Proposal : Burnt Hamster Minestrone

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
I have kept #proposals channel updated on the progress of the first issue of my Undergound Press, Burnt Hamster Publishing's arts&lit mag. I will attach photos of front and back page of this full color 8 page 11X17 inch printing to be distributed throughout North Central & Central Ohio.

The magazine was all hand laid out Cut Up style.

Expenses for production:
4 packs of cigarettes (j/k) we'd've smoked those anyways
One meal to meet for first time at Tim Horton's at Galion (w/coupons) $ 15
1 set of Epson ink catridges preparing galleys $ 90
100 copies sent to contributors as payment plus some to circulate $ 225
50 copies of front and back page to approach vendors with $ 30
Materials, paper & supplies $ 50

Total material costs for production $ 410

Burnt Hamster team labor and layout services for production $ 1600
(about 80 total man/hrs of labor @ $20/hr)

To be distributed thus:
Michael Veloff Publisher $ 650
Casey Taylor Art Director $ 600
Ben Ditmars Ass't Editor $ 350

Cost to promote and distribute (projected) $ 1200

Artists and writers who submitted to the project received 5 each of the 100 copies, but I would love to be able to pay them 0.1 Dash as well if I can get them into a Jaxx wallet, maybe for second issue which currently getting submissions in until July 31st.

I priced the high quality printing for 1000, 1500 & 2000 copies, but I will have no trouble getting 1500 copies distributed to small independent retailers. I have hit upon the idea of asking stores I already do business with, like Relax, It's Just Coffee, Main Street Books and Adult Videoi Visions in Mansfield OH for shop trade credit since that is as good as cash for me and the shops don't have to put any money in so it will make getting small retailers much easier to approach, calling another meeting with my team next weekend to discuss distribution and work on next issue.

When Kodaxx finishes his POS software for retailers, will be approaching the retailers that take in the magazine to sign up.

Printing costs:

2000 @ 0.98 cents including local tax. $ 1960

Total funds requested Total funding $ 5170 USD

100 signed and numbered and another hundred not signed and number have been invoice offered to Philadashsia for his Dash SNJ website. No other signed copies will be numbered and we are limiting this to one press run.

200 will be saved for Burnt Hamster archival purposes.

25 will be sent Certified Mail to Donald Truimp at the White House (3rd page is devoted to Trump and Freedom) as part of the ongoing artist and writer mail campaign.

That leaves us with about the 1500 we are likely to get distributed with this first isse.

Will submit a separate proposal for next issue, guaranteeing no other advertisers for the next 3 issues (I'd like to do at least 5 if I can hold my heard of butterflies together, LOL)

Michael J. Veloff
Burnt Hamster Publishing
1059 Bucyrus Rd
Galion OH 44833-1513
Mobile: (419) 566-9069
Email: [email protected]

Last edited:

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
OK, can't see how to attach photos but they are in dashnation slack #proposals

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
These are only half the pages, figured that is enough to give you the flavor as they take up so much space.

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
And the fixed the form filler for dates on proposal site, posted my 5 Dash fee. Have at her.

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
Why it makes sense to print 2000 copies, only $424 difference plus local tax of 7.5%

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
Market segment we are going after:

Targeted at millennials and hipsters and, nostalgic boomerrs, based on the retro feel of 60s Cut Up underground mags. I will have no problem selling a couple hundred in my area alone, as I am a local legend among the hipsters here but my partner is going to reach down into Columbus OH market and my art director, Casey, will be back hitting the festivals as soon as she gets over her fight with her boyfriend.
Ben Ditmars, junior partner in Burnt Hamster, still has a lot to learn, but handy to have around as a young writer whose dad is an accountant.

Millennials are prime adopters for Dash

Last edited:

Biltong

Mar 22, 2017
Dash Address
XmPNBEQyaVNyFudWL3hhhcWfkdYK6T9nCF
Proposal Evaluation Committee

Hi Agnew

As you know Dash is growing every day.
To deal with the increased number of proposal, a Proposal Evaluation Committee (PEC) has been created. This work is being done by volunteers (mostly Master Node Owners themselves).
I see you have posted already - so just a headsup

The Dash Network actually have had a Dash Project Proposal Template for a number of years and we try to get the pre-proposal owner to read and stick to it, as it includes every useful information for a MNO (Masternode Owner) to take an informed decision before voting on whether to pass your proposal or not.
If you have not done this yet, please read: How to submit a Dash Pre-Proposal https://goo.gl/7jmwXQ
As you adjust your Pre-Proposal to our feedback, the evaluation is adjusted and this may be done a number of times (up to 4 or more).
Each time the chance of your Proposal being accepted by the MNO’s will increase.

If you want to know who will be doing the Evaluations – see here: Official PEC Pre-P https://goo.gl/qrbeXK

The evaluations also have another function:
To give the MNO’s and community a Prioritized List of Evaluated Proposals. This list will save the MNO’s and everyone else time and increase the chance of your proposal gaining votes. It will also prevent your proposal from getting lost amongst the horde or prevent it from not being read, because it’s too long or non-conforming.
Whether you accept our help or not: we will be doing Reports on all Pre-Proposals near the end of the cycle to prepare the Prioritized List of Evaluated Proposals.

If you do want to use our services (note this is a free service)
1. Please Private Message @Biltong on the Dash Pre + Budget Proposal Discussions Forum indicating that you want the help of the PEC, so we can assign a team to you.
2. Once you have read How to submit a Dash Pre-Proposal https://goo.gl/7jmwXQ you might want to adjust your Pre-Proposal before we submit our 1st Evaluation, so we’ll wait for you to give us the go-ahead before we start the evaluation process.
3. Again, PM @Biltong when you are ready for the 1st Evaluation.
4. Please note that we do not have that much time to give you feedback via the Evaluations. The final report has to be in 3 days before end of cycle and you have to have your last adjustments in 5 days before end of cycle : i.e.: Last Adjustments: 28 June.
5. We hope to receive at least 3 updates from you (if necessary) and provide you with the same number of Evaluation/Report feedbacks, but it does mean you and us will have to start asap.
6. To adjust your Pre-Proposal for the 1st evaluation will be a time consuming (+- 2 hours of work), but believe me it will be well worth your time if you are serious about getting your Proposal passed.

Good luck with your Proposal!

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
I have pmed you @Biltong , very time stressed with my mother's ongoing health issues. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Biltong

Mar 22, 2017
Dash Address
Sorry to hear this Agnew. A PEC Evaluator will post a Report quite soon
Good luck and I hope your mom gets better soon :)

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
Thanks @Biltong

I am new to the proposal process, but I do have a marketing background, have been running advertising for family biz since I returned to Ohio in 2012.
I am a fuzzy hippie poet/writer type, but that is not my only skillset. I used to sit in on conversations my boss had with Jay Abraham at $1000 per session
in the 90s and have kept up with direct/offline marketing methods ever since.

Leonidas

Oct 22, 2016
Hi AgnewPickens,

This is your first report,

(Checked for English) PEC Report Leonidas and Semarg for Agnewpickens - Evaluation 1 - Final v03.png

Couple of notes:
  • There is NO pass/failure mark. The percentage simply allows us to create a Prioritized List of Evaluated Proposals. The idea being that a MNO with very little time can concentrate on Proposals at the bottom of the list only. MNO’s with more time will obviously look at all proposals as per normal
  • The evaluation also enables the Evaluators to look for scammers etc and red-flag a proposal that is a possible danger to Dash. They have more time and tools to look for the tell-tale signs.
  • How did the Evaluators decide on marks: PEC Evaluator Guidelines https://goo.gl/Futw1d
  • MNO’s have been very lenient in the past. So even if you have, what you might consider a low mark, you might still pass the Vote ;)
  • Most Important: The evaluation is to give you an idea of where you can improve your proposal to have a better chance of earning MNO votes.

When you improve your proposal, please color all new material in red and don’t delete any word/sentence, but use strike through or underline. This will make it easier for the evaluator to find changes, when she or he re-evaluates your improved proposal. The MNO’s will also so be interested to see what you changed to improve your proposal.

Since you were unlucky enough to submit your Pre-Proposal just as the PEC started, you had a handicap: You did not know the importance of the Dash Project Proposal Template https://goo.gl/m0jgfS .

This Template was created some years ago by the MNO’s to get all the information that they need to make an informed decision. It is also the easiest way for you to earn extra marks ;) If your proposal did not cover a question in the Template – just put the Heading and answer in your detail doc. If your proposal does cover the question: Just put the Heading with the words: See original Proposal.
E.g.: Project Scope - Milestones and Schedule: See original Proposal.

We know this is a painful bureaucratic exercise, but once you’ve done your improvements for this 1st one, the next couple of improvements (maybe just one?) will be easy, and of course – you are bound to have more proposals in the future!

Good luck

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
To address the question of Responsiveness, print media is very popular in my area and this project has local artists and writers who are also involved in small merchant efforts of their own, the Dash advertising on the back will be seen not only by those that actually purchase the magazine but also any potential purchasers as well as any persons that purchasers choose to share their magazine with, as a quarterly publication, it has a high shelf life and the Dash ad is the only advertising in the Arts&Lit mag. The QR code allows non-buyers to find the Dashforce website.

Additionally, the magazine gives me a foot in the door with independent merchants who serve not only the Millennial customer base they enjoy, but nostalgic Baby Boomers. There has been a resurgence of interest in retro items like vinyl records and cassette tapes as well as comic books in my geographic area.

Merchants who take on my magazine will then be on my targeted list for the POS system that is still in Beta testing for my next issue's distribution and that subject will be broached with each independent merchant in the alternative lifestyle sector as well as coffee shops, cafes & independent bookstores which have all made a resurgence in my area of Ohio. I expect to limit a merchant to 25 copies so that I can have a wide geographic distribution in my area of North Central OH.

The risk/reward is thus based on my ability to sell myself in a market where I am already recognized as an Ohio poet of some standing and my lifelong sales ability.

I have just woken, I have downloaded the template, but wanted to reply immediately to your two main concerns.

And my experience is as a lifelong writer, first in advertising hearing aids as a marketing director, and then as a creative writer, so I have been involved in print media in one form or another since the early 1980s. The quote I requested from the local printers was one to my exact specifications, 28 pound paper, 11X17 collated and folded to sit on merchant counters like a newspaper. Our family hearing aid business has had printing done with them for decades and I have managed those projects, such as direct mail postcards and flyers.

Last edited:

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
https://www.facebook.com/michael.veloff/friends?lst=1121982583:1121982583:1498250838&source_ref=pb_friends_tl

I could have raised the money for printing with zero advertising from my FB contact list of nearly 2000 writers and artists with a fiat crowdfunding campaign, but I believe in Dash as a fiat alternative so strongly, that I CHOSE to try this avenue first. I will not remove the ad from my first issue should my proposal fail, as I believe strongly in Dash' potential to replace fiat.

And as for my expertise in the publishing field, I discovered a 3rd party distribution & royalty scam with my 1st volume of poetry published on Amazon's Createspace that resulted in my successfully getting Amazon/Createspace to retire my two volumes of poetry from their network.

You can read the full complaint I filed with the posted record number after tracking down the corporate headquarters for Amazon & Createspace who are both incorporated in the State of Washington. So maybe, I know two three things about publishing and print media.

Shall I fill out the template and post it here or start a separate thread for it?

Last edited:

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
Please 1) use EDIT button instead of posting tons of new messages 2) do not over-use text color option, highlight only really important part, not the whole message

Reactions: AgnewPickens

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
Sorry about that @UdjinM6 , am sick with a toothache and have an endoscopy on Monday, so my powers of concentration are not their best right now. Shall I post template here or start a separate thread?

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
Sorry about that @UdjinM6 , am sick with a toothache and have an endoscopy on Monday, so my powers of concentration are not their best right now. Shall I post template here or start a separate thread?
I'm not quite following but I guess it's better to keep all related things together unless you'd like to have completely separate discussion about this template. It's up to you really.

AgnewPickens

Mar 11, 2017
I'm not quite following but I guess it's better to keep all related things together unless you'd like to have completely separate discussion about this template. It's up to you really.
I thought you were requesting me to fill out the template, or have I addressed enough of the issues that I can skip that and use the template for my next proposal?

Biltong

Mar 22, 2017
Dash Address
PM'd to @Biltong

"Hello Sir,
I have read your report and thank your team for their assistance in preparing it. Do I need to start a new thread with the template or shall I simply attach it to the end of my existing thread?
Thanks in advance,
Michael Veloff
"

Thanx Michael :)

No - keep it here - all on one thread
The evaluators will send you a new report once you have made changes - remember to inform your evaluator
All questions/comments etc on this thread itself.
Thanx &
Good luck

Last edited:

Semarg

Jun 7, 2017
Hello, Michael! We will re-evaluate your proposal shortly, thank you for feedback.