• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal : Burnt Hamster Minestrone

Thanks @Biltong

I am new to the proposal process, but I do have a marketing background, have been running advertising for family biz since I returned to Ohio in 2012.
I am a fuzzy hippie poet/writer type, but that is not my only skillset. I used to sit in on conversations my boss had with Jay Abraham at $1000 per session
in the 90s and have kept up with direct/offline marketing methods ever since.

Hi AgnewPickens,

This is your first report,

(Checked for English) PEC Report Leonidas and Semarg for Agnewpickens - Evaluation 1 - Final v03.png

Couple of notes:
  • There is NO pass/failure mark. The percentage simply allows us to create a Prioritized List of Evaluated Proposals. The idea being that a MNO with very little time can concentrate on Proposals at the bottom of the list only. MNO’s with more time will obviously look at all proposals as per normal
  • The evaluation also enables the Evaluators to look for scammers etc and red-flag a proposal that is a possible danger to Dash. They have more time and tools to look for the tell-tale signs.
  • How did the Evaluators decide on marks: PEC Evaluator Guidelines https://goo.gl/Futw1d
  • MNO’s have been very lenient in the past. So even if you have, what you might consider a low mark, you might still pass the Vote ;)
  • Most Important: The evaluation is to give you an idea of where you can improve your proposal to have a better chance of earning MNO votes.

When you improve your proposal, please color all new material in red and don’t delete any word/sentence, but use strike through or underline. This will make it easier for the evaluator to find changes, when she or he re-evaluates your improved proposal. The MNO’s will also so be interested to see what you changed to improve your proposal.

Since you were unlucky enough to submit your Pre-Proposal just as the PEC started, you had a handicap: You did not know the importance of the Dash Project Proposal Template https://goo.gl/m0jgfS .

This Template was created some years ago by the MNO’s to get all the information that they need to make an informed decision. It is also the easiest way for you to earn extra marks ;) If your proposal did not cover a question in the Template – just put the Heading and answer in your detail doc. If your proposal does cover the question: Just put the Heading with the words: See original Proposal.
E.g.: Project Scope - Milestones and Schedule: See original Proposal.

We know this is a painful bureaucratic exercise, but once you’ve done your improvements for this 1st one, the next couple of improvements (maybe just one?) will be easy, and of course – you are bound to have more proposals in the future!

Good luck

To address the question of Responsiveness, print media is very popular in my area and this project has local artists and writers who are also involved in small merchant efforts of their own, the Dash advertising on the back will be seen not only by those that actually purchase the magazine but also any potential purchasers as well as any persons that purchasers choose to share their magazine with, as a quarterly publication, it has a high shelf life and the Dash ad is the only advertising in the Arts&Lit mag. The QR code allows non-buyers to find the Dashforce website.

Additionally, the magazine gives me a foot in the door with independent merchants who serve not only the Millennial customer base they enjoy, but nostalgic Baby Boomers. There has been a resurgence of interest in retro items like vinyl records and cassette tapes as well as comic books in my geographic area.

Merchants who take on my magazine will then be on my targeted list for the POS system that is still in Beta testing for my next issue's distribution and that subject will be broached with each independent merchant in the alternative lifestyle sector as well as coffee shops, cafes & independent bookstores which have all made a resurgence in my area of Ohio. I expect to limit a merchant to 25 copies so that I can have a wide geographic distribution in my area of North Central OH.

The risk/reward is thus based on my ability to sell myself in a market where I am already recognized as an Ohio poet of some standing and my lifelong sales ability.

I have just woken, I have downloaded the template, but wanted to reply immediately to your two main concerns.

And my experience is as a lifelong writer, first in advertising hearing aids as a marketing director, and then as a creative writer, so I have been involved in print media in one form or another since the early 1980s. The quote I requested from the local printers was one to my exact specifications, 28 pound paper, 11X17 collated and folded to sit on merchant counters like a newspaper. Our family hearing aid business has had printing done with them for decades and I have managed those projects, such as direct mail postcards and flyers.

Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/michael.veloff/friends?lst=1121982583:1121982583:1498250838&source_ref=pb_friends_tl

I could have raised the money for printing with zero advertising from my FB contact list of nearly 2000 writers and artists with a fiat crowdfunding campaign, but I believe in Dash as a fiat alternative so strongly, that I CHOSE to try this avenue first. I will not remove the ad from my first issue should my proposal fail, as I believe strongly in Dash' potential to replace fiat.

And as for my expertise in the publishing field, I discovered a 3rd party distribution & royalty scam with my 1st volume of poetry published on Amazon's Createspace that resulted in my successfully getting Amazon/Createspace to retire my two volumes of poetry from their network.

jTKO4x6.jpg

You can read the full complaint I filed with the posted record number after tracking down the corporate headquarters for Amazon & Createspace who are both incorporated in the State of Washington. So maybe, I know two three things about publishing and print media.

Shall I fill out the template and post it here or start a separate thread for it?

Last edited:
Please 1) use EDIT button instead of posting tons of new messages 2) do not over-use text color option, highlight only really important part, not the whole message

Sorry about that @UdjinM6 , am sick with a toothache and have an endoscopy on Monday, so my powers of concentration are not their best right now. Shall I post template here or start a separate thread?

Sorry about that @UdjinM6 , am sick with a toothache and have an endoscopy on Monday, so my powers of concentration are not their best right now. Shall I post template here or start a separate thread?
I'm not quite following but I guess it's better to keep all related things together unless you'd like to have completely separate discussion about this template. It's up to you really.

I'm not quite following but I guess it's better to keep all related things together unless you'd like to have completely separate discussion about this template. It's up to you really.
I thought you were requesting me to fill out the template, or have I addressed enough of the issues that I can skip that and use the template for my next proposal?

PM'd to @Biltong

"Hello Sir,
I have read your report and thank your team for their assistance in preparing it. Do I need to start a new thread with the template or shall I simply attach it to the end of my existing thread?
Thanks in advance,
Michael Veloff
"

Thanx Michael :)

No - keep it here - all on one thread
The evaluators will send you a new report once you have made changes - remember to inform your evaluator
All questions/comments etc on this thread itself.
Thanx &
Good luck

Last edited:
My assistant editor is putting a couple of the early copies at the Marion County Public Library. I have a great team. I will be going to The Ohio State University of Mansfield campus bookstore where I got my BA in English in 2001. And I will be adding Dash as a payment option to my domain that is being converted from blog on WP to merchant website. Have already paid 0.5 Dash to a WP coding friend outside Columbus OH to begin work. My first real life Dash spend. So there WILL be at least one merchant accepting Dash in my area. Me. And I have to drive my mom's car from Ohio to Scottsdale AZ so if I am funded and printed by Mid July, I can drop copies off at stops along the way. 4 or 5 Day drive, I expect, 3 at the least, with my assistant editor, Ben Ditmars. He is also my junior partner in a book project we have been acting as agents for a UK author, the book is still sitting in 9 A piles with big publishers. Sexs, Droogs, Music: Nowt But Madness Left.

https://www.facebook.com/Sex-Droogs-Music-Nowt-But-Madness-Left-1134788403296229/

Just beginning to promote the page for promo we sent to publishers last summer, in final edit for serializing memoir first part to get a bigger offer from publishers who haven't responded, only one outright rejection to our promo.

Last edited:
Hello AgnewPickens,

Please allow me some comments on the second report provided by the PEC team and posted above by @Semarg.

Thanks to new information provided, congrats, you managed to improve your grade in some areas :).

However, it is absolutely needed that you edit your first post and include those new informations in it. Plus you would also need to present your proposal based on the Dash Proposal Template so has to bring more clarity to your proposal.

The samples should be also included in the 1st post you made. To increase the quality of your samples, you could provide them in a thumbnail and try to give as much as written information on them so that readers can understand what the samples are (front page ? Page 1 ? 2 ?).

A clean shot of the front page of your magazine and then some samples relevant to Dash presence would be nice. Could you precise if those are mockups or are final version of what you did.

You’ve provided many precisions about your experience and expertise. However any tangible proof you could provide would probably increase your grade. Could you provide some links or some clear indication on how to check the information you provided ?

Hoping that would help you

Leonidas

Last edited:
Surgeon took two biopsies from stomach and esophagus, colonoscopy clear,
I will use template for next proposal, sorry about sloppy proposal, my partner just
got an order for 5 copies. Too wiped out right now to do anything. Will try again
tomorrow. He told me they paid $15 cash for 5 of the first 100 copies, the ones the
printing company quoted me will be on 28# paper stock, collated & folded without
staples.

Last edited:
Ulcers from H. Pilori, I suspect, stress of my mom's health problems, I suspect, but I am still chugging along,
already getting submissions for next issue. I may not get out that much, why I hired younger assistants,
but I just keep doing what I love, writing and creating. Got over the anesthesia hangover. See if I can
add more to proposal on this last day. Just woke up. My proposal rating has the same digits as my area
code, LOL, just in different order, LOL. Mine is 419, my fiancee still has her Florida Area Code, 941, weird.

Back