• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Restore Breadwallet-Dash funds to your Electrum-Dash Wallet (tested)

nmarley

Administrator
Dash Core Group
You can technically use your Breadwallet-Dash seed with Electrum-Dash for whatever reason (maybe Breadwallet stops working?), but it requires just a bit of tinkering. Unfortunately, because Breadwallet uses deeper derivation paths than Electrum, you can't go the other way around (Electrum -> Breadwallet won't work).

You just have to get an "xprv" key from your Breadwallet-Dash seed, at the right depth, which is "m/0p". Then import that into Electrum-Dash.

1. Retrieving the correct Breadwallet-Dash "xprv" key:

This BIP39 page is a useful tool for manipulating/displaying BIP32/39 seed data. It has an "Offline Usage" section that you can follow if you're paranoid. To get started, go there and...
  1. Enter in your 12-word seed.
  2. Change "Number of Words" to 12.
  3. Leave Passphrase blank.
  4. Leave coin set to 'Bitcoin'.
  5. Under "Derivation Path", click the "BIP32" tab.
  6. Now in the "BIP32 Derivation Path" box, type: m/0' (That's not a typo.)
  7. Then copy the value in "BIP32 Extended Key".

2. Importing that "xprv" key into Electrum-Dash:
  1. Open "Electrum-Dash" and go to File->New/Restore.
  2. Use "Breadwallet", or whatever name you want for the wallet.
  3. In the next box, click "Restore a wallet or import keys".
  4. Leave the next option set to "Standard Wallet". Then click "next".
  5. Now paste in your value from "BIP32 Extended Key" above.
Electrum should detect your BreadWallet-Dash balance and you should now have complete access to your funds.

The Seed Mnemonic won't be available in Electrum(-Dash) now, but you will have full access to spend your funds. You will just need to re-follow the steps above if you want to restore your Electrum wallet from seed again, -OR- just send your old Breadwallet funds to a NEW Electrum-Dash wallet with the seed.

You can technically use your Breadwallet-Dash seed with Electrum-Dash for whatever reason (maybe Breadwallet stops working?), but it requires just a bit of tinkering. Unfortunately, because Breadwallet uses deeper derivation paths than Electrum, you can't go the other way around (Electrum -> Breadwallet won't work).

You just have to get an "xprv" key from your Breadwallet-Dash seed, at the right depth, which is "m/0p". Then import that into Electrum-Dash.

1. Retrieving the correct Breadwallet-Dash "xprv" key:

This BIP39 page is a useful tool for manipulating/displaying BIP32/39 seed data. It has an "Offline Usage" section that you can follow if you're paranoid. To get started, go there and...
  1. Enter in your 12-word seed.
  2. Change "Number of Words" to 12.
  3. Leave Passphrase blank.
  4. Leave coin set to 'Bitcoin'.
  5. Under "Derivation Path", click the "BIP32" tab.
  6. Now in the "BIP32 Derivation Path" box, type: m/0' (That's not a typo.)
  7. Then copy the value in "BIP32 Extended Key".

2. Importing that "xprv" key into Electrum-Dash:
  1. Open "Electrum-Dash" and go to File->New/Restore.
  2. Use "Breadwallet", or whatever name you want for the wallet.
  3. In the next box, click "Restore a wallet or import keys".
  4. Leave the next option set to "Standard Wallet". Then click "next".
  5. Now paste in your value from "BIP32 Extended Key" above.
Electrum should detect your BreadWallet-Dash balance and you should now have complete access to your funds.

The Seed Mnemonic won't be available in Electrum(-Dash) now, but you will have full access to spend your funds. You will just need to re-follow the steps above if you want to restore your Electrum wallet from seed again, -OR- just send your old Breadwallet funds to a NEW Electrum-Dash wallet with the seed.

Tx man
this is so good !! I thought it did not work
nice

Tx man
this is so good !! I thought it did not work
nice
It does, but takes a bit of knowledge/effort. Not as simple as I'd like it to be. (But it could if wallets were a little more configurable.)

sorry , me again
i am creating some Wiki pages with this
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Restore iPhone Dash funds to your Electrum-Dash Wallet

so i can use the same vice versa for Electrum - Breadwallet Dash ?!
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Electrum Wallet

tx
It only works starting with BreadWallet and moving to Electrum. The other way around won't work, because of the depth of the paths. Breadwallet uses a deeper path than Electrum.

It does, but takes a bit of knowledge/effort. Not as simple as I'd like it to be. (But it could if wallets were a little more configurable.)

It only works starting with BreadWallet and moving to Electrum. The other way around won't work, because of the depth of the paths. Breadwallet uses a deeper path than Electrum.

haaaaa interesting
man how fid you figure that one out ?!
(updated my links)

haaaaa interesting
man how fid you figure that one out ?!
(updated my links)
Looking into the different wallets, using them. Playing with them over months. I won't use a wallet where I can't manually re-generate the keys, which requires knowing the derivation paths for each.

Breadwallet uses m/0p/0/x, where x = each new address generated, (e.g. 1st, 2nd, etc). This was suggested in BIP0032.

Electrum just uses m/0/x. This wasn't really decided as a standard by anyone, that's just what ThomasV chose to use.

Hi @QuantumExplorer @akhavr I'm reviving an old thread here while trying to update documentation for this process. I think something has changed in the key derivation since 2016, and I am no longer able to successfully restore from an iOS recovery phrase from dashwallet 0.7.6 on Dash Electrum 3.0.6.3. Steps taken:
  1. Send Dash to iOS wallet and view recovery phrase
  2. Enter phrase in this tool
  3. Set coin to "Bitcoin"
  4. Select BIP32 under Derivation Path
  5. Specify m/0' derivation path
  6. Copy BIP32 xprv
  7. In Dash Electrum, File -> New/Restore
  8. Enter wallet name, click Next
  9. Choose Standard wallet, click Next
  10. Choose Use public or private keys, click Next
  11. Paste in xprv, click Next
  12. Enter password, click Next
  13. Dash balance does not appear...
I've tried specifying "Dash" as the coin and change the derivation paths without success. Looking back on GitHub, it seems this code has changed several times. What are the current correct settings, and what were some possibly correct previous settings for older versions of the iOS wallet?

Also, what is the current repository used to build the wallet? I came across the following releases:

https://github.com/QuantumExplorer/dashwallet - 0.5
https://github.com/dashpay/dashwallet - 0.6.4
My version (latest for iOS 9.x) - 0.7.6
Latest version on App Store - 0.8.13

Back