• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: DASH SXSW Music Festival

feedbands Just sell this hat for $20, and as a free gift you get $20 worth of Dash. No money transmitter license required.

20krrz.jpg

I have trouble trying to figure out how your festival within a larger event fits. I understand there to be many simultaneous events but i don't have context on who is the biggest one(scale) etc.

Obviously we want to target our tech demographic first but it's hard to gauge how many people will be going to your event. Ideally you would want to gamify the system by collecting dash or vouchers for dash in other places at the event to draw them to you.

You offer a platform within a event to encourage a larger understanding of dash than just sponsoring SXSW only. When we do event's we want to have a landing zone for people, be a booth, meetup, or another event. What would it take to also be a primary sponsor to all of SXSW, that way it could be driven to your event?

I prefer a more passive approach then to force anything on anyone. You could do this with paper wallets, and give those out for every item sold as a bonus. And draw the money back if it is not redeemed by the expiration date.

For those wondering the value of getting Dash out there to SXSW, this year guests and speakers include Mark Cuban, Guy Kawasaki, Peter Thiel, Walter Isaacson, CNN’s chief correspondant, the VP of Amazon Web Services, the producer of the Daily Show, and so on. See here for a complete list of notable attendees: https://www.sxsw.com/conference/featured-speakers/. Previous speakers and attendants include Snoop Dogg, Steve Martin, Barack Obama, J.J. Abrams, Malcolm Gladwell, Neil Young, Sean Parker, Seth McFarlane, Kevin Smith, Mark Zuckerberg, and the list goes on and on: https://www.sxsw.com/about/history/

These kinds of folks, and their friends, are the type of people who regularly attend SXSW. They are founders, CEOs, engineers, developers, filmmakers, journalists, and influencers.

Getting in front of these types of folks will be invaluable. They can have their first experience actually using and spending dash while enjoying phenomenal music and becoming educated on the instantsend and near zero transaction fees.

In addition, we will contractually require all the performing artists to promote DASH via their social media channels. Collectively they have an audience of nearly 1 million.
its getting better and better , the big question can you prove that you are a key member of this sxsw festival ? i think then we are all good to go ..

I have trouble trying to figure out how your festival within a larger event fits. I understand there to be many simultaneous events but i don't have context on who is the biggest one(scale) etc.

Obviously we want to target our tech demographic first but it's hard to gauge how many people will be going to your event. Ideally you would want to gamify the system by collecting dash or vouchers for dash in other places at the event to draw them to you.

You offer a platform within a event to encourage a larger understanding of dash than just sponsoring SXSW only. When we do event's we want to have a landing zone for people, be a booth, meetup, or another event. What would it take to also be a primary sponsor to all of SXSW, that way it could be driven to your event?

I prefer a more passive approach then to force anything on anyone. You could do this with paper wallets, and give those out for every item sold as a bonus. And draw the money back if it is not redeemed by the expiration date.

Great question. For folks who have never attended SXSW it's hard to understand what it is. It is not like any normal festival where you enter and you are inside its limits. It sprawls across all of Austin for the week. One speaker might be in the conference center. Another might be at a University. You literally get a booklet half an inch thick of the 1000 product launches, speakers, and artists performing and it is all spread out across the city and literally impossible to make it even to a fraction of it all.

Bicycle taxis number in the thousands, uber rates surge, and Airbnb books out completely for the entire city. There are so many people everywhere. Setting something up that's highly visible and having great music to draw people in is going to be WAY more effective than having a line in their booklet which people tend to abandon anyway save for a few notable speakers they want to see, etc.

I understand the urge and desire to sponsor the festival directly, but honestly that would increase the cost into the millions. This approach, by SXSW standards is small and conservative and gets us the most bang for the buck. The artists each cost a few thousand instead of a few hundred thousand. And might I add these artists have collective audiences themselves of hundreds of thousands of people on social media and will promote dash.

However I can certainly get quotes from the organizers of SXSW. Becoming an "official" sponsor means they'd simply put the dash logo in their booklet and list our events in the official booklet. I feel like it would be a waste of hundreds of thousands of dollars and we would draw just as many people anyway but I'll reach out to them and see if it's not too late for that.

Great question. For folks who have never attended SXSW it's hard to understand what it is. It is not like any normal festival where you enter and you are inside its limits. It sprawls across all of Austin for the week. One speaker might be in the conference center. Another might be at a University. You literally get a booklet half an inch thick of the 1000 product launches, speakers, and artists performing and it is all spread out across the city and literally impossible to make it even to a fraction of it all.

Bicycle taxis number in the thousands, uber rates surge, and Airbnb books out completely for the entire city. There are so many people everywhere. Setting something up that's highly visible and having great music to draw people in is going to be WAY more effective than having a line in their booklet which people tend to abandon anyway save for a few notable speakers they want to see, etc.

I understand the urge and desire to sponsor the festival directly, but honestly that would increase the cost into the millions. This approach, by SXSW standards is small and conservative and gets us the most bang for the buck. The artists each cost a few thousand instead of a few hundred thousand. And might I add these artists have collective audiences themselves of hundreds of thousands of people on social media and will promote dash.

However I can certainly get quotes from the organizers of SXSW. Becoming an "official" sponsor means they'd simply put the dash logo in their booklet and list our events in the official booklet. I feel like it would be a waste of hundreds of thousands of dollars and we would draw just as many people anyway but I'll reach out to them and see if it's not too late for that.

all good , what is the ask , how much money are talking about ?

all good , what is the ask , how much money are talking about ?

Still waiting to hear back from the event planning vendor providing stage rental / sound rental / amplified music permit / alcohol permit and signage. Right now we have commitments from 15 bands which will cost $60,000 to fly them out and put them up, the parking lot costs $25,000, so we're up to $85,000 but after we add all the other rentals and licensing stuff from the event planning vendor it could double to $160k or so and that's before any official sponsorship.

I did reach out to SXSW organization and proposed that DASH be the official cryptocurrency of SXSW and for branding in the event book and listing of the event as an official one. I'll post it here when they get back to me.

Luckily some of the staff in the official SXSW orgnanization are Feedbands members so I have their personal contact & they've put me through to the right people and I'm discussing with them now.

Last edited:
Back