• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Dash Electrum Masternode / Trezor Support

Ryan Taylor

Foundation Member
This is a cross-post from Dashwhale: https://www.dashwhale.org/p/electrum-trezor1

The core project team is pleased to announce we have reached an agreement with Mazaclub - the vendor responsible for the Electrum wallet - to integrate support for masternode commands into the Electrum wallet and for the Trezor hardware wallet. In response to demand from masternode owners, this solution will provide much stronger security for increasingly valuable masternode private keys with the Trezor device.

The cost of the integration is $1,000 USD. Work is expected to commence shortly (assuming support for this proposal) and will include the following deliverables:

1) Masternode commands / operations integrated into the Electrum wallet
2) New look and feel
3) Wallet testing
4) Trezor testing
5) Documentation of code and product
6) Deployment on servers
7) Github update

The expected project timeline calls for completion of the project in May.

Note that this project excludes a maintenance contract. Should we negotiate a maintenance contract, it will be submitted under a separate proposal.

Requested funding is as follows for the May 6th budget cycle:
Total: 158.37 Dash

Exchange rate risk is carried only by the contract signer(s) and not by the network.

Manually vote YES on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 0746452e63da00bec70ce7c1b3c96c85f16f6dffae3947ea931cd5436c70b7f6 yes
OR from the qt console: mnbudget vote-many 0746452e63da00bec70ce7c1b3c96c85f16f6dffae3947ea931cd5436c70b7f6 yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 0746452e63da00bec70ce7c1b3c96c85f16f6dffae3947ea931cd5436c70b7f6 no
OR from the qt console: mnbudget vote-many 0746452e63da00bec70ce7c1b3c96c85f16f6dffae3947ea931cd5436c70b7f6 no

LOL!
Finally... I was waiting for this day for a while :)
All votes yes.
I would be for maintance as well.
This is a fundamental proposal.

Allow me to voice my opinion:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooot! Woooot!

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Pablo.

Shame it isn't Electrum Mobile Dash Wallet. Don't understand why there's so much emphasis on desktop wallets.

If it's for masternodes I would imagine desktop wallets would be more prevalent.

Why? What makes a desktop wallet more appropriate? A mobile MN wallet can use Trezor with a suitable cable, or better still, don't need a hardware wallet if using Ledger Trustlet (see Play Store). Not to mention, built in camera for scanning paper private keys and not having to worry about suitable camera drivers etc. Add built in MN monitoring and I'd say that's far more practical than a clumsy old school desktop wallet.

GrandMasterDash - no one prevents you from building mobile wallet :). Simply do it :)

All I said was, there's too much emphasis on desktop wallets and that mobile should be the way to go.

I did actually vote for this simply because of the low price. I'd much rather vote for mobile projects though.

@babygiraffe I've been devoting more time to electrum and I have two suggestions for the contract:

1. Their should be a way to lock the 1000 MN input but move the MN reward, just like there is in Dash Core.
2. There should be a way to create more addresses. This is not as important as the last but if there is a way to create addresses at will, I have not found it.

Pablo.

There should be a way to lock the 1000 MN input but move the MN reward, just like there is in Dash Core.
I came here to level precisely this inquiry.

If I have to bust out my privkeys into Dash Core to spend off those inputs, why did I bother with the Trezor?

I need the ability to select the "mined" inputs and send them out, or it's rather self-defeating since I have to re-expose all the time...

Easy there is a way to do it.

How to: Label "addresses" right click on the address of the masternode and choose "Send from" and remove the inputs you do not want to touch. ;)

Cheers @camosoul

I came here to level precisely this inquiry.

If I have to bust out my privkeys into Dash Core to spend off those inputs, why did I bother with the Trezor?

I need the ability to select the "mined" inputs and send them out, or it's rather self-defeating since I have to re-expose all the time...

This is why I liked the "donations" feature before it was removed. I could have the payouts automatically mined to a different address.

@nmarley check post #14 ;) there is a way to do it...

Unless there's a way to have MN payouts go to a different address than the 1000 Dash collateral address, there's not a way to do what I want.

Because I don't want to even access those keys to spend MN payouts.

Well the donation address was susspend during the budgeting feature. Don't know if we can have it again or is it dead forever. Think @UdjinM6 can explain it better.

Well the donation address was susspend during the budgeting feature. Don't know if we can have it again or is it dead forever. Think @UdjinM6 can explain it better.

I have no idea tbh. All I can say it had some security issues https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/v12-testing-thread.5484/page-23#post-57691 but I can hardly remember what kind of issues exactly... :oops:
@eduffield ?

The security issues made sense actually, because if anyone got a hold of the masternode.conf they could update it with a new donation address value without having to know the users' password. Then later a user could just re-start the nodes without looking at the masternode.conf (because they would assume nobody messed with it) and the payments now go somewhere else.

I'm just saying it was *easier* without having to use my collateral TX keys to move the smaller MN payouts, to say, an Electrum-Dash wallet. But I agree that it's not as secure with the donations feature.

Back