• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal | 'The DASH San Francisco Marathon 2018' - Title Sponsor & 'Official Payment Partner'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for context, though that doesn't mean that Tata Consultancy Services made any ROI from their investment, or that Dash should follow suit just how they did (this proposal doesn't mention an 8 year exclusive deal or even "presenting sponsor" -- just "official payment partner" so that is comparing apples and oranges.)

Also, you mention the NDA here, but technically even mentioning an NDA would be a breach of an NDA, right? Or what is the point of bringing that up is one of many questions...?

Hi Yoshimi––

Prior to sponsoring the New York City Marathon, Tata Consultancy Services was an unknown entity here in the US, with limited brand name recognition among the general public. In this, DASH has a similar marketing challenge.

The San Francisco Marathon has offered DASH title sponsorship so yes, we are both 'Presenting Sponsor' and 'Official Payment Partner' with exclusive naming rights.

Official Payment Partner has significant value––it presents DASH as an accredited payment gateway with a 'seal of approval' from TSFM.

We will sign an NDA to protect any DASH intellectual property.

Thank you.

Last edited:
This seems very interesting. Could you please tell us more details about it? Who are the influencers, how is it going to be that face-time, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi again Alejandro––

On a public forum such as this, TSFM are unable to divulge individual runner's names, but many SV companies field teams year-on-year. We understand Google currently has a large team in training.

Erin Nantell, TSFM Director of Strategic Partnerships will sign up to this Forum today to field these type of questions and add more context.

We propose a small group of Dash Core DAO Management fly in to attend the Race Expo as lead exhibitors (July 27/28), and Marathon Day sponsors (July 29) to commence the race with the traditional SF tram bell ringing. (A budget line item will include travel/accommodation included in Title Sponsor fee).

The Expo is an opportunity to connect with every runner (all 27,500 must attend to collect runner bib/RFID tags), and to engage 30,000 supporters/visitors/invited merchants. (Exhibit platform, all branding, DASH ATM rental, and booth space are included in Title sponsor fee).

6a00e5502b6df4883401b8d2e471f9970c-pi

TSFM will send tailored invitations to a select group of C-level / D-level runners to be DASH guests on race day. RFID-integrated VIP passes with name/company/title will allow guests access to the restaurant where we'll offer bag check/VIP bathrooms/warm-up sport massage/security detail. (We might consider a Lyft co-partnership with their DASH-accepting vehicles offering discounted/comp rides to race).

Already negotiated is first refusal on a complete buyout of Waterbar located on The Embarcadero waterfront just steps away from the start/finish line. The kitchens will open at 4am to serve complimentary refreshments/light breakfast. The race starts at 5:30am. Runners will be welcomed back after the race between 9am - 1pm for our DASH champagne celebration brunch. (Capacity: 180 people seated / 300 people standing).

Here is where TSFM will make introductions between Dash Management and our guests. We would hope the informal nature of the brunch would facilitate connections with Silicon Valley / tech influencers leading to deals and agreements.

A photo op DASH branded step-and-repeat would be placed on the second floor balcony for shots of runners holding their newly-minted DASH Marathon medals beneath sweeping views of the Bay Bridge.

Waterbar will accept DASH payments in the run-up to the race as a clause in the deal. DASH branding will be hung inside/outside the restaurant, and demo iPads available. (Buyout fee of $50,000 for 4am - 3pm includes food and beverage/gratuity/sales tax and is included in Title Sponsor fee).

This is a broad outline. We welcome any suggestions and comments.

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c95a3190970b-pi

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c95a318c970b-pi

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c95a317e970b-pi

Last edited:
Hello guys, thanks for bringing this proposal, but you should post here the budget and the fee for the advertising campaign. Also I would recommend to use escrow service.

Alejandro––

Specifically, the total media buy for pre-race marketing is $500k. (This is included in Title Sponsorship fee).

This sum includes a branded take-over of two major Muni Metro station hubs (Powell Street + one other). Also heavy penetration on bus sides / shelters throughout the SF transit system.

We further propose spreading % of the budget to include bus side ads on Santa Clara Valley Transportation running services throughout Silicon Valley. http://www.vta.org/realestate/advertising

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c95a45ad970b-pi

Renowned adventure photographer Christopher Wilson has, budget providing, agreed to create advertising imagery/film for the project.

https://www.christopherwilsonphotography.com/home

We are currently drawing up an estimate to include:
  • Shot list - 3-5 images of DASH runners in pre-race training to be used on bus sides / shelters
  • Video - drone team will film runners in pre-race training on Muir Beach, Sequoia Woods, Lombard Street etc. Scope/script/storyboard TBD.
  • Usage - Media/term/territory for images & video
  • Marathon Day access - post-race portrait set-up stations/aerial permission/clearance/releases
  • Runner's compensation & releases
  • Security, opportunities & limitations
  • Video edit/mix/finish
  • Travel & lodging
Video will be used as online content and as a mini-doc recording DASH promotion of TSFM for future marketing.

We will need some time to collect costs but hope to provide a ballpark bid soon.

Last edited:
To the DASH Community––

We have agreed engagement with Green Candle as escrow intermediary between DASH Treasury and The San Francisco Marathon.

'Green Candle protects the network by helping keep the proposal owners accountable to the network by making sure each proposal owner accomplishes each agreed deliverable prior to receiving the payouts for it’s proposal. This allows the network to enter into longer and higher valued proposals without increasing their risk of non-delivery.'

https://greencandle.io/

The San Francisco Marathon is a confirmed event to be run on Sunday, July 29.

http://www.thesfmarathon.com/the-races/full-marathon/

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c95a5fbc970b-pi

Last edited:
My opinion: Asking for 1200dash on this incredibly ineffective marketing method will kill the treasury budget.

My opinion: Asking for 1200dash on this incredibly ineffective marketing method will kill the treasury budget.

Hi Argon––

We take every opinion as an opportunity to pressure test our ideas, and we've asked ourselves the same question.

Digging deep into DASH brand DNA we arrived at MOMENTUM SPORTS as a fertile and, as yet, unowned opportunity space in crypto.

It's not our place to critique other proposals in a public forum (we're new around here), but it seems many valiant beginnings fall by the wayside and fail to deliver on promised goals.

He's what's beyond dispute:

- The San Francisco Marathon is going to happen on July 29.
- 60,000+ supporters will cheer from the sidelines.
- KPIX 5 is going to cover it live for 4 million viewers.
- The Expo will be attended by 27,500 runners and 30,000 visitors.
- San Francisco will be wall-to-wall with marathon advertising.
- TSFM (a merchant) is willing to accept a cryptocurrency as registration payment.
- Subordinate sponsors will be Air France, Capital One and Lyft.
- Thousands of employees in Fortune 50 tech companies will be running.
- Every high-profile runner will have the Title Sponsor's logo on their shirt.

This proposal may well push out others, for that we apologize, but that is the nature of an open voting system.

We posit the sum we are asking for will deliver on both awareness and adoption.

I hope we can turn you into a supporter!

Adrian

Last edited:
I know you dont care, but we do.

Submitting a proposal more than 1200 dash for a sponsorship will be voted down by a 200 vote margin.

I can confirm that Green Candle has been in contact with Adrian and agreed to provide escrow services for this project.

For the record, the Great American Pilgrimage project was funded with 2000 Dash in a single payment, so there is precedent for larger expenditures on sponsorship deals.

I know you dont care, but we do.

Submitting a proposal more than 1200 dash for a sponsorship will be voted down by a 200 vote margin.

Hi Argon––

We understand your valid budget concerns, and care very much about the discourse. This is the nature of a decentralized platform––many voices, many ideas.

But the goal here is adoption. Merchants accepting DASH, and consumers using it.

TSFM has a pre-existing audience in a state with over 40 million residents. We're not pitching a 'build-it-and-they-will-come' proposal. They're already coming. We just piggy-back on their event and brand equity.

Here's a CNBC headline from the future:

"For the first time this year, The San Francisco Marathon is accepting a major cryptocurrency, DASH, as payment registration."

Household Name take on challenging, never-been-done-before projects: putting a glider in space; flying paragliders off Mount Kilimanjaro; sponsoring a major marathon with crypto.

Do we think Treasury will fund us? We're naturally optimists, and willing to invest 5 Dash to find out.

Last edited:
To the DASH Community––

We're excited to announce The San Francisco Marathon have (pending community voting approval) agreed to sign DASH as Title Sponsor and 'Official Payment Partner' for the 2018 event this July 29.

We propose an experiential platform to claim an ownable space in the consumer's mind; a first-mover opportunity to define the core of the DASH brand and meaning.

In a 1-to-3 year business strategy, DASH will become the de facto sponsor of the world's MOMENTUM SPORTS, aligning itself on a human scale with events that showcase the human experience and emotions: the preparation, the commitment, the celebration.

6a00e5502b6df4883401bb09fbcba8970d-pi

The San Francisco Marathon is the premier west coast marathon. Recently celebrating 40 years, TSFM is at the leading edge of innovation and fully committed to a 'technology marathon.'

A significant opportunity for DASH awareness and adoption with a profile-raising headline:

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c9589c70970b-pi

A globally watched event showcasing a commitment to DASH core values to an audience of Silicon Valley and tech influencers.

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c9589c7b970b-pi

Unveiling of the Ogilvy or Tharp & Clark design on a global stage. Pre-race and onsite branding with significant B2C reach.

6a00e5502b6df4883401bb09fbcbac970d-pi

Guaranteed live TV coverage from CBS affiliate KPIX 5, the 2018 official media partner.

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c9589c93970b-pi

An unique opportunity for Core Team to informally meet the top 200 technology influencers as our VIP guests.

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c9589c99970b-pi

A targeted merchant outreach campaign will run in advance of, and in proximity to, specific experiences that connect the brand/transactions to potential users.

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c958ac41970b-pi

World-class photography will capture the training and race experience for local OOH and online marketing.

6a00e5502b6df4883401b7c958bb41970b-pi

A phased roll-out program will build awareness over 3 months towards marathon day.

6a00e5502b6df4883401bb09fbe9d8970d-pi

People don't remember marketing, they remember experiences. Group experiences. 'Momentum Sports' like marathons require the least advertising. They are advertisements.

6a00e5502b6df4883401b8d2e2f391970c-pi

The platform we propose is simple, direct, and organic to the brand; further, it comes with a road map for success:

What Red Bull built in the extreme sports space, DASH will build with MOMENTUM SPORTS.

Our full proposal: https://www.clearslide.com/view/mail?iID=h66Qd5Kr2qQ85jjXBL82

Legal
These are early days in the adoption of crypto. Earlier still in marketing them. There is potential legal jeopardy we must be mindful of to protect the nascent brand. Until SEC issues further guidelines on marketing, wise counsel suggests investing in a less direct approach of event sponsorship.

About Us
Household Name® is a Brooklyn-based advertising, social media, and experiential communications company with a focus on crypto. We look for synergies that combine directed outrageousness with pressure-tested analysis.

We field a team of 20+ year industry veterans of the top US agencies with extensive retail banking experience on Mastercard 'Priceless', Citibank, and BNY Mellon.

An ideas company to our core, we generate original concepts and strategies that connect ideas with brands, and brands with people.

This summer, you could be watching (or running) 'The DASH San Francisco Marathon.' Please up-vote/share to make it a reality. Together we can push DASH ahead of the crypto pack!

We look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thank you for your consideration.

Team Household Name®

Adrian Saker | Founder & Creative Director | Household Name | Brooklyn NYC

Wow! It is a very ambitious project but it will bring really good results for Dash.

It is not clear to me if your proposal contemplates if the participants of the marathon instead of making a normal registration, they do it using some chips purchased with Dash. And all the merchandise be bought with Dash, in this way it would give a lot of usability to the currency during the registration process, before and after the marathon.

Good luck, I hope your proposal is approved by the master nodes.

Wow! It is a very ambitious project but it will bring really good results for Dash.

It is not clear to me if your proposal contemplates if the participants of the marathon instead of making a normal registration, they do it using some chips purchased with Dash. And all the merchandise be bought with Dash, in this way it would give a lot of usability to the currency during the registration process, before and after the marathon.

Good luck, I hope your proposal is approved by the master nodes.

Hi Superkimb––

Yes, participants will be able to pay their marathon registration with Dash. Also merch & apparel purchase.

But the biggest coup is TSFM (a merchant) are willing to accept their sponsorship fee in Dash. This is a huge PR story in itself.

Thank you for your support!

From what I have seen heard and read, most of this advertisement campaign's have gained very little traction.
People pretty much don't seem to care, about using Dash or any other crypto as a payment method and those that are new to crypto, just want to invest in a coin that gains them millions.
Till date I have seen little to no evidence that people: respond in a way, cool thanks to the ad I learned that Dash was superior to other coins. In fact it seems like all they wanna do is promote their coin, no substance from about why their coin in anyway is a better currency, just some marketing hype words to back up their claims, and nobody to push back against them either. (Please feel free to proof to me otherwise)

If this was a much smaller portion of are current budget than yes, but right now there are far better ways to improve Dash.

What furthermore was a great eye opener was the response of Amanda, I don't have the direct quote, but it was something like this: "While trying to get into contact with mainstream media, it was clear they where not at all interested in Dash, to them the difference between Dash and btc, was simply to small." Sadly I have to agree with her, people don't get why Dash would be any better, until we have a big enough difference these types of advertisement are simply going to be very ineffective. If we do have this money to spend I much more prefer to spend it in places where the benefits of Dash are already felt, and therefor understood which means in 3th world country's seeing the need, low fee's, free education in use, and free dash, and that one time handout could potential save lives in the progress. Other places would be people that target truthers, anti-government types, anarchists and so forth. Or maybe pay people to actively be a part of discussions, to educate others, including on Reddit.

No's for me for mainstream type of things until Dash has sufficient difference from btc and other such coins.

What an interesting and exciting proposal!

However, I have to echo what a few others have said... it may not be the best use of funds to push for mainstream advertising/adoption until "Evolution" is out and there's a more noticeable difference between BTC and Dash to the average user. Once it becomes clear it's much easier to use, then yes it would be an easy yes vote for these types of sponsorships for me.

On the other hand... if I could get a 50% discount on my ticket, I would 100% find a way to get Dash, no matter how difficult it is! I would *probably* find a way to get Dash for a 15-20% discount (similar to Purse.io for Amazon or Bitcart for gift cards). I *might even* find a way to get Dash for a 5-10% discount. People will jump through hoops for a discount. To get a few cent discount, people still clip coupons.

You said you'd try to negotiate a discount to accept Dash, let's hear what kind of deal you can get for getting a discount for using Dash. Perhaps the MNO's would even be willing to "subsidize" the payment fee to TSFM if people are paying in Dash (i.e. give a 50% discount and supplement the rest, or maybe just 40%, from the treasury). The numbers may be a bit extreme and should be tweaked by someone with more expertise, but that's the idea.

tldr; 50% off tickets by paying in Dash would make me ignore the "volatility risk" of holding Dash and find a way to navigate the difficult buying process, perhaps even ask my employer to pay me in Dash.

What an interesting and exciting proposal!

However, I have to echo what a few others have said... it may not be the best use of funds to push for mainstream advertising/adoption until "Evolution" is out and there's a more noticeable difference between BTC and Dash to the average user. Once it becomes clear it's much easier to use, then yes it would be an easy yes vote for these types of sponsorships for me.

On the other hand... if I could get a 50% discount on my ticket, I would 100% find a way to get Dash, no matter how difficult it is! I would *probably* find a way to get Dash for a 15-20% discount (similar to Purse.io for Amazon or Bitcart for gift cards). I *might even* find a way to get Dash for a 5-10% discount. People will jump through hoops for a discount. To get a few cent discount, people still clip coupons.

You said you'd try to negotiate a discount to accept Dash, let's hear what kind of deal you can get for getting a discount for using Dash. Perhaps the MNO's would even be willing to "subsidize" the payment fee to TSFM if people are paying in Dash (i.e. give a 50% discount and supplement the rest, or maybe just 40%, from the treasury). The numbers may be a bit extreme and should be tweaked by someone with more expertise, but that's the idea.

tldr; 50% off tickets by paying in Dash would make me ignore the "volatility risk" of holding Dash and find a way to navigate the difficult buying process, perhaps even ask my employer to pay me in Dash.

Hi Geo––

Household Name and the Marathon Partnership Team have taken on board community comments about the shrinking treasury.

Know that we are currently in deep negotiation to arrive at a solution that delivers ROI for Dash, covers TSFM event costs, allows MN to vote "yes"...and doesn't break the bank.

We hope to share a solution in the coming days. Thank you for your continuing patience and support.

From what I have seen heard and read, most of this advertisement campaign's have gained very little traction.
People pretty much don't seem to care, about using Dash or any other crypto as a payment method and those that are new to crypto, just want to invest in a coin that gains them millions.
Till date I have seen little to no evidence that people: respond in a way, cool thanks to the ad I learned that Dash was superior to other coins. In fact it seems like all they wanna do is promote their coin, no substance from about why their coin in anyway is a better currency, just some marketing hype words to back up their claims, and nobody to push back against them either. (Please feel free to proof to me otherwise)

If this was a much smaller portion of are current budget than yes, but right now there are far better ways to improve Dash.

What furthermore was a great eye opener was the response of Amanda, I don't have the direct quote, but it was something like this: "While trying to get into contact with mainstream media, it was clear they where not at all interested in Dash, to them the difference between Dash and btc, was simply to small." Sadly I have to agree with her, people don't get why Dash would be any better, until we have a big enough difference these types of advertisement are simply going to be very ineffective. If we do have this money to spend I much more prefer to spend it in places where the benefits of Dash are already felt, and therefor understood which means in 3th world country's seeing the need, low fee's, free education in use, and free dash, and that one time handout could potential save lives in the progress. Other places would be people that target truthers, anti-government types, anarchists and so forth. Or maybe pay people to actively be a part of discussions, to educate others, including on Reddit.

No's for me for mainstream type of things until Dash has sufficient difference from btc and other such coins.

Hi Philosofer––

Thank you for taking the time to read our (long!) proposal, and leave your comments.

We counsel brand-building DASH via sponsorship because digital/traditional advertising will not be viable for cryptos from June onwards.

We're working on a revised budget that does not drain the treasury and push out all other proposals.

Thank you for responding but, your not providing any information that would change my opinion on the matter.
Please provide proof these type of advertisement have desired effect (aka more people investing in Dash).

IF marketing is key, I would much sooner vote to spend this money on the Dash.org website, it really needs upgrading.
None of these hyped up coins even come close to spending money on these types of events yet the beat us in promoting their vaporware/whitepapers/no product.

Thank you for responding but, your not providing any information that would change my opinion on the matter.
Please provide proof these type of advertisement have desired effect (aka more people investing in Dash).

IF marketing is key, I would much sooner vote to spend this money on the Dash.org website, it really needs upgrading.
None of these hyped up coins even come close to spending money on these types of events yet the beat us in promoting their vaporware/whitepapers/no product.

Hi Philosofer––

Sponsoring a major marathon by a crypto has not been done before (that's the opportunity) so there are no metrics as yet.

Core/other proposals may choose to build a new website of course––that's not our remit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back