Pre-Proposal Discussion - OpenBazaar / Dash Integration

S

snogcel

Hey Guys,

A thought came to me that I wanted to open for initial discussion.

Inclusion into the OpenBazaar project would be huge for Dash. This open source project has been under development for a long time but I think once it's finally released will get a huge amount of PR, and with any luck could end up being really a big deal for online commerce. Benefits I can see right away are:

- mention of Dash in promotional pieces about the platform
- adoption / real world usage of Dash

With DGB in place we finally have a means to make this happen. We have the funding to hire a top notch Python programmer and realize this goal, why not do it? Imagine the following approach:

Phase 1 - SRS

Hire a Python Developer (freelancer on a site like Upwork) to assemble an SRS for Dash integration into OpenBazaar. I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks presently is that no one knows the scope and projected cost of this type of integration. This would present a relatively low risk way to get a sense of the true scope of a proper integration.

Key Deliverables:

- Functional Requirements of Dash Integration: How and where would it fit into the current design of OpenBazaar User Interface?

- Technical Requirements of Dash Integration: What specifically would be required to integrate Dash as a payment mechanism.

- Estimate of Effort: How many hours of development would be required to accomplish these two items.

Phase 2 -

With a clear SRS defined, put this job out for bidding. The developer / firm who created the SRS would be invited to bid and would be the most logical candidate. However, in the interest of maximum value it would be ideal to get competitive bids.

Phase 3 -

Create a follow-up budget proposal using the information gathered in Phase 1 & 2. If approved, we make this thing happen!

What do you all think?

dashboard

Sep 26, 2015
The biggest stumbling block is that OB currently relies on bitcoin for multisig payments/deposits.
You could use Dash without integration, by specifying that payment must be made in Dash, except for the tiny amount required for multisig parts. It wouldn't be smooth but it can work as is, I believe.

S

snogcel

The biggest stumbling block is that OB currently relies on bitcoin for multisig payments/deposits.
You could use Dash without integration, by specifying that payment must be made in Dash, except for the tiny amount required for multisig parts. It wouldn't be smooth but it can work as is, I believe.
Very interesting, I didn't realize that. Would be really interested to see how hard it would be to drop Dash in place of bitcoin in that respect, from a tech perspective Dash is completely compatible with bitcoin multisig isn't it? I think we'd need a 100% solution if this were to really gain any traction.

stan.distortion

Oct 30, 2014
How's it looking now? I was running it a few months ago but it seemed to be a long way from ready back then.

S

snogcel

How's it looking now? I was running it a few months ago but it seemed to be a long way from ready back then.
They're targeting a version 1 launch in November according to their website, seems like it's pretty close. I tried it out a few months back as well and was left with the same impression. If I get some time this week I might pull the Server / Client from their repo and give it a spin

tungfa

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 9, 2014
akhavr looked into this for us before (sorry for hustling you ever since) I think you have a pretty good picture what would be needed ?
I would totally support this as OB I believe would be great for Dash , but I am not sure how far they are .
yidakee you tried it out a couple of time ?

stan.distortion

Oct 30, 2014
They're targeting a version 1 launch in November according to their website, seems like it's pretty close. I tried it out a few months back as well and was left with the same impression. If I get some time this week I might pull the Server / Client from their repo and give it a spin
Cool, it looked very promising. I thought they may have bitten off a little more than they could chew at the time but if it really is getting close it'd be well worth looking at. Didn't they have some parts that depended on Bitcoin-XTs extra features or an I thinking of lighthouse? Might try and get it running again sometime in the coming week here too, would like to see how its coming along.

mastermined

May 26, 2014
DASH has multisig. not sure if that's what you are asking.

Reactions: studioz

akhavr

Oct 11, 2014
I've checked OpenBazaar and the roadmap for the integration is pretty clear. The easier part would be just to substitute BTC for DASH in the entire OpenBazaar.

Much bigger goal would be to make OpenBazaar multicurrency, so one would be able to see both BTC and DASH (and other currency) products and pay in different ways.

akhavr

Oct 11, 2014
And re SRS and other document deliverables (vs code deliverables)... As soon as we, as the community would decide what exactly we would want OpenBazaar/DASH would like, I can ran it by my company and get project plan and initial estimate. For free.

To do it, someone else but me, should install OpenBazaar, play with it and describe the vision using screenshots/mockups.

stan.distortion

Oct 30, 2014
tx akhavr for your feedback (I knew you are the man to ask)

anybody wants to team up ? send me screenshots and I photoshop them into Dash (accepted + we talk about this)
what do you think ?
If I get to set it up I should be able to do something there. Maybe worth seeing what Dash can offer over Bitcoin, InstantX is an obvious plus but the decentralised API Evan mentioned could be a game changer.

Reactions: studioz and tungfa

yidakee

Foundation Member
Apr 16, 2014
Last I heard OB was 100% behind using Dash, despite not being able to dedicate the time to port BITC stuff over to Dash. So I'm 99,9999% certain they'd be happy to merge any branch we come up with.

Anyone here thinking "hmmm great blockchain budget proposal..." ... Question is, who has python skills amongst us?

Reactions: studioz

akhavr

Oct 11, 2014
Last I heard OB was 100% behind using Dash, despite not being able to dedicate the time to port BITC stuff over to Dash. So I'm 99,9999% certain they'd be happy to merge any branch we come up with.
I guess most difficult part of the porting was already done. If anyone, knowing some python, having some time to spend on OB/DASH - please PM me, perhaps we will be able to do it. I know what has to be done and how, but lack time.

Anyone here thinking "hmmm great blockchain budget proposal..." ... Question is, who has python skills amongst us?
/me hides ;)

Reactions: studioz and tungfa

tungfa

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014
I guess most difficult part of the porting was already done. If anyone, knowing some python, having some time to spend on OB/DASH - please PM me, perhaps we will be able to do it. I know what has to be done and how, but lack time.

/me hides ;)
would you have time if we "find" you a budget ?

akhavr

Oct 11, 2014
would you have time if we "find" you a budget ?
Sorry, no. As I've told you before - it's really a time issue, not money issue: I can't drop my business and expect it to run itself, even if I'd like to spend on DASH lots and lots of time.

Yet, as I've wrote above - I can lead even a junior python dev, that's willing to spend his time on OB-DASH

tungfa

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014
Sorry, no. As I've told you before - it's really a time issue, not money issue: I can't drop my business and expect it to run itself, even if I'd like to spend on DASH lots and lots of time.

Yet, as I've wrote above - I can lead even a junior python dev, that's willing to spend his time on OB-DASH
ok no problem
I totally understand , sorry had to double check there !

ok great, let's find somebody
;)

dashboard

Sep 26, 2015
DASH has multisig. not sure if that's what you are asking.
It's not only that, although this multisig capability would be used - there are also various other places where there are no DASH equivalents, for example their integration with Onename. Without a BTC address, that chunk of functionality would be lacking.

akhavr: "I've checked OpenBazaar and the roadmap for the integration is pretty clear. The easier part would be just to substitute BTC for DASH in the entire OpenBazaar."

And where is that roadmap for the integration of Dash?

The easiest part is not to substitute Dash in the entire OB, but to use the BTC version and quote prices in DASH.

Reactions: stan.distortion

stan.distortion

Oct 30, 2014
Have openbaazar client and server in and running, ISP port issues though, will try and get that sorted (yet again) tomorrow. Not got my head around any of it yet, changed a hell of a lot since I last looked at it and obviously lots still to do on the client but looking good. Last link might be useful, not much noob friendly info:
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar-Server
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar-Client
http://grimtech.net/installing-openbazaar-beta-on-ubuntu-early-october-2015/

Couple more I needed, shouldn't be necessary but leaving here for future ref.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28987891/patch-pyopenssl-for-sslv3-issue
https://github.com/ForbesLindesay/spawn-sync/issues/24

dashboard

Sep 26, 2015
But then pay again in BTC?
No, you just pay "offline" so to speak, outside of OB.

For example I sell a T-Shirt, and quote price as 10 Dash and 0.0001 BTC.
Now, buyers would have to be really careful to read product description to see the price is not *just* 0.0001 BTC, but also 10 Dash (which would be prominently displayed in product description).
Now at this point you'd have to manually create a multisig dash address for the 3 parties (you, vendor, moderator) and basically duplicate the setup that exists in OB for BTC, and transfer 10 Dash to that address, and 0.0001 BTC to the OB "transaction" address. The vendor would deliver the item and then 2 of 3 parties would have to release the funds from the both addresses.
It's manual and requires hassling with the multisig part, but it doesn't require any development.

In my opinion releasing a Dash version would be the worst idea because maintenance would be expensive.
The manual process above could be made more user friendly and submitted as a patch to OB, that would be the preferred way if the price was right.
It may be better to wait 2-3 months until the code is stable, but that's just me.

Walter

Jul 17, 2014
I'm sure we can find a solution here... How much $ or Dash do you think it would cost to hire a (junior) python dev to complete a project like this? This sort of situation is exactly what the decentralized budget from the blockchain was designed to help with.

Syntax360

Apr 9, 2014
I would definitely support OpenBazaar integration. Dash is a brilliant idea, but in the aggregate, people only care about the consequences of an idea - the manner and degree to which the idea improves and changes their life. With specific regard to this point, I feel like we are in a doldrums of sorts right now. OpenBazaar would be a good springboard for giving people an opportunity to actually use Dash for something more than just speculation and trade.

My only concern is that even with seamless integration, having the option to use Dash doesn't necessarily mean that anyone will (or that they'll even notice it). I believe there is at least one "major" darknet market that has integrated Dash right along side BTC, and I'm told you would be hard-pressed to find a single vendor accepting anything other than Bitcoin.

But I suppose it all has to start somewhere... IMHO, all the marketing in the world isn't going to amount to much if a project is stuck in the "just an idea" phase. It's much easier to market around why a user ought to use Dash instead of BTC in a popular marketplace (another untested premise), versus marketing around why a person ought to care about Dash because it's very clever.

Reactions: stan.distortion

dashboard

Sep 26, 2015
I'm sure we can find a solution here... How much $ or Dash do you think it would cost to hire a (junior) python dev to complete a project like this? This sort of situation is exactly what the decentralized budget from the blockchain was designed to help with.
Presumably the idea or advantage is to improve OB's anonymity or privacy, which makes me wonder why have junior dev in charge of something like that.
In that regard Dash is different from other coins. For some random coin, it'd be enough to work (and supposedly have some strengths over BTC).
But for Dash, if you say "payments are anonymous, but parties' IP addresses are not" (or something similar like that), then anonymity or privacy certainly couldn't be characteristics of the final patch. It would be just "coin support added", which may or may not be enough (and worth the money).

Someone who understands Product Marketing should analyze the situation and make an assessment.
We're voicing opinions, some are even asking for estimates, although it's not even clear what needs to be done (example: is Tor support required or just desirable).