• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

reset options on dash core and recover from backup

DonCook

Hello, Dash community. I started using the Dash Core recently and got myself in trouble. I reset the options in the options menu of the wallet and restarted the app. I found out that it didn't just reset the options menu but reset the entire wallet, effectively wiping out all of my balances. The backup I found was a few days too old. I guess the wallet.dat file got overwritten by a new empty wallet and there is no way to get it back. I don't understand why the app allows to delete encrypted file without a password conformation. Looks like a security flaw. I think my dash is gone and threre is no way to get it back. But may be I'm wrong and there is a way to restore my wallet... If anyone knows how, please help.

PS: does the mac version of the Dash Core has a way of turning automated backups on? Looked through all the options multiple times but couldn't find it.

Last edited:
Hi @DonCook !

By default, Dash Core will create an automatic backup in the /backups folder each time it starts up. You can read about this function here: https://docs.dash.org/en/latest/wallets/dashcore/backup.html#automatic-backups

Clicking "Reset Options" in the Options dialog should not affect your balance - I just tested this and my balance remained the same. It will, however, prompt you again to specify the Dash data folder. If you do not choose the same folder as your previous wallet, it will in this case create a new wallet. Did you have a custom data folder for your previous installation?

Hi @strophy!

For some reason the backup function was off on my installation. When I ran out of the 1000 change addresses, I got prompted by the program, telling me that my automatic back option is off. Then DashCore made a backup, but it happened only once. After I reset the options, the backup function started working. I'm not sure, I understand what you mean by 'custom data folder'. How do I locate it? Are you talking about DashCore folder in the '~/Library/Application Support' directory? Is there something in that folder that can help me? I would be real happy to get my dash back.

Custom data folder means you did not use the default data folder - my thinking was that if you had that, it could explain why resetting all DashCore settings would cause it to not find your wallet file and balance.

I am indeed talking about "~/Library/Application Support/DashCore" - that folder should contain wallet.dat (hopefully with your balance) and another folder called "backups" - any files in here with a date before you reset your settings may also be useful in recovering the Dash.

Back