• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Hiring of Top-level Dash Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)

Should we hire a CMO or not?
Well, let's put it up for a vote and we will see what MNOs think. Personally, I'd support such idea. I also like GrandMasterDash's idea about hiring an R&D team that would investigate other directions that Dash can go towards beyond Evolution. Frankly I thought it is something that Evan is into these days.

I appreciate that DashDisciple is willing to be completely hands-off regarding the hiring a Chief Marketing Officer. Surely that goes a long way toward assuring the Masternode community and the Core Team that DashDisciple has the best interest of the Dash community and Dash brand at heart.

I further agree with the idea that this is not in competition with DashForce or the Core Team, but rather will compliment it and produce a coherent powerful multi-armed marketing plan. This is not a premature move that should really wait until Evolution is released and fully functional. It will take months to do the thoughtful, sophisticated planning and research to implement a good plan. And I believe it is a false dichotomy to say that if we do this (a new CMO to produce a large coherent marketing plan) we can't do that (robust development of the product by the Core Team). We can and should do both.

I would also advocate that if we hire a CMO, that we plan for a good support person that comes along with the CmO, and their primary function would be first class communication and coordination with all the interested parties, the Masternodes, the larger Dash community, the Core Team, Amanda and Piet. Poor communication has hampered and damaged a number of otherwise good and useful projects. From here on out, the expectation for all successful proposals MUST be rapid and open communication with an agreed upon frequency. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I fully appreciate that Tungfa and other long term Dash folks are skeptical and want to go the extra mile to make sure we are not scammed, or hijacked by newcomers with questionable motives. I just do not believe there is any ill intent here at all.

And, I place a lot of trust in Amanda and Piet. For those who are suggesting that Amanda is stupid and just doesn't know what she is doing...

1. You are wrong. I'm going to be polite and stop there.
2. You just burned 86% of whatever social capital you had with the Dash community and 100% of your social capitol with me. Good luck with that.

solarguy2003

Last edited:
I DO think we should hire a CMO. I don't think we can insist on the incumbent being a Masternode owner immediately because this would restrict the talent pool to a few thousand (or fewer) people only.

Hopefully, in due course the new CMO will invest in a Masternode, but if they do their job right, it will hopefully become more and more out of their reach! :)

I DO think we should hire a CMO. I don't think we can insist on the incumbent being a Masternode owner immediately because this would restrict the talent pool to a few thousand (or fewer) people only.

Hopefully, in due course the new CMO will invest in a Masternode, but if they do their job right, it will hopefully become more and more out of their reach! :)

Then what, a 50% share? I don't know, if it's not a masternode then it should be something that keeps them tethered and honest. There are plenty of examples of people getting paid well and doing a bad job.

Then what, a 50% share? I don't know, if it's not a masternode then it should be something that keeps them tethered and honest. There are plenty of examples of people getting paid well and doing a bad job.

Yes, a Masternode share (of some degree) would be a very good way to show some commitment to the cause. It's a bit like a stock option bundled in with a traditional job offer / incentive.

Remember, if they don't do a good job they can be fired by Masternode voting each month.

If we do this, a good incentive program would be that each time Dash passes another coin on Coinmarketcap (on the market cap list) the CMO get a 50 grand bonus. I would not be opposed to doing a similar pay structure for the Core Team as well.

I don't know if we should require the CMO to buy a masternode, but it would certainly be a good sign if they do buy one. Literal buy in to the Dash ecosystem. Of course, at the moment, that would require $185,000, which would certainly limit your pool of applicants. But if they bought a significant share, that would say something about their commitment to the community.

What an amazing community we have. I've read through the replies and here's my opinion.

Potential Pros:
- "Fresh stream of professional marketing proposal". This is exactly what we need.
- Coherent marketing message.
- Professionally done Marketing is a powerful thing with huge ROI. Imagine spending $300k but bringing $30mn of value to the network every month (not just market cap)

If the community approves bus tours, Dash T-shirts, acrobatic airplanes, MMA fighters and so on because it believes these initiatives can bring value to the network, imagine how much more value a high level CMO working full-time for Dash could bring. I guess we all agree on the possible upsides here, so let's focus on what could go wrong:

Risks raised so far:

By the way, these are all valid valid concerns. Would you all agree that if we could eliminate or mitigate those risks, we should approve this proposal?
  1. @dashdisciple being annonymous, trying to diverge governance from dashcentral to dashtreasury, zero track record in community etc @tungfa
    - I don't see an issue here. CMO would be hired by the MNO and proposal will be approved by the MNO. Even if he had bad intentions he wouldn't be able to act through the CMO that the MNO hired.

2. Doubling down on DashForce efforts @tungfa
    I personally don't see an issue here too, they'll be working in very different levels.

3. Appearing like a MLM @tungfa
    Everything the CMO does will have to be approved by the MNO, so if we end up looking like MLM that will be because the MNO voted that way.

4. Funds could be used for R&D instead @GrandMasterDash
    I'm sure MNO can prioritize budget spending if it ever comes to this.

5. Forcing outsider onto the core team, "unhire" core and destroy dash @Vedran Yoweri
    Unsubstantiated in my opinion, but we could get Ryan or Even on board with this idea to put everyone at ease.

I could be wrong and I often am, but I see no downsides, only upsides, and I believe we should vote for this with confidence.

Also, by saying yes to this proposal, we are acknowledging our achievements to date AND accepting that we might of taken things as far as we can. We (everyone) has taken dash to $1B and we now recognise that it might take the help of someone else to take us to the next level. I mean, when you're running Apple or Tesla, it takes a Steve Jobs or an Elon Musk to drive things forward to be the best they can.

Crossposted from Reddit ---------

I'm not sure if we are all thinking the same thing when we refer to marketing. If it is more important to be targeting blockchain enthusiasts who might want to work for dash, in order to improve competition in the budget, than it is to target the general public for Mass usage of dash wallets, then so be it. That is also marketing, and it is something that a CMO could help with. If the priority is business development and awareness among merchants and businesses for potential integrations, then that is also a target market that could be focused on. A good CMO will be able to determine what the business needs are and work to attract the right people to the right places.

I'm not sure if we are all thinking the same thing
agree.

I think it would be helpful for everybody if core could define in clear plain text what dash is, what it will become and how to get there. In their own perception and vision. I have a feeling a lot of people have their own thoughts about this and reason from that. Clarity is essential for making the right decisions and have constructive discussions.

We should first hammer out what we are and what we should be doing.

This would make discussions about what we would like to change more effective, help judge proposals and get everybody on the same train.

I think it would be helpful for everybody if core could define in clear plain text what dash is, what it will become and how to get there. In their own perception and vision.

Dash is digital cash, the plan on how to get there is clearly defined on dash.org/evolution and explained in details by Ryan and Evan many times.

And if this was not enough, Dash's Open House video is titled :
What is DASH & Where Is It Going? 2017 DASH Open House

Whatsoever the first thing our CMO has to do is to get a meeting with Amazon and get a deal to make DASH the top cryptocurrency of Amazon´s choice. We can offer discounts for retailers to buy wares at amazon and so push amazon earnings. If retailers and vendors are trustworthy, using a rating system with evolution, we can give more discounts with better ratings and so pushing the sales of the vendors/reailers which accept DASH. WE HAVE TO THING BIG. SO PLZ GET ON AMAZON NEXT HAHAHA

A WIN-WIN-WIN SITUATION

If getting on the top of the crypto list with Amazon is critical, great marketing and a bigger market share will help us get that.
If getting integrated with Coinbase is critical, great marketing and a bigger market shares will help us get that.
If getting a direct frictionless fiat to Dash gateway is critical, great marketing and a bigger market share will help us get that.

UPDATE: 36 hours ago, we asked the question whether removing ourselves (me, @abob54) from the CMO recruitment process could reduce any risk to the community. Since then it seems that some people would be put at ease if we were totally separated from this process, as we have not yet built the trust to spearhead it. We respect and understand this concern.

For that reason, I am officially rescinding my offer to help with recruitment (as stated in the proposal), and the same goes for @abob54. If there's any specific nuts and bolts help or advice we can offer when it comes time to recruit, we can be available to whichever trusted Dash member heads up this task, but for the good of Dash and our desire to see top marketing talent working for Dash, we will not get between the MNOs and the candidate.

We're really happy to see all this productive discussion about marketing, and we truly believe that Dash has incredible things in store for it, both in the short and long term.

That's big of you to withdraw yourself from the process in response to the community's concerns about your anonymity and short history with the forums.

I'm still in favor of a CMO. And I am agnostic whether the CMO works directly for the Masternode community or is hired by the Core Team and works under Ryan.

Note that if we want an effective and coherent marketing strategy ready to rock in 3-6 months, we need to start that process now.

I suppose I would withdraw my support for a new CMO if Ryan and/or the core team came forward and said, "Hey, we have this great long term, broad spectrum marketing strategy going on in the background. Here's the broad outlines of the plan and here's the awesomely qualified people who are working on it, and here's the schedule when we anticipate rolling out parts A, B and C."

I believe Amanda is absolutely correct in her assessment. I'm in favor of a CMO. It's the right thing to do, and I will vote for this when it's proposed. I don't think they need to be or even should be a Masternode Owner. Owning and operating a Masternode has nothing to do with the job we would be tasking them with. They need to understand tech, brand management, communications, research, and marketing. 1000 Dash and a raspberry pi shouldn't have anything to do with our search. If it's so important, it can be part of their salary. Hell, I'll personally donate the pi.

It doesn't matter who proposed it -- it's a governance question! With governance questions, all that matters is whether or not it's a good idea.

Stay on-topic, please.

And when a governance question is considered a "good idea"?
You have to define what "good idea" means.
You are talking about governance questions without defining:
1) the selection process
2) the minimum participation percentage

Your wording is vague, as it is the wording of all marketeers.

The correct wording could be (for example): "With governance questions, all that matters is whether or not it's an idea suppored by a strong majority (66%) and has paricipation a least 22%."
Another correct wording could be: "With governance questions, all that matters is whether or not it's an idea suppored by a simple majority (50%+1) and has paricipation a least 12%."

If you dont define what "good" means for you, you say nothing, you only chatter. Too many people chatter instead of talking (and voting) the numbers. Thats why everything is a mess. Could you please, all of you, either talk accurately, or shut up?

Last edited:
Back