• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal Discussion: Adding Dash logo to FontAwesome.io

TheDashGuy

Hey everyone!

So with me being the nerdy web designer I am, I have always been in love with perfecting my craft as much as I can.

That being said, I won't bore you guys with my life story, just know EVERY quality web designer out there loves http://fontawesome.io/icons/ and uses it for most website they build. (Its based on Bootstrap also) This is BY FAR the the most popular icon set on the web, the defacto, you could say.

And freaking Bitcoin has their own icon, I have used it for years: http://fontawesome.io/icon/btc/

So I got off my lazy butt and tweeted @FontAwesome and come to find they actually replied: https://twitter.com/fontawesome/status/727171094944309249

I emailed ol' Dave @ Font Awesome and he has informed me that:

Hey Jacob!

Brand icons are one of the ways we fund Font Awesome development. Cost to add an icon to Font Awesome is $3,000. This covers all fees and will get your icon added to the set. Your icon’s page will also have a link back to your service or site.

And we’re about to add a couple more brand icons, so could have this added sometime in roughly the next week. Happy to chat more details!

Best,
-Dave Gandy

SO what do you guys think, should we do it? I would happily pay for it myself but I honestly don't have $3k laying around right now. So I was going to propose it to the network first but I thought i'd get some opinions first.

Pros:
• This would send Dash into more of a 'Mainstream' field atleast on the web design side of things.
• A linkback from this website is easily worth $3k USD on its own, I mean look at the brands and traffic: http://www.trafficestimate.com/fontawesome.io
• We no longer have 2 use 2 separate JS libraries just to have a freaking Dash icon on a website.
• Many many more people could be exposed to Dash, that have never heard of crypto-currency at all, just by seeing our Brand logo all around the internet, as an Icon font, which loads on every device, quickly.
• Easy usage of branding for Dash
• This is a symbol to the rest of the world that Dash is here to stay. Being on fontawesome is not just something you do as part of your marketing budget, its something you do when you have begun a project that will be around for a very long time, thus people should have easy quick access to your branding.

Cons:
• Costs $3k USD

I am happy to further explain my case and show why this money would be put to use for a good cause. This could be useful for many reasons beyond just having a readily available icon in THE MOST POPULAR icon pack around, with free link-backs, descriptions and a quality icon for everyone to use.

Proof:
Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 10.19.35 AM.png

@fernando @GreyGhost @salmion @Propulsion @oaxaca @buster @fulltimegeek @InTheWoods @Solarminer and anyone else, would love some opinions on this matter.

Last edited:
I love font awesome and I would love to see Dash there.

As for the cost, it is really difficult to put a price to that. I see to paths forward:

1. Trying to negotiate, but I don't know if they will be open to that (I tend to think not)
2. Submitting a proposal in the next few hours and use the unallocated funds in this month's budget for that. I believe the proposal needs to be up 72h before the superblock, so it needs to happen before 24h and then we need to push and coordinate to get the votes, but I think that is doable.

I love font awesome and I would love to see Dash there.

As for the cost, it is really difficult to put a price to that. I see to paths forward:

1. Trying to negotiate, but I don't know if they will be open to that (I tend to think not)
2. Submitting a proposal in the next few hours and use the unallocated funds in this month's budget for that. I believe the proposal needs to be up 72h before the superblock, so it needs to happen before 24h and then we need to push and coordinate to get the votes, but I think that is doable.

I agree, the cost made me a little sad to be honest.

Maybe we can just start a savings account for whatever funds dont get used and in a month or two see if we have enough extra funds to add Dash then as well? I't doesn't have to be a RIGHT NOW sort of thing, I would just love to see the DGBB fund more real life stuff outside of the direct Dash ecosystem.

I just realized there is 6875 DASH of 7449 left in this months budget as @fernando was getting at, which is roughly $3500 usd, maybe we could just slam it through this cycle and have ourselves an awesome icon on fontawesome this time next week?

love it, great idea. icon to enable pay or login with dash included in fontawesome which is used so pervasively.

I think you should reply to them and explain that Dash is a non-profit, open-source project and not a commercial company behind the brand.
There is a chance that it might be free of charge for open-source projects.

Seems like a great idea and I'm all for the pleading non-profit-making poverty angle but if that doesn't fly for me anyway $3k is just south of my balk point. This is a near universal icon set after all.
Slightly OT here but I've always considered the btc community a little less philanthropic than that of Dash so it's got me wondering who put their hand in their pocket over there to the tune of 3k. Does anyone know?

Lol just seen how the above reads like I'm going to pull out the 3k myself - sorry that's not me but I can see the business case here and it would probably get my vote

Seems like a great idea and I'm all for the pleading non-profit-making poverty angle but if that doesn't fly for me anyway $3k is just south of my balk point. This is a near universal icon set after all.
Slightly OT here but I've always considered the btc community a little less philanthropic than that of Dash so it's got me wondering who put their hand in their pocket over there to the tune of 3k. Does anyone know?

Lol just seen how the above reads like I'm going to pull out the 3k myself - sorry that's not me but I can see the business case here and it would probably get my vote

This is a near universal icon set after all.

Thank you.

:D you're very welcome dash guy!

I'm pretty surprised in a world where existing online card companies can pull down bigger sums that 3k for proposals that read like a half hours additional coding to their existing crypto systems to integrate dash this pre-proposal isn't getting more mileage here. This is ubiquity by stealth.

I don't build Web pages but I'm pretty sure if I did and was tooling thru fontawesome and saw this new icon on the block I may take the time to check that link too. I guess the dash guy doesn't have time/energy / inclination to try the non-profit-making overtures to fontawesome- if someone wants to tell me how I do it or has any guidance I'm willing to try this but I'd be overstating my abilities in this field if I called myself a total noob. :oops:

:D you're very welcome dash guy!

I'm pretty surprised in a world where existing online card companies can pull down bigger sums that 3k for proposals that read like a half hours additional coding to their existing crypto systems to integrate dash this pre-proposal isn't getting more mileage here. This is ubiquity by stealth.

I don't build Web pages but I'm pretty sure if I did and was tooling thru fontawesome and saw this new icon on the block I may take the time to check that link too. I guess the dash guy doesn't have time/energy / inclination to try the non-profit-making overtures to fontawesome- if someone wants to tell me how I do it or has any guidance I'm willing to try this but I'd be overstating my abilities in this field if I called myself a total noob. :oops:

I dind't pursue that avenue because its not worth the time to try and convince them to do this for free for us. It won't happen.

Someone else is free to try, i'll figure out another way to get Dash on a legit icon set and not just the half assed crypto-currency one....

OK fair enough, your area of expertise not mine

No really, i'm not claiming to be an expert in persuasion... if anyone wants to email him back and explain this for us, feel free. i just wouldn't know where to start and would give up rather easily tbh because this is well worth the cost.

this is well worth the cost.

I'd say that bears repeating ;)

OK well I can try my luck I guess, the worst this guy's going to say is no.

It's going to take me a few days to channel my inner 'Tiny Tim'; ":rolleyes:pleeeze sir could you spare a farthing* for a worthy cause?!" but I'll give it a shot

*-or 3 thousand dollars

I'd say that bears repeating ;)

OK well I can try my luck I guess, the worst this guy's going to say is no.

It's going to take me a few days to channel my inner 'Tiny Tim'; ":rolleyes:pleeeze sir could you spare a farthing* for a worthy cause?!" but I'll give it a shot

*-or 3 thousand dollars

I've already linked him to this thread, I doubt he's seen it but they are familiar with Bitcoin, so they are most likely familiar with crypto in general already as well.

From the little design work I've done, I think this is a great idea and 3K isn't much for our governance system. FontAwesome is HUGE, it's not just a small-time graphics library. Maybe we could find a skilled negotiator on the Dash team (volunteer or otherwise) to try and work something out with Dave.

I'm all for this regardless.

Yea, this is definitely a worth while investment. FontAwesome is used by so many and $3000 is not that much at all for a permanent addition. Makes things a lot easier for us web designers if we have a Dash symbol sitting there, ready to use.

Sounds good to me. It seems that those of you who know this stuff believe it's worth the cost, and I trust you guys in that. It certainly would be nice to have.

Back