• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Request: A guide to create multiple wallets on the same computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bergstrom

Foundation Member
I would like to set up a masternode but I can´t jump over the first obstacle, having multiple wallets. I want to have a wallet to transfer as usual and the other as designated masternode wallets. Am I missing something, is there a guide somewhere?

Reactions: jpr
I keep swaping darkcoin.conf and wallet.dat :D
Would like to see a decent guide for ubuntu.

Yes I know that you can save your current wallet and save it in a folder and then replace it with an another but it seems complicated. Why isn´t possible to save the new wallet.dat in a different location?

Yes I know that you can save your current wallet and save it in a folder and then replace it with an another but it seems complicated. Why isn´t possible to save the new wallet.dat in a different location?
you don't have to replace it, just use -wallet command line option

In windows if I want two wallets to run at the same time, I create the Darkcoin folders in different directories, then create a shortcut for each folder, and in Target of each shortcut I put in "-listen=0".

In windows if I want two wallets to run at the same time, I create the Darkcoin folders in different directories, then create a shortcut for each folder, and in Target of each shortcut I put in "-listen=0".

This is too hard for me to comprehend. Could someone make a setup guide for dummies?

Bergstrom, Ok, so in windows the Darkcoin folder by default is stored in C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming... The directory is too long.. I'm making a quick guide here so this is what I've done:

Go to C:\ create a new folder, name it "MyDarkcoin1" and another folder, name it "MyDarkcoin2".
Assume you already have the darkcoin-qt.exe that you downloaded and stored somewhere on your computer.
Copy darkcoin-qt.exe and paste it in each folder.
Also create a sub-folder and name it "Darkcoin" for each of those folders, here's a screenshot:

upload_2015-2-18_12-39-39.png

upload_2015-2-18_12-52-31.png

A) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE FIRST FOLDER:

To make a shortcut: Right click on darkcoin-qt.exe and choose "Create Shortcut", then drag it to your desktop.
Rename this shortcut to "MyDarkcoin1".
Right click on this shortcut, choose "Properties" and open the shortcut.
In "Target", make sure you have this line: "C:\MyDarkcoin1\darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\MyDarkcoin1\Darkcoin -listen=0"
In "Start in", make sure you have: "C:\MyDarkcoin1"

Here's a screenshot of the shortcut properties:

upload_2015-2-18_12-42-44.png

B) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE SECOND FOLDER:

Repeat steps in A). Just make sure it's the second folder. In my case it's "MyDarkcoin2" folder.

C) RUN THE WALLETS:
Double-click on the shortcuts.
The darkcoin-qt.exe will create the blockchain in each folder.
You can run both wallets to sync at the same time, or you can run one wallet at a time, then copy and paste the "blocks" and "chainstate" from the first folder to the second folder. Make sure you copy and paste in the subfolder "Darkcoin" in the second folder.
I normally use Udjin's bootstrap to make the blockchain sync faster so you'll see the bootstrap.old in my first folder (which can be deleted):

upload_2015-2-18_12-57-8.png

And here a screenshot of my two wallets running on my computer:

upload_2015-2-18_13-2-0.png

I'm not sure how many wallets we can create on windows but I'm guessing as long as the memory on your computer can handle as many wallets as it can, go for it! :)

Bergstrom, Ok, so in windows the Darkcoin folder by default is stored in C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming... The directory is too long.. I'm making a quick guide here so this is what I've done:

Go to C:\ create a new folder, name it "MyDarkcoin1" and another folder, name it "MyDarkcoin2".
Assume you already have the darkcoin-qt.exe that you downloaded and stored somewhere on your computer.
Copy darkcoin-qt.exe and paste it in each folder.
Also create a sub-folder and name it "Darkcoin" for each of those folders, here's a screenshot:

View attachment 1019

View attachment 1021

A) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE FIRST FOLDER:

To make a shortcut: Right click on darkcoin-qt.exe and choose "Create Shortcut", then drag it to your desktop.
Rename this shortcut to "MyDarkcoin1".
Right click on this shortcut, choose "Properties" and open the shortcut.
In "Target", make sure you have this line: "C:\MyDarkcoin1\darkcoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\MyDarkcoin1\Darkcoin -listen=0"
In "Start in", make sure you have: "C:\MyDarkcoin1"

Here's a screenshot of the shortcut properties:

View attachment 1020

B) STEPS TO CREATE A SHORTCUT FOR THE SECOND FOLDER:

Repeat steps in A). Just make sure it's the second folder. In my case it's "MyDarkcoin2" folder.

C) RUN THE WALLETS:
Double-click on the shortcuts.
The darkcoin-qt.exe will create the blockchain in each folder.
You can run both wallets to sync at the same time, or you can run one wallet at a time, then copy and paste the "blocks" and "chainstate" from the first folder to the second folder. Make sure you copy and paste in the subfolder "Darkcoin" in the second folder.
I normally use Udjin's bootstrap to make the blockchain sync faster so you'll see the bootstrap.old in my first folder (which can be deleted):

View attachment 1022

And here a screenshot of my two wallets running on my computer:

View attachment 1023

I'm not sure how many wallets we can create on windows but I'm guessing as long as the memory on your computer can handle as many wallets as it can, go for it! :)

Please make this one a stickie!

I keep swaping darkcoin.conf and wallet.dat :D
Would like to see a decent guide for ubuntu.
I do the same but this steel me a lot of time.
I'd like to create the shortcuts which uses default datadir BUT uses different wallet.dat and darkcoin.conf which are placed on external memory stick or usb stick.
moli can you write here how it should look like??? Always in target??? eg. darkcoin-qt.exe -wallet=x:\mydrkfolder\wallet0001.dat -conf=x:\mydrkfolder\darkcoin0001.conf ???? asking if it is right?

I do the same but this steel me a lot of time.
I'd like to create the shortcuts which uses default datadir BUT uses different wallet.dat and darkcoin.conf which are placed on external memory stick or usb stick.
moli can you write here how it should look like??? Always in target??? eg. darkcoin-qt.exe -wallet=x:\mydrkfolder\wallet0001.dat -conf=x:\mydrkfolder\darkcoin0001.conf ???? asking if it is right?
Your wallet.dat is in a USB stick and not on your computer?

I'm not sure if it can be done or should be done like that. And I don't know how because I've never tried it.

EDIT: Someone made a post he lost many DRKs by running the wallet.dat from a live USB... So I don't think I would like that. :/
splawik21 , here's the post of the person who lost some DRK from using a live USB:
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/darksend-where-are-my-coins.3979/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back