Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Proposal: Dash Nation Slack Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pre + Budget Proposal Discussions' started by TaoOfSatoshi, Aug 22, 2017.

1. TaoOfSatoshi

TaoOfSatoshi Grizzled Member

[​IMG]

Hi everyone, I'm Tao Of Satoshi.

You may know me from Cash Alternative TV, my Twitter account Cash Alternative, or around the forums and Reddit. I also own and manage Dash's premier online source for communication and collaboration, Dash Nation Slack.

It is Dash Nation Slack that brings me here today. We established it in October 2016, and it promptly grew in popularity and usage. People from all over the world frequent it and contribute to Dash through talent, connections, or sometimes pure enthusiasm. It became a "go-to" place to discuss all of Dash's issues and events in a respectful atmosphere. Rules of the Slack are conducive to respectful dialogue, be it in agreement or disagreement. Projects have been born, inspired by, or discussed in our Slack. It is much more than a chat room, as it builds relationships between people from all over the world due to its "real-time" attributes. In short, it provides the experience that should be associated with Dash.

Community-based work to propel Dash forward is done there as well. Projects that have been conceived, influenced or aided by Dash Nation Slack include but are not limited to Dash Force, the Point of Sale project, and the #FirstDashWallet campaign.

Lately though, Dash Nation Slack has become a victim of its own success. The free Slack has some limitations that aren't conducive to a thriving online community to continue to grow. A 10K message limit means that messages are often lost within a couple of days, leading to lost productivity from teams who use the Slack for their communications. A limit to the storage space means that users are often greeted with a "Your Slack storage limit is full" when trying to upload files to the Slack for all to enjoy. A limit to integrations means that we cannot provide the optimal experience for users of the Slack, we cannot provide a high level experience that Dash itself provides with its technology. Dash works extremely well, we need a communication and collaboration channel that works equally well.

"What are the benefits of a paid Slack?"

A paid Slack offers the following benefits to the community communication and collaboration.

- Unlimited message limit
    Dashers who use Dash Nation Slack will be secure in the knowledge that their contributions will not be lost in the abyss, leading to decreased productivity. Messages in public and private channels will be kept, so nothing is lost.

- 10GB of file space per member
    There will be no more instances of there being not enough room to upload key items to the Slack.

- Unlimited integrations
    We will be able to provide a richer experience for our users with more features.

- Custom User Groups to reach a team or department
    This would be beneficial for groups such as Dash Force or any other DAOs who may use Dash Nation Slack in the future.

- Voice and video calls
    Up to 15 participants can share in a video call from within a paid Slack

- Screen sharing

- Search & Intelligence
    Search for relevant people, messages, and files

Preferred support

"So, what are you asking for, Tao?"

In order to provide a top-notch experience for our users, it is necessary to upgrade to a paid Slack.

A paid Slack membership total is the number of active users by $8 USD. At the present time, we have ~500 active users, so I would require around $4,000 USD per month at current levels. As this will be a multi-month proposal, I will be asking for 50% more than I need due to the inevitability of Slack growth due to current contributions and newcomers loving their experience there, and telling their friends. I will keep detailed records of payments to Slack, and any leftover funds will be taken into consideration in future extension proposals. I am also requesting a salary to administer and monitor the newly paid Slack. If you feel I have done a good job making Dash Nation one of the best Slack experiences out there, please vote for this proposal. It would be great to be able to scale this experience, and keep contributing meaningfully to the Dash ecosystem.

This is a breakdown of the monthly funds that I am asking for:

22.25 DASH - Fees to make Dash Nation Slack a paid experience for our users (Unlimited message history, unlimited file sharing, unlimited integration, and other perks). This inlcudes a 50% buffer which, if unused, will go towwards future extension proposals.

10 DASH - Tao Of Satoshi Slack administration, monitoring and community building efforts

1.67 DASH - 3 payments to recover the 5 DASH proposal fee.

TOTAL: 33.92 DASH per month

I would appreciate your support. It's very important to have a medium of communication that can grow with its users, and offering an experience that parallels the Dash experience itself in quality. Thank you my friends.

Tao.​

Vote Yes: gobject vote-many 52c5161ff85089073493a3c7606acdc9f191eaa637e530f2a0863b0ee212f4ab funding yes

Vote No: gobject vote-many 52c5161ff85089073493a3c7606acdc9f191eaa637e530f2a0863b0ee212f4ab funding no

#1 TaoOfSatoshi, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

I vote yes. A slam dunk. When does the proposal go live?

3. Stealth923

Stealth923 Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Just out of curiosity, since we are paying per member and this is the crazy world of crypto, could there be an attack where someone registers 1000 members by bot/script etc and that would mean we are $8000 out of pocket?

Apart from that, I love Dash Nation slack and would vote yes for an upgrade.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

Oh yeah, and I meant to ask, are there volume/group discounts?

5. algodon.franelas

algodon.franelas Active Member

Excellent proposal @TaoOfSatoshi

Dash Nation Slack is very important, and if we can make it better than it already is, that would be great.

Good luck!

6. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Active Member

Supporting of course :) Can you consider other platforms Tao? Slack is propitiatory, not sure if there's anything suitable open source but the more platforms the better.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Personally, I would rather pay for a custom built Dash Nation. That would allow us to have, for example, masternode badges like we have here in the forums.. and dedicated / verified MNO chat rooms, and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JZA

JZA Active Member

Dash Address:
    XmZ3aBBWJdYa6hUJkWbTvwHMwMscmHQFNH
    Ever thought about moving it to an open platform?
    DASH is open source under the MIT License. Why wouldnt DASH Nation platform be Open Source as well?

#8 JZA, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TaoOfSatoshi

As soon as the proposal passes, I will make the paid experience live. Thanks for your question.

10. TaoOfSatoshi

We will have safeguards in place to delete any users who just register and nothing else. Everything with Slack is pro-rated, so fake users that are deleted as soon as they join would not be an issue. Great question!

• Like Like x 1
  11. TaoOfSatoshi

I will open a dialogue with Slack to try and improve our deal, maybe agreeing to promote them if they start accepting Dash. We will see.

• Like Like x 2
  12. TaoOfSatoshi

Thank you for your kind words, Eugenia.

13. TaoOfSatoshi

I consider Slack to be the best user experience right now, but I will always be open-minded about alternatives.

That would be great! Something to consider for the future.

I am open to alternatives down the line if we grow disillusioned with Slack. So far it has been wonderful, though, apart from the restrictions.

• Like Like x 1
  14. joezippy

joezippy Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. TaoOfSatoshi

This reads more like a proposal than a decision. There are a lot of negative comments about the linked proposal, as well. Bottom line is that our users enjoy Slack, and we have established it as a premier source for Dash community communication and collaboration. To upgrade it would be to provide a top-notch experience for our users, the experience people expect from Dash itself.

16. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

Every platform has pros and cons. Slack has (I think) the richest feature set. And the paid for version give a better experience of course.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheBigCat

TheBigCat Member

It's time! Let's do this, Dash Community!

• Like Like x 2
  18. joezippy

joezippy Member

19. Abdul kudus Mutaru

Abdul kudus Mutaru New Member

Dash Address:
    XjGF2vF5SWBPMugFaxXkKrDJXoqZ1MuHab
    Thus
    Very true Bro, I go by what you said.

• Like Like x 1
  20. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

There have been several suggestions to consider other (perhaps free or open source) options. Of all of those options, Glip comes pretty close to offering all the same goodies as Slack. Slack is the recognized leader for this application.

It was suggested that Glip is free and free is better. That is not quite accurate. Glip is "free" just like Slack is "free". That only gets you the limited stripped down version. The pro version of Glip costs 10 bucks a user.

Slack's pro version is 8 bucks a user.

Here is a long and detailed comparison of the two competitors:

https://getvoip.com/blog/2017/01/10/slack-vs-glip/

Again I say, yes to the Slack upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Dagogu55

Dagogu55 New Member

I believe this proposal deserve funding.
    What else can deserve funding than what will bring us together to share ideas for Dash and our betterment.
    I strongly vote yes for this proposal

• Like Like x 2
  22. TaoOfSatoshi

I'm glad that you folks recognize the benefits of a paid Slack towards productivity and community building. Thanks for your support!

• Like Like x 1
  23. holgum

holgum New Member

Tao:
    Just a thought.
    I have noticed some folks recently moving to Rocket Chat. I've used it and it's pretty nice and very similar to Slack. Even has an import from Slack.
    I think it might be more cost effective in the long run to run our own Rocket Chat instance on AWS than to pay for Slack.
    If we factor out the 10 dash / month for your administration (which I have no problem with), we're paying ~$5k / month for Slack. That buys a lot of virtual HW on AWS.
    Obviously the admin would be a bit more involved though.
    PM me if you want to look at it and I'll help get an instance up.

24. solarguy

solarguy Active Member

Every option has strengths and weaknesses. I have never touched Rocket Chat, but the following review suggests to me that it takes more work and babysitting. Here are two excerpts:

" Rocket.chat. It's feature set also rivals Slack, it's good looking enough. But, it's made in Meteor. Now, I don't have anything against Meteor and I really think a Slack-clone is exactly the kind of use case where you could use Meteor to its full potential.

Technically I really think it's a downside to be forced to use Mongodb (Meteor requires Mongo). For small installations I really prefer to have PostgreSQL. MongoDB is competent, but for medium to big installations, and I will show you why below.

I strongly dislike the culture of writing software without minimal care such as having a reasonably complete test suite. You browse through the many packages that comprise Rocket.chat and several of them have no tests whatsoever. Some packages do have jasmine tests, but the majority is lacking."

A second quote, "So, the code itself is not so pretty, you have to keep this in mind. I'd much rather use Mattermost (which is much better structured and with enough tests), but it's not entirely free, so it's not an option to me. For my scenario, I'd rather have sloppy code (that minimally "works") that I can tweak than code I can't see, for this particular venture."

Keep in mind, you could pack everything I know about actually running and maintaining rocket chat in a thimble. But it does look like it's a lot more "hands on." I wouldn't want to take on any extra work, we have a lot on our plate already.

Here's the source of that review: http://www.akitaonrails.com/2016/08/09/moving-away-from-slack-into-rocket-chat-good-enough

It's not like we don't have the money....BOOM just punched through 400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

I agree. I think there is nothing stopping us having two Dash Nation outlets with the longer term view of saving money. Please get the ball rolling and submit a second proposal for this.

26. holgum

holgum New Member

No worries.