't even download (Come on, AMD...). 12.4 installs great, but when I reboot the computer, I can't go to the desktop. As soon as I login, the xserver crashes and takes me back to the login menu.

After searching through a bunch of online forums, the AMD drivers most people recommend for sgminer are 12.4 and 12.8. Neither of these are working for me.

Whenever I install any of these drivers, I make sure that I run these commands:
Code:
sudo aticonfig --adapters=all --initial
export DISPLAY=:0
sudo reboot

Anyone have some direction for me?

-----EDIT-----

From the original post, it looks like people are having luck with the 14.6 Beta Catalyst driver. I never would've thought the beta driver would work better. :what: I'll give that a try later.

I love Darkcoin, btw. Bitcoin's awesome, but it has a couple flaws that Darkcoin works out. Yeah, right now Bitcoin is way more popular, and the trend is for companies to adopt Bitcoin, but honestly, as more people learn about Darkcoin, they're going to choose it over Bitcoin. No one wants everyone to see where their money is going. I'm betting my money on Darkcoin, literally. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the drivers are driving me mad in linux. Mind sharing your config or command line before we dig into driver issues (just in case :)...

I use "sudo nano darkcoin.sh" to make the config file. It looks like this:
Code:
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
sgminer -k x11mod -o * -u * -p * --auto-fan --auto-gpu --gpu-fan 25-80 --temp-target 70 --gpu-engine 750-1100 --gpu-memclock 850 --gpu-threads 2 --thread-concurrency 8192 -I 16

Hey thanks fusecavator! Now my hashrate is about 5Mh/s. But I'm still getting all rejected shares.

-----EDIT-----

I fixed it. Now my shares are being accepted.I misread the README file. I thought it said that the nist5 kernel was an improvement on the x11mod kernel, but it's not. Using the wrong kernel definitely would give me rejected shares haha.

Thanks again for your help, guys. That was fast!

I fixed it. Now my shares are being accepted.I misread the README file. I thought it said that the nist5 kernel was an improvement on the x11mod kernel, but it's not. Using the wrong kernel definitely would give me rejected shares haha.
So which kernel are you using finally? x11mod or darkcoin? Got to fix my sgminer too.

So which kernel are you using finally? x11mod or darkcoin? Got to fix my sgminer too.
I'm using the x11mod kernel. I didn't even know there WAS a "darkcoin" kernel, but hey look, there is! I haven't tried it out, but I'm guessing that the x11mod will work better. So in the command line, I'm using "-k x11mod."

I'll give you my full config for djm's sgminer just cause I'm that nice. :grin:
Code:
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
sgminer -k x11mod -o * -u * -p * --auto-fan --auto-gpu --gpu-fan 25-80 --temp-target 75 --gpu-memclock 850 --thread-concurrency 10600 -I 25

Back