• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Integration With A Flagship Merchant

Ryan Taylor

Foundation Member
This is a cross-post from https://www.dashwhale.org/p/flagship-merchant1

What is this proposal about?

One of our strategic priorities for 2016 is expanding merchant acceptance to give users the opportunity to spend Dash directly, targeting high-value use cases that leverage Dash’s unique features. We are pleased to announce that we are moving forward with implementation at a substantial merchant. An official press release will be coming soon, so I can only provide limited background.

Why should I vote for this proposal?

The merchant is a category-leading privacy-centric service with over one million users. Given the privacy-focused nature of their user base, the synergies with Dash are obvious. Currently, users must make payments using non-private methods. By adding Dash, users will now be able to enjoy full privacy across their entire experience, along with the speed of InstantSend payments (which will be supported as well). It also exposes Dash to a set of customers predisposed to placing a high-value on privacy.

The merchant is a champion of Dash and its many consumer benefits, and will represent what we consider to be a flagship client for our network. As such, we intend to deliver a superior integration to anything the client could have received with Bitcoin.

In addition, this integration will add real-world merchant integration experience to our team, which is already proving extremely valuable to inform the design of Evolution to make it even more merchant-friendly.

What resources are needed?

Rather than using a 3rd party payment processor, we will create a custom payment full-node the client can host internally accessed via a REST API to enable InstantSend payments and additional features they're requesting, to enable full privacy and decentralized payment processing for the client. Secondly, our solution will tightly integrate with the client’s own payments process for a seamless and enjoyable user experience.

This solution will require additional development support. Andy Freer is leading the team responsible. To complete the work, we will need several resources including a NodeJS developer to build the payment node and API. We will also need an HTML / PHP developer to integrate their systems. Members from the Evolution team will also help with the work under the existing core team budget.

We estimate the total funding required beyond the capacity of the core team to be $5,000.

Requested funding is as follows for the July 6th budget cycle:
Total: 603.59 Dash

Note: Should any funding remain after the project is complete, we will reserve those funds for future integration opportunities

Manually vote YES on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many e791a06c0247cca08c2f81f31b54ae92c78a0946bc4002a2bbe58252457b1582 yes
OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many e791a06c0247cca08c2f81f31b54ae92c78a0946bc4002a2bbe58252457b1582 yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many e791a06c0247cca08c2f81f31b54ae92c78a0946bc4002a2bbe58252457b1582 no
OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many e791a06c0247cca08c2f81f31b54ae92c78a0946bc4002a2bbe58252457b1582 no

This is a cross-post from https://www.dashwhale.org/p/flagship-merchant1

What is this proposal about?

One of our strategic priorities for 2016 is expanding merchant acceptance to give users the opportunity to spend Dash directly, targeting high-value use cases that leverage Dash’s unique features. We are pleased to announce that we are moving forward with implementation at a substantial merchant. An official press release will be coming soon, so I can only provide limited background.

Why should I vote for this proposal?

The merchant is a category-leading privacy-centric service with over one million users. Given the privacy-focused nature of their user base, the synergies with Dash are obvious. Currently, users must make payments using non-private methods. By adding Dash, users will now be able to enjoy full privacy across their entire experience, along with the speed of InstantSend payments (which will be supported as well). It also exposes Dash to a set of customers predisposed to placing a high-value on privacy.

The merchant is a champion of Dash and its many consumer benefits, and will represent what we consider to be a flagship client for our network. As such, we intend to deliver a superior integration to anything the client could have received with Bitcoin.

In addition, this integration will add real-world merchant integration experience to our team, which is already proving extremely valuable to inform the design of Evolution to make it even more merchant-friendly.

What resources are needed?

Rather than using a 3rd party payment processor, we will create a custom payment full-node the client can host internally accessed via a REST API to enable InstantSend payments and additional features they're requesting, to enable full privacy and decentralized payment processing for the client. Secondly, our solution will tightly integrate with the client’s own payments process for a seamless and enjoyable user experience.

This solution will require additional development support. Andy Freer is leading the team responsible. To complete the work, we will need several resources including a NodeJS developer to build the payment node and API. We will also need an HTML / PHP developer to integrate their systems. Members from the Evolution team will also help with the work under the existing core team budget.

We estimate the total funding required beyond the capacity of the core team to be $5,000.

Requested funding is as follows for the July 6th budget cycle:
Total: 603.59 Dash

Note: Should any funding remain after the project is complete, we will reserve those funds for future integration opportunities

Manually vote YES on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many e791a06c0247cca08c2f81f31b54ae92c78a0946bc4002a2bbe58252457b1582 yes
OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many e791a06c0247cca08c2f81f31b54ae92c78a0946bc4002a2bbe58252457b1582 yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many e791a06c0247cca08c2f81f31b54ae92c78a0946bc4002a2bbe58252457b1582 no
OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many e791a06c0247cca08c2f81f31b54ae92c78a0946bc4002a2bbe58252457b1582 no
Sounds great! I'm assuming you can't name the merchant due to a certain rival coin's penchant for trying to screw us over?

Sounds great! I'm assuming you can't name the merchant due to a certain rival coin's penchant for trying to screw us over?
Incorrect. We cannot name the merchant because that information will be released in a coordinated fashion with the merchant client. A press release will be made in the coming weeks. We ask that the community be patient.

Incorrect. We cannot name the merchant because that information will be released in a coordinated fashion with the merchant client. A press release will be made in the coming weeks. We ask that the community be patient.
Fair enough. you have my votes as well. What I said is just a side benefit! :)

Voting no on this. I don't write blank checks.

I feel offended that a proposal is posted with so many words but yet is missing the key factor, WHO. Why not resubmit the proposal after you can tell us who is getting the funds?

I feel offended that a proposal is posted with so many words but yet is missing the key factor, WHO. Why not resubmit the proposal after you can tell us who is getting the funds?

I'm sorry you won't be voting for this proposal. I included as many details about the nature of the merchant as we can at this time. A press release will be released once the work is spec'ed in detail and a project timeline with the client is determined. Unfortunately, we cannot do that work without funding. So it's a bit of a catch 22 situation. We cannot expect our client to commit publicly to doing this integration if we can't pass a proposal to fund the work.

We are not requesting a "blank check". We are requesting $5,000 to integrate a merchant with over one million users. I'm sorry I cannot be more specific.

@Solarminer One other thing to consider... this work directly supports the development of Evolution (e.g, API merchant integration). It also gives the team real-world experience integrating Dash into a real-world at-scale merchant payment system, which will feed directly into the design of Evo.

hmm ill vote yes - I think the experience for Dash will be beneficial as long as its documented and lessons learned etc are completed by the integration / Dash team.

If it turns out to be quite an exciting and well known company - that's an added bonus :)

If the budget proposal is approved, what is the expected completion date for this project?

Is the DASH network assuming the entire cost of integration or is the merchant absorbing some of it?

Back