• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal Discussion: Jury Duty

oaxaca

Foundation Member
Pre-Proposal Discussion - Jury Duty

Civilized societies have been calling groups of people together to discuss issues as long as there have been societies. In Scandinavia this process was called a "thing". This was the governing assembly made up of the free people of the community. In the Old Testament we find this: Deuteronomy 25:1: "If there be a controversy between men, and they come unto judgment, that the judges may judge them; then they shall justify the righteous, and condemn the wicked."

In the modern DASH world, we have a similar need. Every month, budget proposals must be voted on by the masternode owners of the community. As time goes on, these proposals become more complex. This proposal will formalize the responsibilities of said masternode owners towards digesting this material.

Basic Idea

Each month a quorum of masternode owners will be selected at random from the list of active masternodes. These owners shall meet online to discuss the merits of the current batch of budget proposals. It is their job to separate the "righteous" from the "wicked".

Practical Considerations

There are hundreds of options for small groups to collaborate online. Try this search in your browser: "free online collaboration tool". One of these options can be used. 10 masternodes can be selected at random quite easily as this function already exists. These 10 Jurists will meet to discuss the merits of each proposal. At the end of their deliberations, they will create a summary of their findings with a post on dashtalk (or it's successor). The penalty for skipping Jury Duty is a one-time skipping of the next payment for that masternode.

Cost of Implementation

Members of the core team can be canvassed regarding how much work this will be to implement. It should be minimal. This work can be performed by internal programming talent or outsourced.

Rationale

Owning a masternode should involve more than simply collecting payments every X number of days. It should involve some research into the future of DASH and insuring the success of the project. Remember what Uncle Ben famously said:

223.jpg

And what if you cant speak/write fluent english?

I think this idea is good,
but but how we can discuss if half of selected masternode operators cant speak/write fluent english, like me?

And what if you cant speak/write fluent english?

I think this idea is good,
but but how we can discuss if half of selected masternode operators cant speak/write fluent english, like me?
You're doing well AjM ;)

Reactions: AjM
Should these masternode owners meet online publicly (with real-time broadcast and logs)? Should the summary be like a consensus or each jurist can write its own conclusions separately? What if 10 masternodes equal 2-3 persons or even 1 person?

Reactions: daf
Not sure if this is a joke or not :-/
That's for the community to decide. As easy it would be to dismiss this idea, it does raise issues of governance, voting, the future of DASH, responsibility, etc.

That's for the community to decide. As easy it would be to dismiss this idea, it does raise issues of governance, voting, the future of DASH, responsibility, etc.

Well yes, thats why I'm not sure. Getting the masternode owners to participate more sounds like a good idea.

3500 nodes, 10 node owners meeting once a month, 350 months between being called up = 30 years? and if you dont turn up you miss one payment?

EDIT: although I am very new here, I'm probably missing something

Maybe network could send invitation to 10 random mn owners, and if someone invited disagree,
then another random mn owner is selected/invited instead by the network.

So, no need forcing or punishing, maybe a small reward instead to all 10 selected.

I dont think i can agree with this. people setting up masternodes should not be forced into anything and certainly should not be penalized
if they dont want to participate (something my own little pre-proposal from some time ago about rewarding masternodes to vote brought to light).

Also i like to do my own research with regards to budget proposals, whether thats on Dashwhale or in this forum or on Bitcointalk.
So i think i will pass on Jury Duty .. while i still can

Last edited by a moderator:
Also i like to do my own research with regards to budget proposals, whether thats on Dashwhale or in this forum or on Bitcointalk.

By all means. This would simply create an "executive summary" if you will. How many masternode owners that wanted to vote on the proof-of-labor would have appreciated a little help.

Wouldn't be against some sort of voting for inclusion but don't think it would need to be much different to voting on budgets. Not sure how much bloat thousands of proposals would cause/if it could be an issue at some stage, if it can then an abbreviate version of proposals requesting inclusion (maybe just a URL) would save space, maybe with a floating threshold on required support for inclusion.

By all means. This would simply create an "executive summary" if you will. How many masternode owners that wanted to vote on the proof-of-labor would have appreciated a little help.

proof of labor was an exceptional difficult budget proposal to grasp, i think what we really need is a better way (or a better medium) of discussing budget proposals.
i think the new website will help with that. what i dont think is having "Jury Duty" shoved down our throath will help, we dont even have it where i live.
Frankly it feels like we are giving up some freedom here.

I'm also very new to Dash.
A major part of making the decision to get me a masternode was so I could active participate in deciding the road Dash should take. Loosing my vote right on the issues that I feel important is a but negative for me.

I'm trying to get as informed as possible, mainly via DashTalk and Slack. If I only could vote ever other time, let alone the frequently of the proposal the changes are great that I wouldn't put in the as much time to follow up all the Dash news.
We even when It's my turn for Jury Duty How would I make a balance descision?

This "jury" does not take away your vote. It would simply do some background research and post their findings.

i think "Jury Duty" is mainly an USA thing which will conflict with European masternode owners, as they have a totally different juristical system.
Which means you will hit a cultural wall pretty much right away.

I'm still not totally convinced this is not a thread created to stir up some discussion and measure "the wisdom of the crowd"

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like this idea introduces a level of complication. Having to meet, different time zones, languages, etc. Also, some people just wont want to meet, so what is a quorum exactly? And what happens if we don't achieve a quorum?

I believe in the wisdom of crowds, that's one of the reasons I invested in Dash, decentralized governance from crowds (not small groups) is the future. The more people that vote, the more efficient the process will become. We've done well so far, and as more people come into Dash, decisions will have more discussion and be more informed.

That's my two cents.

Pablo.

The more people that vote, the more efficient the process will become. We've done well so far

Well, here's some voting percentages:

Liquidity 1518 total votes 43%
Payment process 48%
Labor 21%

even no-brainers like dash.org only get 51%
core team only got 58%

That's a lot of non-voters.

Well, here's some voting percentages:

Liquidity 1518 total votes 43%
Payment process 48%
Labor 21%

even no-brainers like dash.org only get 51%
core team only got 58%

That's a lot of non-voters.

Actually its not. I remember my statistics professor saying that when people were asked to take a survey where they actually got a tangible prize (I think they got a free lunch credit or something) in a college campus, the number of people who did the survey went down every time they were asked to do it again. I would wager that for non "exciting" proposals, we should get about 18% steady so we are right around where we should be.

Also, as we gain adoption, Evan has discussed eventually lowering the amount needed to run a masternode, the number of voters will climb. 18% of a million users is a heck of a lot of people. We have to be patient and develop more mass appeal and also follow Evan's plan once the price is right.

Again, it's my two cents. I just don't see this as a problem, but I understand where you are coming from.

Pablo.

Back