Procedure to sweep a paper wallet into Dash Core

May 18, 2017
Hi,
I have Dash Core version v0.12.1.3 (on a 64-bit Windows PC) which has never been used (neither to send nor to receive). The question is, how do I sweep one of my Dash paper wallets into the Dash Core wallet? (I've no passphrases for the paper wallets, just the public and private keys.)
Or, a welcome intermediate alternative would be an online wallet site that would let me enter the private key to sweep funds into the online wallet.
Thanks!

Last edited:

ilia_2s

Oct 3, 2015
do not use any online wallets, when you input your privkey to unknown service you will provide access to your money.

To import your data into dash core wallet:
1) open dashcore wallet
2) enter tools-> debug console menu
3) use importpubkey "YOUR_KEY" and importprivkey "YOUR_KEY" commands to import your wallet

May 18, 2017
So, using a random (not from my actual collection of paper wallets!) public key as an example, the command to import a public key into my Dash Core wallet would be:
importpubkey XboykLQiKvuD4mXRtUa6dpMuypnEkJWPaF
Correct?
I see in the Help listing of commands for importpubkey:
importpubkey "pubkey" ( "label" rescan )
The items to the right of importpubkey "pubkey" are optional? What do they do?
Sorry to ask such newbie questions but I don't see any examples in Dash Core's debug area

Last edited:
May 18, 2017
When attempting to import the public key of a cold storage wallet, I typed this (the public key as displayed below has had some characters changed before posting this question)

importpubkey XnteirR5wooccBkoZ7hLnw9Fzdyxpu2sxr

and the system returned this error message:
Pubkey must be a hex string (code -5)

But I went ahead and did importprivkey and it worked, so apparently there's really no need to import the public key.

Thanks again!

Last edited: