• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal for Proposal Fee Rebates

Would you accept this proposal?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
Second try...

Initial Ramble

As many of you know, there has been much discussion regarding the current 5 dash proposal fee. In fact, at this time of writing, there is an active proposal to reduce the proposal fee to 1 dash (approximately US$75). This debate has clearly divided opinion.

The original 5 dash proposal fee was introduced as a mechanism to reduce spam. To date, this has worked relatively successfully. However, the current US dollar price of dash is leading some people to question if the high fee is stifling progress.

Clearly, none of us can be sure what impact a change in proposal fee will bring. However, if the 1 dash proposal passes, I am willing to at least give it a try If it becomes clear the 1 dash proposal is not working, I would consider making the following proposal ASAP.

The Idea

I suggest all proposal fees are set to 5 dash which is sent to a time-locked address (end of budget period). At the time of the Superblock, a 4 dash rebate is returned to the proposer provided the proposal has successfully passed.

That's it!

Second try...

Initial Ramble

As many of you know, there has been much discussion regarding the current 5 dash proposal fee. In fact, at this time of writing, there is an active proposal to reduce the proposal fee to 1 dash (approximately US$75). This debate has clearly divided opinion.

The original 5 dash proposal fee was introduced as a mechanism to reduce spam. To date, this has worked relatively successfully. However, the current US dollar price of dash is leading some people to question if the high fee is stifling progress.

Clearly, none of us can be sure what impact a change in proposal fee will bring. However, if the 1 dash proposal passes, I am willing to at least give it a try If it becomes clear the 1 dash proposal is not working, I would consider making the following proposal ASAP.

The Idea

I suggest all proposal fees are set to 5 dash which is sent to a time-locked address (end of budget period). At the time of the Superblock, a 4 dash rebate is returned to the proposer provided the proposal has successfully passed.

That's it!
I could support this if we make that rebate subject to some MN vote result metric, say rebate only IF the 'Yes' votes exceed the 'No' votes. If the mn's had to spend time dealing with and evaluating a proposal that didn't meet a baseline criteria, then insufficient value was achieved to justify a rebate.

Maybe even a sliding rebate computed somehow on the vote results! The more Yes vs No, the more rebate. This is basically extending the idea already in place whereby approved proposals may have their entire fee rebated in the ask price.

Last edited:
I could support this if we make that rebate subject to some MN vote result metric, say rebate only IF the 'Yes' votes exceed the 'No' votes. If the mn's had to spend time dealing with and evaluating a proposal that didn't meet a baseline criteria, then insufficient value was achieved to justify a rebate.

Maybe even a tiered rebate based on the vote results! More Yes vs No, more rebate

Well, a successful proposal gets 10% net yes votes. I'm not sure other metrics are necessary, it it gets funded then so be it.

How is it different from including 5 DASH into requested amount?
Regarding my comment, the current proposal fee is only refunded for proposal approval (via the requested funding amount). If the proposal is rejected by 1 vote, no rebate. Some are protesting that this is too high a barrier and discussing alternatives like lowering the fee.

Rather than lowering the fee, we could implement some sliding scale algorithm that rebates a portion of the fee linearly (or whatever) from 0 to 100% according to vote results if YES - NO votes > 0 but less than approval criteria. The idea is that missing approval by just a small amount of votes merits a smaller fee even though the proposal failed...it demonstrated value as judged by MNO's. This would function as a lower barrier based on merit (vs. a universally lower fee), essentially.

I'm not suggesting what the right algorithm is, just that providing a variable amount of fee rebate, even for proposals that don't reach full approval, might be a better way to address the intent of the 'lower fee' debate.

Regarding my comment, the current proposal fee is only refunded for proposal approval (via the requested funding amount). If the proposal is rejected by 1 vote, no rebate. Some are protesting that this is too high a barrier and discussing alternatives like lowering the fee.

Rather than lowering the fee, we could implement some sliding scale algorithm that rebates a portion of the fee linearly (or whatever) from 0 to 100% according to vote results if YES - NO votes > 0 but less than approval criteria. The idea is that missing approval by just a small amount of votes merits a smaller fee even though the proposal failed...it demonstrated value as judged by MNO's. This would function as a lower barrier based on merit (vs. a universally lower fee), essentially.

I'm not suggesting what the right algorithm is, just that providing a variable amount of fee rebate, even for proposals that don't reach full approval, might be a better way to address the intent of the 'lower fee' debate.

See my latest attempt! https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/pre-proposal-for-time-based-proposal-fee-rebates.14505/

Back