• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Tao Community Coordinator

Ok. Fair enough. Let me clear up some misconceptions. The term "Community Lead" in this sense is being defined in the proposal. No where in my pitch did I say I wanted to be in control of the project. So that is not part of its scope. I will do exactly what I said in the post.
I have to quote myself:
...words are powerful and the way you put it can define the meaning which you just can't get rid of.
However English is not my native language so I maybe just get it wrong BUT the impression of (one) nation and (one) leader makes me uncomfortable if you know what I mean ;)

PS. I highly appreciate your efforts anyway :)

I have to quote myself:

However English is not my native language so I maybe just get it wrong BUT the impression of (one) nation and (one) leader makes me uncomfortable if you know what I mean ;)

PS. I highly appreciate your efforts anyway :)
Thanks, @UdjinM6! I really respect your opinion and I wanted to make it clear to you what my aspirations were with this.

I love Dash and will work tirelessly to gain everyone's appreciation. As far as the Nation goes, if people don't want me to pursue that angle (although successful), I will abide by that decision. When you're a blockchain employee, you have to listen to the blockchain... ;)

Thank you @TaoOfSatoshi for ramping up your efforts even more than before!

Here are my thoughts:

I've been reading through this thread, and the main issue I am seeing is the question of whether or not the role you are describing is necessary. And I would answer that question with a definite "yes". Think about it. This project is already technically far superior to Bitcoin and many other cryptocurrencies. And our share of the crypto space is much smaller than I would expect it to be if we are judging by technical merit alone. This project needs people, more than anything else, to succeed. People who understand and are enthusiastic about DASH, people who are willing to do things on their own to help the project, people who are willing to accept DASH as payment, people who are going to ask other stores/merchants if they might accept Dash. We can spend thousands of dollars on ads to try and expose people to DASH, but what happens when they get here? If there is not a vibrant community AND a good relationship fostered between various groups within the project, they are going to leave, they will be less likely to invest, and we are going to miss out on quite a lot of talent.

Tao has shown that while sometimes surrounded by flamethrowers on both sides, he is able to maintain a level-headed demeanor here on the forum and on the slack. Since we as a community have struggled with some of our relationships lately, having someone like Tao help resolve disputes amicably is something that is actively needed. He also has a fine track record of investing time and energy into community building which in my opinion has already added great value to the project.

One last thing, (re: @GreyGhost) regarding Tao's comment about Evan weighing in on the "Dash Nation Consensus issue", THIS is the "issue" (ie. the purpose of the thread), taken directly from the OP of that thread:
There seems to be a lot of confusion in the community over everyone's roles, and who should be in charge of what and have power over what in our organization.
How will we move forward?
Did Evan address this issue in the post Tao was referring to? YES.
The purpose of the Consensus thread was not to create a formal state or organization called Dash Nation. That never has been and never will be what Dash Nation is. And if Tao ever goes down that road, I would oppose it. But he hasn't, and has clearly explained many times what the purpose of the "Dash Nation" moniker is. It is a tool for community building, to attract people to the project and to give a sense of shared identity among all DASH enthusiasts. It is just a name, but do not underestimate its effectiveness. Red Sox Nation is the proof of concept. Don't allow the mere terminology to mislead you when it has been made clear exactly what it is.

At this time I strongly support this proposal and encourage MNs to vote yes :)

Last edited:
Thank you @TroyDASH, you have captured my thoughts exactly.

Cross-posting from the DashNation.com soft launch thread:

I support DashNation!
gdv4upS.jpg
That is exactly the spirit that I wish to create with the Dash Nation campaign. This guy was motivated enough in the relatively short time the campaign was running, to make a shirt and share that he was proud to be a part of Dash Nation. To have a strong sense of community belonging and spreading that news via word of mouth is incredibly important for network effect!

When people ask him, "What is Dash Nation?" He's not going to say "Tao's kingdom" (@GreyGhost) He's going to say that it is a global group of progressives that are striving to bring Dash to the mainstream and bring financial freedom and empowerment to people. And he will inspire others as he's been inspired, leading to a powerful community presence online and in person. How much more proof do you need on this? I know what I'm talking about and I'm good at what I do. Noting that this campaign is only one aspect of what I do, I will continue to do it for Dash as well as my other responsibilities in my proposal. Please support me as community lead.

https://twitter.com/taoofsatoshi/status/744037144423993347

Last edited:
Thank you @TaoOfSatoshi for ramping up your efforts even more than before!

Here are my thoughts:

I've been reading through this thread, and the main issue I am seeing is the question of whether or not the role you are describing is necessary. And I would answer that question with a definite "yes". Think about it. This project is already technically far superior to Bitcoin and many other cryptocurrencies. And our share of the crypto space is much smaller than I would expect it to be if we are judging by technical merit alone. This project needs people, more than anything else, to succeed. People who understand and are enthusiastic about DASH, people who are willing to do things on their own to help the project, people who are willing to accept DASH as payment, people who are going to ask other stores/merchants if they might accept Dash. We can spend thousands of dollars on ads to try and expose people to DASH, but what happens when they get here? If there is not a vibrant community AND a good relationship fostered between various groups within the project, they are going to leave, they will be less likely to invest, and we are going to miss out on quite a lot of talent.

Tao has shown that while sometimes surrounded by flamethrowers on both sides, he is able to maintain a level-headed demeanor here on the forum and on the slack. Since we as a community have struggled with some of our relationships lately, having someone like Tao help resolve disputes amicably is something that is actively needed. He also has a fine track record of investing time and energy into community building which in my opinion has already added great value to the project.

One last thing, (re: @GreyGhost) regarding Tao's comment about Evan weighing in on the "Dash Nation Consensus issue", THIS is the "issue" (ie. the purpose of the thread), taken directly from the OP of that thread:

Did Evan address this issue in the post Tao was referring to? YES.
The purpose of the Consensus thread was not to create a formal state or organization called Dash Nation. That never has been and never will be what Dash Nation is. And if Tao ever goes down that road, I would oppose it. But he hasn't, and has clearly explained many times what the purpose of the "Dash Nation" moniker is. It is a tool for community building, to attract people to the project and to give a sense of shared identity among all DASH enthusiasts. It is just a name, but do not underestimate its effectiveness. Red Sox Nation is the proof of concept. Don't allow the mere terminology to mislead you when it has been made clear exactly what it is.

At this time I strongly support this proposal and encourage MNs to vote yes :)

Well said, thanks Troy! I don't always have the energy to express myself, but if I could, I would have said what you said :D

I would like to express my thanks to the Dash community for the support you've shown me so far in the voting. I am already extremely motivated to build the Dash community, and making me a blockchain employee would make it official (and on a more humorous note, it would keep my wife off my back for spending the majority of my free time promoting Dash :D).

Please continue to support me as I am still a few votes away from being funded. I love you all.

https://www.dashwhale.org/p/tao-community-lead

Thanks again,

Tao.

Last edited:
@TaoOfSatoshi I am happy to see your initiative, I voted YES and I urge everyone to do the same, and that's why:

1. Ideology is very important for a project like DASH (even if the most of tech guys don't like it). The power of any currency is all about trust. And ideology is the important component of any trust.
So we have to grow strong ideology(-ies) if we want to get strong and trusty digital currency.
I know, most of the crypto community don't like any forms of governments, nations, ideologies and other "dictators". But we shouldn't limit ourself with crypto-people only. And for the rest of the world (>90% IMO) being a part of some group of people (with common ideology, goals, ... - is a vital necessity, and the entire core of motivation. That is where "Dash Nation" will be the solution (along with many other Dash ideologies I hope we will see in nearest years)!

So "Dash Nation" doesn't compete with "Dash Project". It stays (and strengths) behind it (similar to Religion stays and strengths all strong and successful Societies and Economies). It's just "the 5th Element".

2. You are the right person in the right place. I know that not everybody likes your style - it is normal and good (that is why we need dozens of different "tao"s to cover the whole range of different types of Dash-people). But your life-work experience give you big advantage in accomplishing these tasks. One TOP-manager told me that the best salesmen are grown from... barmen - they have experiences of effective dealing with all different types of people.

So we need strong ideology behind Dash and we need to "sell" it to General public outside of crypto world. Please do it for Dash and we will support you! :)

@TaoOfSatoshi I am happy to see your initiative, I voted YES and I urge everyone to do the same, and that's why:

1. Ideology is very important for a project like DASH (even if the most of tech guys don't like it). The power of any currency is all about trust. And ideology is the important component of any trust.
So we have to grow strong ideology(-ies) if we want to get strong and trusty digital currency.
I know, most of the crypto community don't like any forms of governments, nations, ideologies and other "dictators". But we shouldn't limit ourself with crypto-people only. And for the rest of the world (>90% IMO) being a part of some group of people (with common ideology, goals, ... - is a vital necessity, and the entire core of motivation. That is where "Dash Nation" will be the solution (along with many other Dash ideologies I hope we will see in nearest years)!

So "Dash Nation" doesn't compete with "Dash Project". It stays (and strengths) behind it (similar to Religion stays and strengths all strong and successful Societies and Economies). It's just "the 5th Element".

2. You are the right person in the right place. I know that not everybody likes your style - it is normal and good (that is why we need dozens of different "tao"s to cover the whole range of different types of Dash-people). But your life-work experience give you big advantage in accomplishing these tasks. One TOP-manager told me that the best salesmen are grown from... barmen - they have experiences of effective dealing with all different types of people.

So we need strong ideology behind Dash and we need to "sell" it to General public outside of crypto world. Please do it for Dash and we will support you! :)
Yes, Alex-ru, you hit the nail on the head here. I think it's natural that not everyone is going to like every style, but it's important to be able to draw in all types if we seek to become digital cash for the world. I will strive with all my skills, determination and means at my disposal to continue on-boarding people to Dash. And when they get here, I will strongly encourage them to "pay it forward" and tell their friends to create a strong network effect which we will need to make up ground on the crypto leaders.

Thank you so much for your support, friend.

@TaoOfSatoshi: Just one question from me:

How does creating this new role speed up Evolution development?
Andy, first of all, let me say I'm appreciating you joining us and sharing your talents. I'm rapt with anticipation of the wonders that are to come with Dash next-generation technology. That's one of the things that motivate me to work hard each day and stay on top of all things Dash.

In response to your question, my community-building efforts don't impact Evolution directly, save for the fact that I actively seek developers online as well (without much success yet :(). However, without my efforts and the efforts of others who I have inspired, we would have much less people who know about, much less care about Evolution. When it is finally released, we will have a bigger user base to sing its praises, and in turn, attract a proportionately larger following after it is released.

You build it, and I will help get them to come!

Thanks for your question, and I hope I will have your support. Cheers!

Andy, first of all, let me say I'm appreciating you joining us and sharing your talents. I'm rapt with anticipation of the wonders that are to come with Dash next-generation technology. That's one of the things that motivate me to work hard each day and stay on top of all things Dash.

In response to your question, my community-building efforts don't impact Evolution directly, save for the fact that I actively seek developers online as well (without much success yet :(). However, without my efforts and the efforts of others who I have inspired, we would have much less people who know about, much less care about Evolution. When it is finally released, we will have a bigger user base to sing its praises, and in turn, attract a proportionately larger following after it is released.

You build it, and I will help get them to come!

Thanks for your question, and I hope I will have your support. Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words :) You don't need to thank me though or justify yourself, you are the biggest promoter of Dash and I think everyone appreciates that :)

Not sure about this one though. My spider senses are telling me there is more work like meetings, chats, emails or postings hidden in there somewhere. I mean we already have several weekly meetings and reporting to do and several official liasons etc etc. If this goes through, what kind of time will you be using of other devs or non-devs (because their time is largely to help devs)?

@TaoOfSatoshi: Just one question from me:

How does creating this new role speed up Evolution development?

Here is one possible answer:

DashNation hopefully attracts additional interest in Dash >
Additional interest hopefully motivates more investment in Dash >
More investment probably creates higher market price of Dash >
Higher market price does results in larger monthly budget >
Larger budget hopefully provides greater Evo funding >
Greater Evo funding > ...well, you get the idea ?

yes i'm totally down with Tao's promotion side, and the more budget for development better

it's the project time i'm worried about e.g.

"Enhance communication between the core team and community."

well that needs people time. and we already have liaisons inside the core team. why make a role just outside the core team for communication, why not just join the core team, otherwise Tao will liaise with core team liaisons, who will be tapping up devs for more information. seems convoluted to me.

yes i'm totally down with Tao's promotion side, and the more budget for development better

well that needs people time. and we already have liaisons inside the core team. why make a role just outside the core team for communication, why not just join the core team, otherwise Tao will liaise with core team liaisons, who will be tapping up devs for more information. seems convoluted to me.

Ah, I understand... what you are asking is:
why make a role just outside the core team for communication?
why not just join the core team?

Those are good questions.

yes, most people would be quite shocked to how many various "core team" meetings are going on (actually different groups with some cross over meeting face to face different days each week on webex with a ton of reporting, spreadsheets, documents, finances, kind of like high level board meetings) and if a liaison isn't plugged into that it will double up everyone's work having to find out stuff and relay that etc etc (and we already have people publishing this info anyway)

I think Tao's time is quite valuable to everyone with what he's already doing too, generating Dash news / content on social media, creating public awareness, bringing in new users, this would take his time away from that which i don't think is needed either and what Tao's already doing is adding a lot of value in the area we really need.

Last edited:
I would add: more people -> more investments -> bigger price of DASH -> bigger monthly budget (for development of Evolution also)

This is exactly it. A larger community leads to increased demand, and a stronger network effect which giving people something to represent and feel passionate about only makes stronger. I already see it in the Russian division of Dash Nation! :D

Thanks for the kind words :) You don't need to thank me though or justify yourself, you are the biggest promoter of Dash and I think everyone appreciates that :)

Not sure about this one though. My spider senses are telling me there is more work like meetings, chats, emails or postings hidden in there somewhere. I mean we already have several weekly meetings and reporting to do and several official liasons etc etc. If this goes through, what kind of time will you be using of other devs or non-devs (because their time is largely to help devs)?

Thank you for your kind words. Most of the questions I see would not take a lot of time to answer, and I would strive to answer them within 24-48 hours. A quick PM would more than suffice in most cases.

That's the plan! It's worked so far. Dash Nation is going to be a big user of Dash, obviously, and will spread the word about Dash in all the ways it can, online and in person.

Yes, I can see that, but the community co-ordination is only one aspect of my role. Honestly, I feel that my time invested promoting should be worth something, considering my results and investment I've brought in. So, I took on another role I saw a need for, and made it a package deal. Bill 101 if you will...:)

My position as a non-official liaison would make me better suited to communicate with both sides. I'd like to think I have both side's trust by now, and I would use my skills to good effect to keep everyone informed, and to bring legitimate community concerns to the core team.

Thanks for all of your comments!

"both sides"......"bring legitimate community concerns to the core team"...this is really political Tao. We need to be looking outside of Dash and building our market and ignoring the concern-trolls, not setting up an official spokesperson to build a bridge between them and the people building the software. I know you're trying to help but this might not go the way you're thinking and i'm sure there is more overhead for development here somewhere :)

"both sides"......"bring legitimate community concerns to the core team"...this is really political Tao. We need to be looking outside of Dash and building our market and ignoring the concern-trolls, not setting up an official spokesperson to build a bridge between them and the people building the software. I know you're trying to help but this might not go the way you're thinking and i'm sure there is more overhead for development here somewhere :)
Sure. I'm aware that my time would be better spent with promotion, which would be the major portion of how my time would be spent. I just see the need for better communication in Dash. So, if you support me, you're getting a highly motivated spokesperson, and someone who is actively looking at the social channels to see if there are any questions or legitimate concerns that need to be addressed. I made it a trial for that very reason you stated, if I don't do exactly as I proposed, I would expect to not be renewed. But I ask for the Masternodes to let me walk my talk, if you know what I mean. ;)

@AndyDark, having Tao act as an agreeable liaison will reduce the amount of time that developers will be spending on "concern trolls". I think many of us can be convinced to allow Tao to help vet feedback to make sure it is appropriate and constructive. If dealing with so many people one on one is not a good use of your time, then having Tao take on this role is an opportunity for you to not feel the need to respond to just anything that gets thrown at you. I know it can be exhausting trying to actually understand the substance of what another person is really trying to communicate at the same time as disregarding any snarky jabs. I would trust Tao to keep a lookout for when something like this is happening and to help get things straight to the real point.

Back