• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Reddit User Claims Darkcoin has vulnerabilities

I recognize this guy, he's the Scary-Thread-Title-Troll.
He's been around for a while

He's fairly technical and always has dramatic and oh-so unlikely yet theoretically possible darkcoin issues, which he puts scary titles on and distracts the community to sort trough.

.....That or the dudes about to pwn all our darkcoins

Evan addressed on Reddit, however, it's limited because he was limited in what little information the OP was posting about.

InstantX has been on hold beginning with version 4 and we've been testing Darksend:
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/instantx-testing-v10-17.3083/page-23#post-31651

With version 8 Darksend is not doing anything so I guess another version will come out today.
Thanks for updating me. I cant keep up with the pace of the testing threads recently.

Anyways, here is a short statement by evan concerning this claims:

Resolved 4 DOS-style attacks (we'll see if I found all of them)

So I hope everyone can sleep well now :)

Thanks for updating me. I cant keep up with the pace of the testing threads recently.

Anyways, here is a short statement by evan concerning this claims:

So I hope everyone can sleep well now :)

The more pressing one isn't the DDOS but rather whether or not anonymity can be broken. There isn't enough information to say one way or the other--the OP certainly hasn't elaborated and without it, Evan has no way of answering.

The more pressing one isn't the DDOS but rather whether or not anonymity can be broken. There isn't enough information to say one way or the other--the OP certainly hasn't elaborated and without it, Evan has no way of answering.
It's strange he said he could deanonymize DS but didn't say how. Has he posted anymore anywhere else?

It's strange he said he could deanonymize DS but didn't say how. Has he posted anymore anywhere else?
Not that I am aware of. It's easy to make bold statements with nothing to back up. That isn't to say it's not possible, however, more details would need to be given.

I recognize this guy, he's the Scary-Thread-Title-Troll.
He's been around for a while

He's fairly technical and always has dramatic and oh-so unlikely yet theoretically possible darkcoin issues, which he puts scary titles on and distracts the community to sort trough.

.....That or the dudes about to pwn all our darkcoins
I rate him a zero mark on a 1 to 10 rating system, he'll have to do a lot better than that for real scares :(:)

I think he is a pro concerned troll working with the other guy BCX (or whatever) together !
it is great that evan replied to ensure the community , but we should
- not take any concern troll serious
- keep an eye on these guys (as they come in groups of 2-3 and tag team)
- keep your ground / do NOT get thrown off by these professionals !

I think he is a pro concerned troll working with the other guy BCX (or whatever) together !
it is great that evan replied to ensure the community , but we should
- not take any concern troll serious
- keep an eye on these guys (as they come in groups of 2-3 and tag team)
- keep your ground / do NOT get thrown off by these professionals !

Good call Tungfa!
They totally work in teams like you say, and i think theyre pro or at least getting paid like you mention.
Usually new profiles with no other posts as well. Oh, and theyre rude too!

Evan's response on reddit 22 hours ago:
First off, it's great to have people going through all of the new code. I thank you for really looking through it.

However, I'm not very surprized that there are ways to DOS darkcoin still, nor is that even a problem. We just open sourced a couple months ago and there's 10000+ lines of new code. Bitcoin was getting DOS'd for about four years after it's release and it took years to secure it. These types of attacks actually make the network stronger and more resistant to future attacks. DOS'ing the network just doesn't work for that long, the one attack you show could have been fixed on mainnet in a few hours.

If you want the community is very willing to pay for exploits and issues with the code. However, if you just attack the network with your information, you'll receive a lot less, or nothing at all.

The one thing I'm doubtful of is the anonymity issue. However, with the vagueness of your post, I can't really address what you're talking about.

I'm working on the next release that contains multiple DOS fixes and an anonymity improvement, if you can get me the rest of your list in the next 24 hours I'll help you get tips/donations for helping secure Darkcoin.
Has Evan got the rest of the list?

Is there a rest of any list?
I'm not sure. The guy claims he knows "3 ways to DOS Darksend" and revealed only 1, and claims he can "setup a "Darkcoin Deanonymizer" " so that's why Evan said "if you can get me the rest of your list in the next 24 hours I'll help you get tips/donations for helping secure Darkcoin." But if we don't hear about the rest of his "list" then there is none others? :smile:

I'm not sure. The guy claims he knows "3 ways to DOS Darksend" and revealed only 1, and claims he can "setup a "Darkcoin Deanonymizer" " so that's why Evan said "if you can get me the rest of your list in the next 24 hours I'll help you get tips/donations for helping secure Darkcoin." But if we don't hear about the rest of his "list" then there is none others? :smile:
Evan did find a few other potential DDOS vectors that he patched up based off the initial hint the OP posted. So who knows, maybe Evan found them all. Pretty douchy on the OP's part to not elaborate further. Wasn't his deanonymizer suppose to be released yesterday after "burning the midnight oil".

Back