• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Dash Nation Slack Upgrade

TaoOfSatoshi

8NURnZg.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm Tao Of Satoshi.

You may know me from Cash Alternative TV, my Twitter account Cash Alternative, or around the forums and Reddit. I also own and manage Dash's premier online source for communication and collaboration, Dash Nation Slack.

It is Dash Nation Slack that brings me here today. We established it in October 2016, and it promptly grew in popularity and usage. People from all over the world frequent it and contribute to Dash through talent, connections, or sometimes pure enthusiasm. It became a "go-to" place to discuss all of Dash's issues and events in a respectful atmosphere. Rules of the Slack are conducive to respectful dialogue, be it in agreement or disagreement. Projects have been born, inspired by, or discussed in our Slack. It is much more than a chat room, as it builds relationships between people from all over the world due to its "real-time" attributes. In short, it provides the experience that should be associated with Dash.

Community-based work to propel Dash forward is done there as well. Projects that have been conceived, influenced or aided by Dash Nation Slack include but are not limited to Dash Force, the Point of Sale project, and the #FirstDashWallet campaign.

Lately though, Dash Nation Slack has become a victim of its own success. The free Slack has some limitations that aren't conducive to a thriving online community to continue to grow. A 10K message limit means that messages are often lost within a couple of days, leading to lost productivity from teams who use the Slack for their communications. A limit to the storage space means that users are often greeted with a "Your Slack storage limit is full" when trying to upload files to the Slack for all to enjoy. A limit to integrations means that we cannot provide the optimal experience for users of the Slack, we cannot provide a high level experience that Dash itself provides with its technology. Dash works extremely well, we need a communication and collaboration channel that works equally well.

"What are the benefits of a paid Slack?"

A paid Slack offers the following benefits to the community communication and collaboration.

- Unlimited message limit
Dashers who use Dash Nation Slack will be secure in the knowledge that their contributions will not be lost in the abyss, leading to decreased productivity. Messages in public and private channels will be kept, so nothing is lost.

- 10GB of file space per member
There will be no more instances of there being not enough room to upload key items to the Slack.

- Unlimited integrations
We will be able to provide a richer experience for our users with more features.

- Custom User Groups to reach a team or department
This would be beneficial for groups such as Dash Force or any other DAOs who may use Dash Nation Slack in the future.

- Voice and video calls
Up to 15 participants can share in a video call from within a paid Slack

- Screen sharing

- Search & Intelligence
Search for relevant people, messages, and files

Preferred support

"So, what are you asking for, Tao?"

In order to provide a top-notch experience for our users, it is necessary to upgrade to a paid Slack.

A paid Slack membership total is the number of active users by $8 USD. At the present time, we have ~500 active users, so I would require around $4,000 USD per month at current levels. As this will be a multi-month proposal, I will be asking for 50% more than I need due to the inevitability of Slack growth due to current contributions and newcomers loving their experience there, and telling their friends. I will keep detailed records of payments to Slack, and any leftover funds will be taken into consideration in future extension proposals. I am also requesting a salary to administer and monitor the newly paid Slack. If you feel I have done a good job making Dash Nation one of the best Slack experiences out there, please vote for this proposal. It would be great to be able to scale this experience, and keep contributing meaningfully to the Dash ecosystem.

This is a breakdown of the monthly funds that I am asking for:

22.25 DASH - Fees to make Dash Nation Slack a paid experience for our users (Unlimited message history, unlimited file sharing, unlimited integration, and other perks). This inlcudes a 50% buffer which, if unused, will go towwards future extension proposals.

10 DASH - Tao Of Satoshi Slack administration, monitoring and community building efforts

1.67 DASH - 3 payments to recover the 5 DASH proposal fee.

TOTAL: 33.92 DASH per month

I would appreciate your support. It's very important to have a medium of communication that can grow with its users, and offering an experience that parallels the Dash experience itself in quality. Thank you my friends.

Tao.​

Vote Yes: gobject vote-many 52c5161ff85089073493a3c7606acdc9f191eaa637e530f2a0863b0ee212f4ab funding yes

Vote No: gobject vote-many 52c5161ff85089073493a3c7606acdc9f191eaa637e530f2a0863b0ee212f4ab funding no

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, since we are paying per member and this is the crazy world of crypto, could there be an attack where someone registers 1000 members by bot/script etc and that would mean we are $8000 out of pocket?

Apart from that, I love Dash Nation slack and would vote yes for an upgrade.

Personally, I would rather pay for a custom built Dash Nation. That would allow us to have, for example, masternode badges like we have here in the forums.. and dedicated / verified MNO chat rooms, and so on.

Reactions: JZA
Ever thought about moving it to an open platform?
DASH is open source under the MIT License. Why wouldnt DASH Nation platform be Open Source as well?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, since we are paying per member and this is the crazy world of crypto, could there be an attack where someone registers 1000 members by bot/script etc and that would mean we are $8000 out of pocket?

Apart from that, I love Dash Nation slack and would vote yes for an upgrade.
We will have safeguards in place to delete any users who just register and nothing else. Everything with Slack is pro-rated, so fake users that are deleted as soon as they join would not be an issue. Great question!

Supporting of course :) Can you consider other platforms Tao? Slack is propitiatory, not sure if there's anything suitable open source but the more platforms the better.

I consider Slack to be the best user experience right now, but I will always be open-minded about alternatives.

Personally, I would rather pay for a custom built Dash Nation. That would allow us to have, for example, masternode badges like we have here in the forums.. and dedicated / verified MNO chat rooms, and so on.

That would be great! Something to consider for the future.

Ever thought about moving it to an open platform?

I am open to alternatives down the line if we grow disillusioned with Slack. So far it has been wonderful, though, apart from the restrictions.

Others are moving from Slack... https://github.com/aragon/governance/issues/7
Maybe, we should move now before getting bigger? 2cents.
This reads more like a proposal than a decision. There are a lot of negative comments about the linked proposal, as well. Bottom line is that our users enjoy Slack, and we have established it as a premier source for Dash community communication and collaboration. To upgrade it would be to provide a top-notch experience for our users, the experience people expect from Dash itself.

There have been several suggestions to consider other (perhaps free or open source) options. Of all of those options, Glip comes pretty close to offering all the same goodies as Slack. Slack is the recognized leader for this application.

It was suggested that Glip is free and free is better. That is not quite accurate. Glip is "free" just like Slack is "free". That only gets you the limited stripped down version. The pro version of Glip costs 10 bucks a user.

Slack's pro version is 8 bucks a user.

Here is a long and detailed comparison of the two competitors:

https://getvoip.com/blog/2017/01/10/slack-vs-glip/

Again I say, yes to the Slack upgrade.

Back