• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Google Apps For Work Subscriptions

Ryan Taylor

Foundation Member
This is a cross-post from www.dashwhale.org/p/infra-google-apps

In order to provide the core team with professional tools and storage infrastructure, and improve collaboration internally and with external partners, we would like to migrate our current e-mail accounts to Google Apps for Work (https://apps.google.com/intx/en/).

Our current solution (Yandex) served us well up to this point, however its business features are limited to basic email service. With the rapid growth of the project, large number of initiatives, and collaboration with numerous external partners, we see the need for a professional email and collaboration platform. What we are lacking with the current solution, which is offered by Google Apps for Work are:

• Integrated online calendars (our biggest need)
  • Online storage for file syncing and sharing together with advanced admin controls for Drive
  • Online text documents, spreadsheets and slides
  • Easily search and export to different formats of our files and materials
  • Google Vault for eDiscovery features
  • Security and admin controls
  • 24/7 phone and email support
In addition, many members of the core team are already accustomed to Google Apps from previous experience, reducing the ramp-up time to this proposed solution. The Google accounts cost $10/month/person. We currently utilize 32 accounts with Yandex, but we believe we will divest of a few accounts during the migration. Should we have leftover funds, we will simply apply those to future Google Apps costs (thus reducing the costs of future email / collaboration tool budget requests). If approved, we would expect to continue on a new proposal under the 12.1 budget system.

Requested funding is as follows for the July 6th budget cycle:
Total: 41.90 Dash

Manually vote YES on this proposal:

dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 6e7e0940bcee65fbfd13ebc7caef092d35a6f964d23035a330a1911a83b0da15 yes
OR from the qt console:

mnbudget vote-many 6e7e0940bcee65fbfd13ebc7caef092d35a6f964d23035a330a1911a83b0da15 yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:

dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 6e7e0940bcee65fbfd13ebc7caef092d35a6f964d23035a330a1911a83b0da15 no
OR from the qt console:

mnbudget vote-many 6e7e0940bcee65fbfd13ebc7caef092d35a6f964d23035a330a1911a83b0da15 no

I hate Google but agree that yandex is definately not the answer :rolleyes:

Would all of you operating as a legit business like it seems we are moving towards, set any of you up for legal issues? Are we opening the core team up to attacks (political, legal, etc) by being more centralized in any way? Or no? Honestly curious as Google is seeming becoming more evil by the day...

Would all of you operating as a legit business like it seems we are moving towards, set any of you up for legal issues? Are we opening the core team up to attacks (political, legal, etc) by being more centralized in any way? Or no? Honestly curious as Google is seeming becoming more evil by the day...

naaa
i would not overthink that
google docs and such are tools we use every day
they are part of the "evil empire" but that does not mean we are opening ourself to any legal issues
(we are way too small for that + not doing anything illegal)
:rolleyes:

How about FastMail as an alternative to Google Apps?

It doesn't recreate everything Google Apps offers, but I know someone who switched recently, and they seem content with its email and calendar functionality.

We are currently using Google Apps for the bitcoinmanchester.org.uk domain, and I'd love to move away. FastMail looks like one of the best candidates so far. (We don't have any firm plans to switch just yet though.)

Dear Masternode Network and Community:

I am writing to inform about successful migration of core team accounts to Gmail service.
After few weeks of preparations, if was executed during the weekend of 15th September 2016 by Jeff Smith (@coingun) with assistance of @moocowmoo.

Email accounts together with existing content were migrated from Yandex to the new service and they work flawlessly. In comparison to Yandex, even basic features offered by Google Apps like calendar and sharing space give us more comfort, save a lot of time, prevent mistakes (especially with meeting setup) and allow professional collaboration with our partners.

After the migration, Jeff joined infrastructure team to support Dash network and internal infra tools together with @moocowmoo and @flare.
I want to say that I really enjoyed the cooperation with Jeff on this project - I was impressed by his highly collaborative approach and smooth execution of the migration steps.

Jeff,
Thank you for leading the migration and professional work!

moo,
As always - great job! Like a Swiss clock ;)

Last edited:
Dear Masternode Network and Community:

I am writing to inform about successful migration of core team accounts to Gmail service.
After few weeks of preparations, if was executed during the weekend of 15th September 2016 by Jeff Smith (@coingun) with assistance of @moocowmoo.

Email accounts together with existing content were migrated from Yandex to the new service and they work flawlessly. In comparison to Yandex, even basic features offered by Google Apps like calendar and sharing space give us more comfort, save a lot of time, prevent mistakes (especially with meeting setup) and allow professional collaboration with our partners.

After the migration, Jeff joined infrastructure team to supports Dash network and internal infra tools together with @moocowmoo and @flare.
I want to say that I really enjoyed the cooperation with Jeff on this project - I was impressed by his highly collaborative approach and smooth execution of the migration steps.

Jeff,
Thank you for leading the migration and professional work!

Too bad he sucks at Fantasy Football LOL @coingun killin you here bro.

Back