• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

(Pre-prosal) The Dash Board: A Problem Solving Arm for Dash

Is there a Need for this DAO?

• yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • maybe so - more details needed

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

jeg888

About me:

My name is Josh. I'm a New York attorney (4.5 years out of law school) and am passionate about Dash and cryptocurrencies. Since graduating law school, I have worked for both large and small companies. I have worked in-house and have argued before courts. In that sense, I am extremely lucky. Because I have not specialized, I have been able to gain deeper legal and business understandings relative to my peers. Although my primary focus is contract law, I have garnered experience in other areas such as alternative dispute-resolution, mediation, business divorce, privacy, regulatory compliance, international compliance, estate planning, and more.

I am very passionate about solving problems in the most efficient and beneficial way. I usually compare my law degree to a (very expensive) screw driver. It's a tool to build something. It's not the tool that matters, but what it builds. If a better and more useful tool comes along, the fact that I invested so much in that screw driver should not matter.

I invested in Cryptocurrencies starting in late 2014. Not only did I see it as a potential investment which hedges against the ROI of my law degree, but I truly believe it can revolutionize the world. Cryptocurrency can bring the world financial freedom and end the concentration of power and financial manipulation. Getting involved one way or another is important to me.

But enough about me (just wanted the community to get a sense of who I am). I come to the Dash community to propose a new Dash mini-DAO aimed at managing and solving certain critical areas.

Dash Board (Name Pending):
I don’t possess an intimate knowledge of the ins and outs of the existing Dash DAOs – but I can imagine that their resources are too extended to adequately address the issues detailed below. From what I understand, Dash Core focuses on bringing us the best product and pushing their vision for Dash, and Dash Labs focuses on long term development and strategy.

The Dash Treasury and Masternodes review and fund projects which, in theory, will further the visions and strategies outlined by Dash Core and Dash Labs, as well as the visions and ideals of the Masternode owners, who have a vested (staked) interest in seeing Dash succeed.

However, adequately carrying-out the responsibilities of a MN owner can be a daunting task for those who may not have the time and resources to properly vet independent projects. Further, once funds are released to project leaders, Dash is extremely limited in enforcing their promises. Although the treasury and MN system has brought Dash immense benefits, it also has - at times - led to a frustrated community, unfulfilled projects, hastily approved/denied projects, and voids in certain market areas.

The Dash Board can remedy these issues by focusing on vetting, contracting, managing and enforcing treasury projects.

Although I can see a potential for greater responsibility of the Dash Board, it needs to first earn the trust and respect of the community before a more ambitious organization is funded. Therefore, the Dash Board MVP would take on the following tasks:

- Proposal Review

- Cost/Benefit Analysis

- Interview and vet with certain Project Leaders

- Propose redlines/counter-proposals (regarding Project price & scope)

- Create “form contracts”

- Negotiate & tailor agreements (for larger projects)

- Manage legal counsels (if outside counsel is needed)

- And, identify market needs and propose bounty proposals

As the DAO grows, so can its role in other areas such as administration, compliance, research, advocacy, etc. As workload and resources are not fully known at this time, I presume that the Dash Board would focus primarily on the more important projects, in terms of price and market need, and address lesser projects as resources are freed.

The benefit of this DAO is that it promotes the efficiency of furthering Dash's vision and gives Dash greater enforcement power over its Treasury Funds. It would give MN’s a quasi-board-of-directors, without compromising their voting power.

Additionally, the Dash Board would be accountable to the other Dash DAOs and MN owners – and will conduct meetings and interviews with representatives as needed.

In terms of $Dash

Today’s Dash price: 272

This Pre-Proposal is almost a pre-pre-proposal, in the sense that feedback is needed before a more detailed plan with funding amounts can be proposed. Feedback is needed for the DAO’s direction, number of employees, employee roles, and DAO leaders. Obviously, I would like to be a part of the team.

I can suggest that it begins with at least three employees, inclusive of an administrative assistant. At moderately-competitive salaries, and a place to operate out of, I can guess that the Dash Board DAO would require a one-time mobilization fee of 75 DASH and a monthly payment of 75 DASH (inclusive of salaries), adjusted as needed.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Its a more than needed proposal. The complexity of the projects is just to much for MNO to evaluate correctly. And its gonna be harder with the budget increasing.

Hey! Let me start off this whole thing.

First, I would like to suggest that this thing might be a bit premature. This is one of the most important (if not the most important) aspects of the Dash ecosystem, and it's not likely that you'll be able to secure the trust of the masternodes being so new, unless you've been operating under a different name that I might've missed.

Second, I would strongly encourage you to familiarize yourself with the community and ecosystem first before taking a stab at solving its problems. There's a few similar projects that are being undertaken to address these sorts of concerns right now, and it would help to not have everyone tripping over each other, but rather work in conjunction.

I dont know if its really important that an evaluation team is from the dash community. Maybe an outsider without skin in the game can be more objective.

I dont know if its really important that an evaluation team is from the dash community. Maybe an outsider without skin in the game can be more objective.

Well familiarity with subject material is a definite must. No one would trust a single word I wrote if I never used crypto.

Well familiarity with subject material is a definite must. No one would trust a single word I wrote if I never used crypto.

I completely understand the concern. I am fairly familiar with Dash and the community, although I've been way more than an observer than an active voice. I don't expect instant trust - and view the proposal and the DAO as more of an ancillary arm to existing DAOs (working in tandem) and growing as trust is earned.

I think its a cheap enough proposal to take a chance. We need a solution ASAP. The risk from their side is greater, if the proposal is defunded after a month, theres a lot of devellopement that goes down the drain.

I completely understand the concern. I am fairly familiar with Dash and the community, although I've been way more than an observer than an active voice. I don't expect instant trust - and view the proposal and the DAO as more of an ancillary arm to existing DAOs (working in tandem) and growing as trust is earned.

Yeah, which is why I kind of expected someone thinking of putting forth this kind of proposal would be active in the ongoing discussion happening in the community on the matter before putting together a proposal, particularly with current projects to address this exact issue. Have you been in contact with Paragon or the Mason brothers?

My current understanding of the Masternode Network is that they have a greater desire for better *evaluation tools* and *objective feedback systems* rather than specific, spoon-fed evaluations from outside sources. I would recommend a no vote to this proposal as-is. This is *especially true* because of the "Negotiate" and "Manage" portions of the proposal. I think you've misunderstood your audience with these offerings.

My head is starting to spin with all the proposal ideas being thrown around to help with these governance issues -- proposal evaluation, followup, escrow, legal. Between Paragon, DashForce, the Mason brothers, Green candle, other pre-proposals and this, our solutions are getting as complicated as our problems. I like the name though, Dash Board sounds great :)

My head is starting to spin with all the proposal ideas being thrown around to help with these governance issues -- proposal evaluation, followup, escrow, legal. Between Paragon, DashForce, the Mason brothers, Green candle, other pre-proposals and this, our solutions are getting as complicated as our problems. I like the name though, Dash Board sounds great :)
Agreed. This is a natural reciprocal network effect. The roots of the network (strongest foundations) are growing toward the "water source" (treasury governance). Head-spinning aside, I'd recommend processing the merits of each individually, but also within the context of one another.

Personally, I would like to advocate for a video/audio-recorded group discussion of all of the above listed proposal owners. I would love to personally see, and/or facilitate such a discussion, and I would be happy to build a collective agenda for such a "round-table" or "panel" discussion (whether or not I facilitated it). I would also like to suggest that we take questions submitted by MN owners, DASH HODLers, MINERS, and MERCHANTS (self-identified as such) both ahead of time, and live, so that we can round-out the discussions with community perspectives. Also, I would like to recommend the community suggest additional panel members for the recorded discussions. Maybe Amanda B Johnson, Joe Moraca, and others?

Agreed. This is a natural reciprocal network effect. The roots of the network (strongest foundations) are growing toward the "water source" (treasury governance). Head-spinning aside, I'd recommend processing the merits of each individually, but also within the context of one another.

Personally, I would like to advocate for a video/audio-recorded group discussion of all of the above listed proposal owners. I would love to personally see, and/or facilitate such a discussion, and I would be happy to build a collective agenda for such a "round-table" or "panel" discussion (whether or not I facilitated it). I would also like to suggest that we take questions submitted by MN owners, DASH HODLers, MINERS, and MERCHANTS (self-identified as such) both ahead of time, and live, so that we can round-out the discussions with community perspectives. Also, I would like to recommend the community suggest additional panel members for the recorded discussions. Maybe Amanda B Johnson, Joe Moraca, and others?

Thanks for the feedback.

I just Skyped Paragon (awesome guy) for an hour - and he definitely gave me a better understanding of what's currently underway and what the community wants.

My intention isn't to push any particular agenda or proposal - just saw the need and wanted to put my two cents in and give a sense of what I could potentially bring to the table.

I would still like to get involved in some manner. Maybe I could provide ancillary legal services to similar proposals.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just Skyped Paragon (awesome guy) for an hour - and he definitely gave me a better understanding of what's currently underway and what the community wants.

My intention isn't to push any particular agenda or proposal - just saw the need and wanted to put my two cents in and give a sense of what I could potentially bring to the table.

I would still like to get involved in some manner. Maybe I could provide ancillary legal services to similar proposals.

Fantastic! this isn't something I can personally give a lot of attention, but I would highly recommend that you collaborate and draw lines in the sand around what areas to which you would prefer to contribute. For my part, I can act as a facilitator for Core and hopefully devise a method to collect better input & feedback into this critical next-stage of our governance systems, which I'm loosely calling "evaluation and accountability metrics".

Great ideas and timely inventions are often spontaneously and independently generated when the need hits a critical mass. I think that's what we're seeing here.

And everybody in the Dash universe would love to see more and better analytical tools to evaluate proposals, and more and better tools to bring accountability to the successful proposal winners. RIGHT AWAY!

As much as I like instant gratification, I agree with Chuck that there are a bunch of ideas and people and resources swirling around with no obvious way to use them in the most effective way possible. Green Candle has a functional escrow service. Great! We need that. Paragon has some great ideas about streamlining the reporting/accountability/assessment process for proposal winners. Great! We need that too. Josh has an ambitious plan that addresses both evaluating proposals and holding proposal owners more accountable and brings (I believe a critically important) legal perspective to the table, but is flexible about it. Yes! we need that too.

I have no idea if these three initiatives will produce the next leap forward in Treasury governance.

Let's give ourselves permission to study this and try out different arrangements or cooperatives. As much as I want to take over the payments sector of the whole world tomorrow, I recognize that we will probably get a better finished product if the people involved had time to look at how they complement each other, how much overlap is there? What structural relationship would work the best? How much value would this new thing bring to the Dash ecosystem, and what would it cost to implement it?

Let's lock all you people in a room, digital or otherwise and come up with a coherent plan that uses all of these resources, yet maintains that precious independent/decentralized component. And I like Chuck's idea to have community feed back as part of the process.

It doesn't have to all happen in this (or even the next) budget cycle. And because the Treasury is flexible and agile, we might revise it two or three times to work the kinks out.

Let's not forget, this has never been done before. It's ok to have uncertainties and unanswered questions. We'll get there.

Like others have mentioned, its a bit early to be going for this exact concept, and requires a bit more time to be part of the community.

I think there are a lot of needs for various legal aspects that some of these DAO projects need. Being available, payable in dash and a known advocate should put you in a better position then most lawyers. But by nature many of the entrepreneur types in this field are more likely to avoid legal issues then be proactive about them i would assume. Donating some of your time by helping outline the highest risk areas would probably lead to work etc. Sometimes a lawyer is needed for closing a deal, we are working with established businesses in a system where they need to feel legally safe.

As the overall dash Community we need to be one step ahead on legislation against crypto. It would be nice to start to build up some sort of lobbying effort. That way if the DAO decides there is a big issue to contend with we already have the framework to push back. Yes Dash is a international border-less hard to regulate thing but its still worth fighting the system in various countries.

I always thought it would be cool to have a legal retainer system for any merchant or business using dash. Sort of a community insurance program against any legal actions resulting from them accepting dash. Like a lawsuit from Visa, etc. Obviously with that you need a structure that extends to all jurisdictions. Basically a lawyer in every state.

Like others have mentioned, its a bit early to be going for this exact concept, and requires a bit more time to be part of the community.

I think there are a lot of needs for various legal aspects that some of these DAO projects need. Being available, payable in dash and a known advocate should put you in a better position then most lawyers. But by nature many of the entrepreneur types in this field are more likely to avoid legal issues then be proactive about them i would assume. Donating some of your time by helping outline the highest risk areas would probably lead to work etc. Sometimes a lawyer is needed for closing a deal, we are working with established businesses in a system where they need to feel legally safe.

As the overall dash Community we need to be one step ahead on legislation against crypto. It would be nice to start to build up some sort of lobbying effort. That way if the DAO decides there is a big issue to contend with we already have the framework to push back. Yes Dash is a international border-less hard to regulate thing but its still worth fighting the system in various countries.

I always thought it would be cool to have a legal retainer system for any merchant or business using dash. Sort of a community insurance program against any legal actions resulting from them accepting dash. Like a lawsuit from Visa, etc. Obviously with that you need a structure that extends to all jurisdictions. Basically a lawyer in every state.
For now, on legal matters I defer to @fernando - but I also have courtroom, patent, and project license evaluation experience. Legal matters are far from foreign to me, personally, and I assure you - the legal stance of Dash is beautiful! Just my humble opinion. ;-)

Nevertheless - I don't want to completely discount the value in public legal counsel on matters of project endeavors - there is DEFINITELY value in such analyses (plural).

@jeg888 follow my posts and you can contribute to a previous conversation because some of our efforts are overlapping, we are wasting too much human capital. I have been trying to keep the conversation smaller to keep track of who said what LOL. Now I am going to make it larger and just hope I can keep up.

Back